Newbie greetings

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Newbie greetings

Postby Cool Cursor on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:09 pm

Greetings All
my first post, a little about me.
I'v had two SLR's since 1968. Firstwas a Pentax SP plus 5 lenses for 18years then Nikon FM2 (still) with 8 lenses so I know all about lens-lust.
Was toying with idea of setting up a home darkroom but decided to buy the D70s (two weeks ago) I'v coupled this with a 2yr. old IBM A31p 2653 thinkpad . Later i'll get some decent editing software (any sugestions) , the combination will be the equivalent of the chemical darkroom.
Would class myself as a fairly experienced E6/B&W amateur, interested in close-up. Am totaly new to digital at this level having only previously, briefly, used a 2mb point and click , the transition has been very interesting, am blown away by the instant results.
I'v recently bought an AF 200mm f4 IF-ED micro ($1600 pre-loved) after reluctantly relinquishing a manual 200mm equivalent.
Am slowly working my way through the 200page guidebook but am finding a need to regularly return to it to check functions.
The users forum looks very good and I note newbies are treated gently (thank-goodness)
ooroo for now
regards
Cool Cursor.
Cool Cursor

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:24 pm

Welcome Cool Cursor, hope you enjoy your time here
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby big pix on Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:35 pm

.....welcome...... a good start to digital would be Photoshop Elements 3.....or if you want Photoshop CS2 which is the much bigger brother......both of these programs process raw files........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby digitor on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:01 pm

Hi Cool Cursor,

And welcome! Sounds like we have similar photographic histories, I started with a screw-mount SLR in the mid 70s, and then a couple of Nikons - and still have my FM2.

CS2 would be the editor of choice - and Nikon Capture if you want to try some different curves in your new camera. Curve Surgery (or RawMagick Lite) will allow you to substitute curves in an existing RAW file - although I'm not sure if these work with D70s files yet - if not it won't be long.

Hope to see you at one of the local "events" soon!

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Re: Newbie greetings

Postby DanielA on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:28 pm

Cool Cursor wrote:my first post, a little about me.

Welcome!

You might be new to digital, but I wouldn't call you a newbie. :shock:

If you're in Nailsworth, then we live very close to each other. I'm just one suburb over. :D

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Marvin on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi Cool Cursor!
Great to see you on the forum. Hopefully we'll see you at one of our meets.
Marvin
Marvin

Postby owen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:42 pm

A big welcome from me too. A very friendly crowd over here, I'm sure you'll be right at home.
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby Big V on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:07 pm

welcome to the group, another sugestion regarding software is to try Picasa2 a free download from google and it will read your nef files...easy to use and free...
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:18 pm

Cool Cursor - welcome to the forum :)

Please keep a watch on the 'Adelaide' and 'Calendar' sections for information on upcoming meets.

On Sunday 30th October we are going to 'Gluepot Reserve' near Waikerie so it is closer to some of our country members ie. Marvin and hame. I can guarantee you some laughs, as well as sharing experiences with Nikon and Canon digital equipment.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby nat on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:30 pm

Welcome Cool Cursor. I'm also pretty new to this forum, but have been made to feel very welcome. 8)
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
nat

Thanks for the welcome

Postby Cool Cursor on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:09 pm

thanks for the welcome and software/editor tips.
I'll keep an eye out for Adelaide meets. By October mayb i'll be up to speed on the basics. Gluepot is a great place.
I'm having fun learning and anticipate having a long relationship with this developing technology.
My kids (adults) were wrapped "hey old man you'v finally gotten with the programme"!. Cheeky.
Cool Cursor was my pseudonym from the mid 80's when i played a mean round of tetris.
ooroo
CC
Cool Cursor

Return to Adelaide and Perth