Adelaide zoo Panda bookings

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Adelaide zoo Panda bookings

Postby DebT on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 am

Hi,
Panda tickets now available online for members http://www.zoossa.com.au/

Karl & I have ours for Friday 18th 8:15 although when I used the booking form and added another member I only received an eticket for 1 ...so I booked his individually and received a separate confirmation

It's a bit scarey that they seem to be issuing 400 plus tickets per 1 hour session ??? anyway get in early and perhaps beat the school holiday rush with the early opening time

My reliable source tells me that they are not yet in isolation in China (so this is a bit behind schedule) and that as Chinese bamboo will not be allowed in Aust we can only hope they like our variety or they will get very thin ...seems a bit silly they haven't sent any of our over for the taste test

ps it allowed us to make multiple bookings so grabbed a 5:15 -6:15 slot on the 27th also

DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Re: Adelaide zoo Panda bookings

Postby Chica on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi Deb
I am definitely planning to book a time that will avoid the school holiday excitement. I think going early makes sense. 400 people? Thats ridic.... hopefully not that many will turn up!
Chica

Postby DebT on Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Hi Chica,
yes not sure about the numbers ...when I booked it showed 469 vacancies at 8:15, 475 for the next session but only 50 at each session throughout the day ???? so perhaps there is a hickup with their spreadshhet as 50 per session seems more realistic - I may give them a call tomorrow ...but yes definately worth the early times in the first week
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby sophina on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:25 pm

Do you think London Zoo would allow you to get closer to some animals for an art project at uni? Obviously not near tigers and stuff, but all the animals are hidden by a cage or glass and getting great photographs is not easy. Do you think they would allow special treatment in situation like this? I am thinking of making a zoo magazine or something. What do you think?
Last edited by sophina on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sophina

Postby DebT on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 am

Hi Sophia, welcome to the forum
to be perfectly honest I have no idea what London zoo may allow , just wish I had the money to travel there and find out .. I live in South Australia and visit Adelaide zoo .
However I can offer the following ..
if your intent is to make a zoo magazine then I suggest contacting them to talk through your plan and see if you can join their 'list' of official zoo photographers , or what zoo member close encounters they have available
Alternately it is possible to take photos through glass just needs a lot of practice and a few techniques to try eg
placing lens directly on glass , use a Circular polarizing filter, taking a black jumper to throw around the end of the lens to block reflections, wearing black to negate your own reflections, studying the enclosure for the best time of day and position, choose very overcast day , using Photoshop on the finished product ...your gear and lens choice also affect your options. Recommend searching the web for tutorials also.
You could also search the web to find (eg flickr or red bubble) to find photos taken at London zoo then contact the photographers and ask what they did to get the good shots , or join a local photo club ..
Sorry I'm probably not a lot of help but it does take a fair bit of practice so can only encourage you to keep trying until you find what works for you
DebT
DebT
DebT

Return to Adelaide and Perth