Story of my challenge 5 submission - "Wave"

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Story of my challenge 5 submission - "Wave"

Postby thaddeus on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:14 pm

I thought I'd share the story behind my round 1 submission. I know it's not the greatest photo for the theme, but perhaps the story is interesting nonetheless.

I'd been thinking of various decisive moments and handn't really got a good one, so I was hoping to get a bit more time in round 2.
I thought that there was a rule that you couldn't enter round 2 unless you entered in round 1. Leek told me that there wasn't, but I couldn't confirm that from threads so I thought I might as well put something in just in case!

About 6 months ago a lorikeet arrived on my windowsill and I thought it was great that the wildlife was so close to the city. A week or so later I was shopping and saw a package with giant lorikeet on it. It purported to be a mix of stuff which would attract lorikeets. So I bought some and put it on the windowsill.

A few days later i had my first customers!

As they got used to me, they let me take some more shots

But the shot I really wanted was one of them flying. I tried and tried, and found it was really hard. Firstly, the light was always wrong. Secondly, they were always in the wrong position. Thirdly, there was so much motion blur that it made most of the shots look too blurred

So I started using fill flash, which worked quite nicely. Unfortunately I only have the built-in flash, so I couldn't get too clever with it. Over the months the birds got used to me clicking away.

The problem was the particular window they came to was at a bad angle for the light. I tried to get them to come to another window but they wouldn't. Then one day as I was filling up the bowl, one landed on my arm. Aha! I thought. I can use this to move them to another window.

So then I started feeding them by hand, and got them used to the sight of a yellow bird dish. They watched it as I carried it from window to window, room to room.

Finally I could open my lounge-room window, hold out the dish and they would land! I was reasonably happy with this: the idea of the bush life surviving in the city.

But it looked too tame. I wanted to get that back-drop and a bird flying at the same time. This proved really really difficult. I mean: hundreds, if not thousands of shots in burst mode.

After plenty of trial and error, the best I could get was this, which unfortunately lost most of the background.

I kept trying to get birds in flight. My best results were in the afternoon when the window was out of the shadow and then use a bit of fill flash to freeze the motion.

With some practice, I could get plenty of shots like this, but who wants to see a bird flying away from you?

Then one day I lucked it and finally got a half-reasonable shot which showed bush life in the city.
The fill flash and motion gives it a bit of an etheral effect, which I find quite interesting.

I continue to feed the birds each day and they certainly let me know if I'm running late - they kick up quite a fuss. There are about 10 that come around now. I don't usually take photos any more because I think I've reached the limit of what I can achieve in the present location. Ideally I'd have a window which gets a lot more light and have a decent flash and diffuser. One day!

I hope you enjoyed the story and I recommend that bird mix - they love it!
thaddeus

Postby ajo43 on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:20 pm

Thaddues,

Great story and nice shots mate. I reckon the last one could get in a wildlife mag if you sent it off.

I'm impressed with the results you got from the fill flash.

Cheers

Jonesy
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby Jamie on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:21 pm

Great story and some great pictures there. 8)

Jamie
Jamie

Postby redline on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:27 pm

i reckon the blurry shot of the bird was better thaddeus.
i really didn't like the flash, too much of a good thing i guess
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby kipper on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:34 pm

While I think it is a great story, and it's amazing that the birds have become so tame that they land on your arm. The overuse of the fill flash in the shot kind of ruins it. Also not sure what aperture you were using but the background is still fairly sharp which means you have still a fair bit of DOF. Would of been nice if the background was OOF.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby PlatinumWeaver on Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:44 pm

The Better Half wrote:Someone should let thaddeus know that if he feeds the birds every single day, then they will come to depend on him and when he eventually moves, it's likely some of them will actually starve to death

Sorry to bring the mood down..
PlatinumWeaver / Dean
Asking the Stupid Questions
<a href="http://www.platinumweaver.net/" alt="PlatinumWeaver Homepage">http://www.platinumweaver.net/</a>
PlatinumWeaver

Postby embi on Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Ah if only we could get the story behind each shot....

Thats a lot of effort involved there
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby stubbsy on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:24 am

Thaddeus

Thanks for sharing this. I was very intrigued by how you'd managed this and its great to know.

I think this is a good example of what the comps are about. It's not ONLY about taking the shot, it's about the path we travel to get there.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Oneputt on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:29 am

Thaddeus great story and great determination to get what you wanted. Well done.

But had you thought of using layers of different shots to get the background that you wanted?
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Killakoala on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:52 pm

Oneputt wrote:Thaddeus great story and great determination to get what you wanted. Well done.

But had you thought of using layers of different shots to get the background that you wanted?

Of course that would be against the rules of the comp, but would be ideal if you wanted to print the photo out later ;)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Thaddeus, great story and great image. I actually guessed it was you judging by the background. In contrast to Kippers opinion, I think the DOF is wonderful and really shows nature juxtaposed against the urban enviroment. I like it.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby thaddeus on Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:37 pm

Thanks for your comments.

Redline and Kipper, I am hoping that Birddog will take pity on my attempts at using the in-built flash and create a special "you really need a decent flash" prize. :-)

PlatinumWeaver, Please let your Better half know that I am also concerned about this. I keep the food limited, plus there are many, many people in this neighbourhood who feed the birds. I have been away for weeks at a time and when I come back it takes a day or so for them to see that I am back and I see the same birds time and time again (a few are easy to recognise due to injuries.)

Oneputt, I would prefer not to use layers, even outside the competition. I want it to be completely real. The shot I want is one of the birds flying with the harbour bridge in the background. I got close with the hand feeding so will try that again when the light is good. But I really need a tripod instead of trying to do everything at once!

Glen, yes I was a bit worried about the anonymity, however I saw the "no helicopters" rule and figured that as long as I didn't breach that, I should be okay!
thaddeus

Postby xerubus on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:11 pm

awesome story and an incredibly well executed shot.... you've inspired me to start attracting these great little birds to my house :)
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Matt. K on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:13 pm

thaddeus
Birdman of Sydney! Great story...you have a way with the birds, a skill I have been trying to fine tune since puberty! Excellent pictures. I have to admit that some members I know were not sure if the pic was straight out of the camera or had been fiddled in Pshop. Not knowing who took it they may have been reluctant to vote for it. It had a kind of bizaar look to it that only now makes sense. The amount of time you put into bringing this image to fruition makes you worthy of an award regardless of outcome.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby embi on Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:18 pm

Matt. K wrote:....Not knowing who took it they may have been reluctant to vote for it....

I'd hope that wasn't the case. Isn't the whole concept to be anon.

I'm sure none of us would go against the rules as far as PS'ing an image for something as important as this challenge.

Maybe I am just naive.
"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're probably not close enough." Robert Capa.

D70 - Nikon 18-70 (Kit Lens), 50mm f1.4, 70-300G, SB-800, Manfrotto 190D tripod, 141RC head, and 676B monopod.
embi

Postby thaddeus on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:36 am

Matt. K wrote:I have to admit that some members I know were not sure if the pic was straight out of the camera or had been fiddled in Pshop. Not knowing who took it they may have been reluctant to vote for it.

That's very disappointing to hear. I hope that next time they will raise their concerns with the person running the gallery who could email me and I could supply the original file from the camera for validation.
thaddeus

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas