Favourite Sydney Haunts?

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Favourite Sydney Haunts?

Postby HappyFotographer on Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:46 am

I have 3 young children, and one on the way, so my time is very, very limited, and I just about never get out by myself.

So, upon saying that I was hoping for peoples favourite places to shoot in Sydney......if I give my man enough notice he will generally let me out of the house for a couple of hours by myself.......and I would really like to take advantage of that now.....before short person number 4 comes along.

Anyone able to give me a few pointers?

Cheers
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:38 am

RNS - St Vincents etc - but to be more serious this city has so many places that can be a joy to photograph. I’m sure that Enfield even has its little sections that would be great to photograph.

The ideal photograph IMO is the pic that no one else sees!!
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby HappyFotographer on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:44 am

You know Chris, I have lived in this city for approx 16 years, and I barely know it.

I guess I am feeling overwhelmed, and with such little time to myself I want to make the best of it.

When I first developed an interest in photography as a teenager in Coffs Harbour, my favourite haunts were the rivers/creeks in the back of Coffs, and the beaches........I find the shooting in Sydney very different and sometimes hard to get my head around.

I was thinking of maybe hitting the area around Callan Park......behind the old hospital at Rozelle I think the area is. My boys play soccer there occasionally and I noticed some amazing old buildings there......perhaps that should be my first port of call.

Thanks though for taking the time to answer my call for help.

take care
Deb
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:55 am

sirhc55 wrote:RNS - St Vincents etc - but to be more serious this city has so many places that can be a joy to photograph. I’m sure that Enfield even has its little sections that would be great to photograph.

The ideal photograph IMO is the pic that no one else sees!!

Deb,
You can shoot railway at Enfield or over the railway bridge, waiting for some trains coming, the railway bridge is opposite the Belmore North Public School.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:02 pm

Deb

Callan Park is a great idea and Birdies of the railway is another - I believe that one should always try and think and see outside the square.

For example - grafitti on walls, alley ways, dustbins, reflections in puddles - just look and you will see it
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:04 pm

By the way Deb - check out my link at

http://forum.d70users.com/viewtopic.php?t=2452
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Glen on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:17 pm

Deb, all of the above choices are great and I would back any one of them. Also you are close to Rookwood, that could be interesting especially around dusk. If you have a little more time I personally love Lavender Bay (there is a little park at the end of Walker St) it is 500m off the bridge. A pleasant ten minute walk from there will take you past Luna Park, the Bridge, Opera house etc. The Rocks is also a winner at any time.

Another thing you could try, especially fitting in with family commitments, is taking ten minutes out to take a photo of something in your yard or around your house. Sounds boring, but there may be a great photo in your front door or some other mundane item you walk past every day. Matt K is great at taking ordinary looking items or sights and turning them into great photos. It may be something as simple as the old doorknob on a garden shed. Try it and you may surprise yourself.
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:19 pm

I'm not a Sydneysider (live in Newcastle), but was at the long lens meet at Blues Point in North Sydney earlier this year. I'd have to say it would be a pretty good spot for you. Sweeping harbour views, boats, opera house, harbour bridge. Since it faces East you can get some interesting shots at dawn if the little ones have woken you up early enough! And if you go for a 5 minute walk around the corner you can see the Anzac bridge in the distance.

Some pics taken there are here, here and here
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Hawksbury/Nepean rivers might have photogenic appeal too. Then there's the Blue Mtns, endless choices of scenics, waterfalls, nature spotting, etc. but they are a fair distance to travel.
Onyx

Postby MHD on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Manly ferry at sunset
City -> Sunset -> Manly
Manly -> night Shots -> City
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Back to the original thread from Happyphotogarpher,
She can only has couple hours so please give her some ideas of the shotest trip and convenient with her limit of timing.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby huynhie on Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:48 pm

Greetings

If you like the sea air then I would suggest the Bondi beach, Turramurra to Coogee walk. If you want to include the family then head down to Watsons bay and grab yourself some Fish and Chip to eat at the park.

You can also head down to the Rocks, over to Observatory hill then onto the Stone pylon of the Sydney Harbour bridge for some nice views.

If its gardening and flowers that you like then pop over to the Auburn botanic gardens or the Sydney botanic gardens.

If taking night/sunset shots is your cup of tea then what better place to go then Mrs Macquarie's chair or Luna Park (your children might enjor this one as well).

Do these suggestions help?
huynhie

Postby Wacky on Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:49 pm

huynhie wrote:Greetings

If you like the sea air then I would suggest the Bondi beach, Turramurra to Coogee walk.?
 LOL...that'd be a long walk!!! Maybe the Tamarama to Coogee walk would be a little easier ;)
Wacky

Postby gstark on Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:59 pm

Wacky wrote:
huynhie wrote:Greetings

If you like the sea air then I would suggest the Bondi beach, Turramurra to Coogee walk.?
 LOL...that'd be a long walk!!! Maybe the Tamarama to Coogee walk would be a little easier ;)

Good point. :)

As for the fish and chips, give Watson's Bay a miss. Doyle's is perhaps the most overrated eatery in Sydney. Instead, go to the fish'n'chippery on Campbell Parade, next to the Noodle King. Grab whatever to take away, and wander across the road to Bondi Park and enjoy your meal, being sure to hand feed the seagulls some of your chips.

And be sure to get a deep fried Mars Bar for desert.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gleff on Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:09 pm

I know this thread is a little old, but I was thinking of going up to the Quarantine Station at North Head and taking a few shots. Not sure how good the tours are these days since the hospital burnt down, but hopefully it's still pretty good.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby jethro on Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:48 pm

the royal national park is a good start. theres the tram museum at loftus which is just down the road from me looks pretty interesting. and then theres audley in the park and bucket loads more. being a busy mom maybe shoot the brats not literally you know what i mean or the boss or some garden worms anything thats outside the square. GOOD LUCK!
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas