Boston what and where to shoot

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Boston what and where to shoot

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:32 am

Looks like come late October I'll be in Boston for about a week. I will be working, but when I'm not I want to make the most of being in a different country and take plenty of shots.

Just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the area, or has any suggestions on what to shoot ?

Cheers,
Craig
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:55 am

Craig,

The waterfront is great, and make sure you take a half day or so and get up to where the witches were burned at the stake. It's one of the very few tourist villages that I've visitied that I enjoyed.

If you're driving, be aware that Boston drivers are the most agressive in the world. That car that you thought was behind you in the lane at the toll plaza will be in front of you before you can say "pardon?"
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:07 am

Well works office is actually on a wharf, so I'm hoping for some good photo from works door step. So far I can't convince the wife to take the D70 out by herself.. she seems more then happy with just her Kodak P&S but maybe that's for the best.
Alpha_7

Postby radar on Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:45 am

Craig,

not sure exactly your timing in late Oct, but autumn colours in New England are spectacular, so if you are not too late, try to get out of Boston for a few hours and the autunm colours will give you plenty of great photos,

If you like sports, the ice hockey season is on, so try to catch a game at the Garden. Bring a fast lens :)

Cheers,

radar
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Thanks Radar,

The dates are inside the window of 16th to 23rd and then on to Singapore (going to be a big climate shock). When we were looking at going previously it was going to be first week of Oct, the wife had considered a Autumn Leaves tour, hopefully theres some left, or there some early snow. I've only got the standard 18-70, and 70-300G but if I can get to the hockey I'll try to do my best with what I've got.

Are there any significant landmarks or features close to Boston for photo opps ? We had hoped for a trip to Niagra falls, but I don't think time will allow for it.
Alpha_7

Postby radar on Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:20 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:Are there any significant landmarks or features close to Boston for photo opps ? We had hoped for a trip to Niagra falls, but I don't think time will allow for it.

You should still have some autumn colours, unless they have some early frosts. Would be very uncommon to have snow in Boston at that time.

For me, I would not bother with Niagara Falls, big tourist trap, but if you decide to go, go on the Canadian side, much nicer view of the falls. People are nice on that side of the border. Note that you would have to fly there from Boston, probably to Buffalo would be easiest. If you fly to Toronto, it's still a couple hours drive to Niagara Falls from Toronto.

Cheers

radar the Canuck :)
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas