Pandas in Adelaide

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pandas in Adelaide

Postby DebT on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi, well we have been seen and shot the Pandas in Adelaide ..at long last
8:15 am crowd around 250 but well organised and the pandas were eating and playing
the enclosure (during quarantine) somewhat difficult (understatement) , the glass is 1 in thick and each panel is a different angle so LOTS of reflections from all sides, and overhead, lots of reflections and colors from crowds, and over enclosure fluro lighs reflect on inside of glass ...mmmm
our few minutes near the glass was enjoyable but not enough to work out how to get the best shots
using the 24-70 2.4 I was a bit slow and even with CP against the glass and hand shielding reflections not a great 1st attempt
went back for the 3:15 session crowd under 50 , really great except the pandas were asleep so lots of bums and backs
used the nifty 50 1.8 - much better

after a pass in the front row you go behind the 'fence' until everyone passes by - if you get a clear shot from the distance good luck - but not impossible if the pandas are on the rocks, then they take the 'fence' down so you can go back to the glass and shoot - most of the mums and kids had gone by then so quite OK

While no great shots today I am encouaged to go back again and again and think we will eventually get them sorted.
The outside enclosures will be sensational after Jan .

The best thing is the zoo appears to be open from 8:15 so tomorrow I'm going again but sneaking off to the tigers first off and may try the pandas a bit later in the morning .
The bad thing the back gate and old front gate are no longer open so park near the new gate to save a very long walk PS did take a couple of nice head shots with the 300 from the back of the room but had the milky haze from the reflections - but something to work on
Have fun
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Re: Pandas in Adelaide

Postby DanielA on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks for the recon Deb. :D

I'm heading in Sunday. I was planning on using the 80-400 to just focus on headshots (trying to minimise reflections), but it sounds like it's very dark. Might have to reconsider...

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby DebT on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi, no it's not dark but if you don't stand up the front almost on the glass everyone will stand in front of you - there is also a ledge the kids stand on making them really tall in the front row ..so it's more a case of getting a clear shot . This morning they were only a couple of feet behind the glass and the enclosure is probably only 5-6 m deep , plus they were moving their head around . This arvo they hardly moved and were about 3 m from the glass . When I stood back it was difficult to find a spot where there was no glare (and the CP didn't remove all) and the panda was in shot
You may be fine with that lense but suggest you pack something a bit shorter in case.
I got a head shot with the 300 but was at the back of the room aprox 15m from the glass and got a lucky 30 seconds when no one stood in front of me.
I'm off again tomorrow 8:15 so will add an update if I learn anything further tomorrow. PS have a look at the #2's - they are delivered gift wrapped - quite extrodinary
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby Chica on Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:13 am

Hey Deb :-)

Glad you have met the celebrities :-) We are going on Dev 27 at 8:15 but might try and go along sooner than that. Did you book the 3:15 session online or at the zoo?

Like your nigty fifty pic.... I will take ours too.

Cathy
Chica

Postby DebT on Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:46 am

Hi,
got the 3:15 tickets at the zoo on the day from the ticket booth at the new main entrance as we were leaving after the morning session - they apparantly hold back tickets to some sessions for on the day people who just turn up but no guarantees..
there is also a panda in advanced booking 'window' around the left side of the entrance (youll know it when you see it) although when I asked yesterday about tickets to the 8:15 Sat & Sun they said nothing free but when I got home and checked on the web there was ?? so got another for today and recommend booking on line for members

Speaking to them yesterday avoid the 9:15 until 2 ish as they are packed with the full 500 at most sessions

also noticed the Jan bookings are now open online but the 8:15 no longer running - I booked the 9:15 2nd Jan if you want to catch up so I may post a meet thread
Deb
DebT
DebT

Postby fozzie on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:16 am

Deb - well done. I think I saw you briefing on Channel 7 News last night from the side on view. Celebrity in your own right :)

NB: woke up just after 8am this morning. Noticed that I had received a phone call from you last night, but was fast asleep. sorry. I have sent you an e-mail and left a message on your Mobile.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby DebT on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:50 pm

Today I managed to get eyes in amongst the black patches using the avaliable light (no flash allowed) - may get the focus right next time - still had problems with the glare causing blue haze probably could correct in PS but would prefer in camera
shot with 50 1.8 no PS or crop Xcpt reduced quality

DebT
DebT
DebT

Postby rflower on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Deb,
your last shot is great! I would be happy if that was my shot!
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Return to Adelaide and Perth