Please help with my photography :)

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Please help with my photography :)

Postby W00DY on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:17 pm

Ok went to a fair today and took this shot (not the best one but good for this example):

Now it seems to me like the entire image is in focus (except for the railing in the left corner) & (especially the grass next to the slide and the slide itself) but my wife and son are not in focus.

Now they were going pretty quick but I had a shutter speed of 1/3200 sec (I thought that speed would freeze a formula 1 car!!!). See the full EXIF info below.

Can anyone please explain why the main subject here was out of focus. It can't have been camera shake or the background would not be in such sharp focus. If I remember correctly I turned off the automatic focus on this photo and focused manually before hand and then snapped the shot when they came into the frame.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

Focal Length - 70mm
Exposure Mode - Aperture Priority
Metering Mode - Center Weighted
1/3200 sec - F/5.6
Exposure Comp - 0 EV
Sensitivity - 200 ISO
White Balance - Direct Sunlight

Cheers,

W00DY PS: Is there any way to get the EXIF data out of the image so I can copy and paste for future images?
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby phillipb on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:30 pm

Hi Woody
I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but to me it seems that the focus point is somewhere behind your wife and son and the D.O.F. is a bit shallow.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

guessing

Postby christiand on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:35 pm

Did you say that you were manually focussing ?
If that is the case, did you trigger the shutter when the object was exactly at the same point that you had manually focussed on ?
See, I noticed that just behind the wife and child there is a well focussed spot on the slippery dip.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby MCWB on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:39 pm

The black smudge on the slide to your wife's right doesn't look in focus to me, so it looks like you've focussed too far back.
MCWB

Postby W00DY on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:40 pm

the D.O.F. is a bit shallow.

Is this due to F/5.6???

Am I correc tin thinking that a greater F Stop (or is that a smaller F stop?) so like F/8 would work better?

Did you say that you were manually focussing ?

I did say that :)

I thought they would be going to fast for the auto focus to work so I focused on the slide (I guess there's my problem) and then triggered the shutter when they got to that point.

So am I right in thinking that if I was going to use that technique (pre focus) then I should be using a different F-Stop?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:42 pm

MCWB wrote:The black smudge on the slide to your wife's right doesn't look in focus to me, so it looks like you've focussed too far back.

That seems to be the general reply... How would you suggest I take this shot?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:42 pm

It appears to me in your posted image the focus point was set a little too far back. When you were manual focusing, you would have pointed it at the yellow slide. When the people came down the slide, their distnace in relation to the camera is shorter than the empty slide. Shooting f/5.6 is a fairly wide aperture, so it's rendered them slightly soft.

If I were taking that shot, I would have focussed on the part of the slide next to your wife's right knee in that picture. If in doubt, I always focus closer rather than further away. As there's more depth of field behind than infront of the point of focus.

My tip: use a smaller aperture say f/11 or so, judging by the amount of available light you had there this is feasible. Yes you're right at 1/3200th shutter you can stop action of virtually anything. 1/500 is enough to stop people in motion.
If manual focusing, make sure you have the diopter on the viewfinder correctly set for your vision. Keep in mind the range is between -1.5 to +3.0 or something, so the slider in the middle is not true zero.
Onyx

Postby Killakoala on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:43 pm

remember correctly I turned off the automatic focus on this photo and focused manually before hand and then snapped the shot when they came into the frame

I think you might have answered your own question tight there.

I looks most likely that your subject just wasn't the focussing point.

As Philipb said...

You should have prefocussed on the part of the slide where your wife's right leg is, then it would have been fine.

That's my opinion.

edit: Onyx was faster on the submit button than me :)
Last edited by Killakoala on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby MCWB on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:45 pm

Whilst a larger DOF may have given you the desired result (more margin for error), if you had the correct focal point they'd be in focus regardless of whether you were shooting at f/2.8 or f/16. :) I'd have focussed on the hump in the slide to your wife's right, better too close than too far! As you correctly say, you don't need 1/3200 s for that kind of shot, even 1/500 s should be fine.

Edit: Holy crap, quick and the dead around here! :o
MCWB

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:48 pm

You know what they say about great minds, and the thinking thereof... :D
Onyx

Postby W00DY on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:49 pm

Onyx wrote:
If I were taking that shot, I would have focussed on the part of the slide next to your wife's right knee in that picture. If in doubt, I always focus closer rather than further away. As there's more depth of field behind than infront of the point of focus.

Thanks for this info. It makes sense now I am sitting in the lounge room at home :)

Onyx wrote:
My tip: use a smaller aperture say f/11 or so, judging by the amount of available light you had there this is feasible. Yes you're right at 1/3200th shutter you can stop action of virtually anything. 1/500 is enough to stop people in motion.

Cool. That clarifies my earlier post in regards to F-Stops.

Thanks for all the replies, I have gotten the tips and advise I needed.

I will let you know how I go next time we go on a slide. :lol:

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:50 pm

MCWB wrote:Whilst a larger DOF may have given you the desired result (more margin for error), if you had the correct focal point they'd be in focus regardless of whether you were shooting at f/2.8 or f/16. :) I'd have focussed on the hump in the slide to your wife's right, better too close than too far! As you correctly say, you don't need 1/3200 s for that kind of shot, even 1/500 s should be fine.

Edit: Holy crap, quick and the dead around here! :o

Yep, got it :)
Andrew
W00DY

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:33 am

Basically, what everyone else has said. The focus point seems to me to be behind your wife. fucussing slightly shorter, bumping the aperture to f8, shutter down to 1/1600 would have helped.

What about adding flash to the mix, to brighten the faces of your wife and child too?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 am

gstark wrote:Basically, what everyone else has said. The focus point seems to me to be behind your wife. fucussing slightly shorter, bumping the aperture to f8, shutter down to 1/1600 would have helped.

What about adding flash to the mix, to brighten the faces of your wife and child too?

That was my first thought as well...

This is a slightly different idea, just something I'd like to experiment with (not that I have a youngun to photograph yet) and that is using continuous focus mode using the central focal point and panning them as they come down the slide with a slower shutter speed.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:08 am

Brett,

bwhinnen wrote:This is a slightly different idea, just something I'd like to experiment with (not that I have a youngun to photograph yet) and that is using continuous focus mode using the central focal point and panning them as they come down the slide with a slower shutter speed.

Interesting idea.

Be sure to use the rear curtain setting for this, but you'll probably need to use a fairly open aperture as well if you're intending to take more than one image in a sequence. Otherwise, you might run into flash recharge issues, in that the flash may not be ready for the second image when you and the camera are.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:27 am

gstark wrote:Brett,

bwhinnen wrote:This is a slightly different idea, just something I'd like to experiment with (not that I have a youngun to photograph yet) and that is using continuous focus mode using the central focal point and panning them as they come down the slide with a slower shutter speed.

Interesting idea.

Be sure to use the rear curtain setting for this, but you'll probably need to use a fairly open aperture as well if you're intending to take more than one image in a sequence. Otherwise, you might run into flash recharge issues, in that the flash may not be ready for the second image when you and the camera are.

I was actually thinking of using as wide as I could with spot metering, perhaps even centre weighted, after all I'm interested in the subjects on the slide. The builtin speedlight just doesn't have the oomph for any sort of continuous firing, hmm did I hear an SB800 calling my name? Good call about the rear curtain, that certainly makes sense now it's been mentioned, why is it I never think of these things ?!?

Cheers
Brett ;)
bwhinnen

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques