Canberra Zoo 70-300G - one shot needs help

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Canberra Zoo 70-300G - one shot needs help

Postby ru32day on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:29 pm

Took some shots at Canberra Zoo today. I like how the DOF on this one shows the panda up between the leaves of the trees. I know it would have been improved with better composition, but it was a bit of an awkward shot and I thought I'd better show it "as is" (except for resizing) rather than cropping afterwards.

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10026&pos=0

This one, however, I'm quite disappointed with. It was supposed to be a touching moment (no pun intended) where my son tentatively makes contact with an emu. Unfortunately the focus is all wrong. I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding what I could have done to ensure both boy and emu were in focus.

http://www.pixspot.com/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10026&pos=1
ru32day

Postby Greg B on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:35 pm

ru, maybe you could try Single Area AF, and make sure you have the selected AF sensor on what is important.

Check Custom setting 3 - Autofocus area mode.

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ru32day on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:46 pm

Thanks, Greg B

I think this is my problem. I couldn't get both boy and emu under a sensor (although I was using dynamic area as nothing seemed to stay still for long all day) so I couldn't decide where to focus. As I recall I took a punt and focussed in the middle, but nothing at all seems to be in focus. It's definitely not camera shake as (unlike the panda shot) I was using a tripod for this one.

I do note on reading the manual that the Single Area is recommended for telephoto, so perhaps you are right that this would have helped.

Where each subject is under a different sensor, but they are relatively equal distance from the camera, should focussing half way between them work?
ru32day

Postby Greg B on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:58 pm

ru, I think the problem with the dynamic AF is that the camera might decide to focus on something different than what you want.

In the shot of your son and the emu, I would suggest using the middle sensor, and focus on your son. There is more DoF behind the point of focus than in front, and I think the emu is marginally further away. As you were using a tripod, you could probably use a relatively small aperture to increase DoF, providing the subjects co-operate of course (a biggish proviso I guess)

There is plenty of opportunity to crop to tidy up any compositional issues.

The other thing I would suggest is take shots with the focus on your son, and then the emu, and then anything else you like. Digital=no film cost, don't hold back, and you will find out what works best.

I am no expert, but I have rarely had much success with focussing half way between anything :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ru32day on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:27 pm

Thanks very much for all your help. This does sound like sensible advice about the focussing.

As you say, I was having trouble with lack of co-operation of the subjects. My son kept losing his nerve and running away, and at one point the emu walked straight towards the camera, meaning I had to keep trying to change zoom and focus while trying to pan in small increments to keep it in shot at the same time.

I'm telling myself that this is like driving a car and if I keep practising, I'll be able to do at least some of what's necessary instinctively. At the moment, I'm all fingers and thumbs and mumbling instructions to myself. My only consolation is watching significant other go through the same pains, even though they were a quite competent SLR photographer some years ago, having given up only when the film kept jamming in the camera and we couldn't afford to get it fixed. I guess at least we don't have to worry about that problem any more.
ru32day

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:40 pm

I think the camera grabbed the backgound as a focal point. Follow Greg's advice...single focus centre spot and you should have more hits.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby gstark on Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:42 am

ru32day wrote:I couldn't get both boy and emu under a sensor (although I was using dynamic area as nothing seemed to stay still for long all day) so I couldn't decide where to focus. As I recall I took a punt and focussed in the middle, but nothing at all seems to be in focus.

Look at the fence behind them both; it's in perfect focus. Exactly what you told the camera to do. To bad it's not what you wanted. :)

Seriously, single area AF, RH sensor, focus on your son, and shoot. maybe a tad more zoom pull a little less background.

And for a creative crop, crop to just the "Tassie Devil" sign and the image of your son. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bwhinnen on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:43 am

That is a good photo of the panda, they are very difficult to get good pics of. It does help if you are there when they are fed ;) A longer lens or crop will make that photo a nice one indeed.

Everyone else has already commented on the other pic :) One thing I've found helpful, (mind you I am 9/10 on continuous focus mode due to shooting moving objects so much) is that the AF Lock button comes in very handy once you've aquired the focus. I have the AE/AF Lock button to only lock focus. I've found it also helps to re-frame the shot if required without having the button half pressed when on single focus mode.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques