Latest Newby

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Latest Newby

Postby stephen on Tue May 24, 2005 11:14 pm

Hi all i have just joined D70 after a recommendation from a friend who said its a great site to learn all about Dslr cameras.I didnt even know what that stood for last week so i will try and do some reading and understand some of the jargon because i swear you are all talking another language :D .I live in Alexander Heights and have not yet bought my camera but looking at the moment as i am waiting for the insuranceto pay for my last one that was stolen.
It will be my first DSLr so any help is greatly appreciated.Any shops you can recommend for browsing would also be great Cheers Stephen
stephen

Postby Glen on Wed May 25, 2005 11:23 am

Welcome Stephen, hope you enjoy your time here
Glen

Postby Frankenstein on Wed May 25, 2005 11:54 am

Welcome Steve. I joined up only about a month ago, and have found the forum to be a great place to learn new stuff, discuss photo issues and submit my own photos for critique. As far as the jargon is concerned, there are heaps of magazine and web sites that offer advice, tutorials etc - just plunge in and very soon it will all make sense (except colour theory, printer profiling etc - that still gives me headaches when I try to understand it :( )
Frank
My photo gallery: http://www.frankalvaro.net
>>>> Nikon D300...Nikon 18-200 VR...Sigma 10-20...Tamron 90mm macro <<<<
"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. " Peter Griffin
Frankenstein

Postby gstark on Wed May 25, 2005 12:06 pm

Hi Stephen, and welcome.

The jargon is, well, jargon. :)

You might like to download the tutorials we have on our main page; they may be helpful in unravelling this whole new world.

What is your photographic background thus far? What do you like to take pictures of?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby robw25 on Wed May 25, 2005 1:42 pm

welcome steven
if your looking for help..... this is the place...we are all one big family... well thats the way i feel anyway..

cheers rob
robw25

Postby stephen on Thu May 26, 2005 11:33 pm

Thanks guys,
My photography back ground so far is pretty much non existent but i am hoping to learn a lot.I like photos of scenery mainly at the moment as i am probably unaware of a good shot that i am looking at with own eyes.i think lanscapes and the like would be a goos start for me.I also like to take shots of people who are unaware of the camera.I think there is nothing worse than when people pose and ham it up i guess for the camera,it is much better to catch a natural face or pose.
Hope that doesnt sound strange or anything ??.
Cheers Stephen
stephen

Return to Adelaide and Perth