First go at lightning.

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First go at lightning.

Postby xerubus on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:01 pm

Okay... here's my first go at capturing lightning. Been reading a few books since and will try to get better shots next time. Would really appreciate some input as to techniques which you find work when capturing lightning.

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/L ... g_overhead
http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/L ... ane_summer
http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/L ... _touchdown

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby phillipb on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:15 pm

Hi Xerebus, your technique works, nice shots, the trick now is to try and get the lightning with interesting foregrounds. Easier said then done. That's why I admire some of the really good lightning shots you see around. They must be very dedicated or extremely lucky, I suspect it's the former.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby xerubus on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:16 pm

thanks for the comments.

unfortunately i was standing under my patio and there was absolutely nothing interesting at ground level. Thinking about heading to the water when the next evening storm comes through.
xerubus

Postby phillipb on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:19 pm

You're on the right track, that's what I mean by dedication, you wouldn't see me going out in one of those storms :)

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby BBJ on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:35 pm

Hey xerubus top shots, i was waiting the other day when we had storms here in SA, but got a lot of thunder and rain but didn't see much lightning so yes good catch.
Cheers
John
BBJ
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Nicole on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:36 pm

I haven't tried photographing lighting myself yet. I think your first shots are pretty impressive.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby xerubus on Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:42 pm

thanks bbj... we had a storm come through today, but unfortunately couldn't get any lightning...

thanks nicole... it's actually quite exciting trying to capture.. definitely worth a try...
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:00 pm

They are great xerebus. Even better considering they are your first go at it, that is excellent.

I haven't been game to try yet - in Melbourne we don't often get lightning without rain which complicates matters a bit, or maybe I am just making pathetic excuses :lol:

Anyway, well done.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Raydar on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:14 pm

Going great mate :wink:

One good place is the beach with the storm out to sea.
An open paddock is another with some type of structure or trees to give a sense of scale.

Great job

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby xerubus on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:26 pm

thanks greg b... sounds like an excuse to me :D

thanks raydar... now time to think about where to drive when the storms are coming...
xerubus

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:40 pm

Well done Xerubus. But please allow me to make an observation.

The photos seem a bit grainy in the part of the frame you have light pollution from streetlights (the orange glow).

I assume you used a high ISO. (Forgive me if i am wrong and it's a result of JPEG artefacts). As lightning is extremely bright, you should use as low an ISO as possible to give you two benefits, longer shutter speeds and less intense light pollution from ground source lights, also the lightning bolt will not 'burn' itself on your image as it has in your first two images. The last one is almost perfect.

But a suberb effort, I am very impressed. I love lightning shots and it takes a brave soul to shoot them. I take my hat off to you.

Well done :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby xerubus on Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:00 am

hi killakoala... and thanks for the input...

i used iso 200... haven't ever bothered changing iso. the grain is definitely just jpg artefacts... and the fact that my life change to shoot in only raw was a couple of days after the lightning shots..

i just need more practice... and it's a good time of the year to be doing it..
xerubus

Postby Vicareyus on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:01 pm

Nice shots xerubus. You've inspired me to give it a go next storm...
Vic
Vicareyus

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Very nice Xerebus, would imagine it took some work to get those.
Glen

Postby xerubus on Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:50 pm

thanks vic.. it's nice to get inspiration..

thankyou glen... it wasn't too hard, just took time. i simply setup my tripod... set my lens to infinity... and left the shutter open until i caught what i want.

I was given a good tip last night from a photographer which someone else may find useful here. If you are leaving the shutter open for quite a while, hold some black card etc up to the lens while the shutter is open. pull the card away when you can see the lightning coming and then return the card after the lightning. This stops the constant stream of light from street lights etc coming in, and enables you to leave the shutter open longer to get multiple shots of lightning in the same frame. I'm yet to try this technique, but it sounds interesting.
xerubus

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:42 pm

Xerebus, interesting tip, makes sense, now all I need is some lightning and my camera back from Maxwells
Glen

Postby phillipb on Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:03 pm

I don't know how much difference it makes, but they say you should also put the eyepiece blind on to stop any light coming in from there.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Manta on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:45 pm

phillipb wrote:I don't know how much difference it makes, but they say you should also put the eyepiece blind on to stop any light coming in from there.

Nice shots Xerubus, from a fellow Brisbanite who loves a good electrical show. I've only recently joined the swelling ranks of D70 owners and have played around with some moon and star-trail shots but my techniques are very much at the 'prototype' stage :) .

Further to phillipb's comments, I always have my eyepiece blind clipped onto my strap (along with my remote control in its case) so have already developed the habit of popping it on for long exposures. The card over the lens makes a lot of sense and I will be trying that next time, along with setting the Long Exposure NR to 'on' which I haven't done yet.

Having just become a RAW fan, I expect to see some improvement in my shots when I take on board the tips given in this thread.

Keep up the good work and I expect this summer is going to give us both plenty of opportunity to experiment!

Cheers,
Simon.
Last edited by Manta on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby xerubus on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:48 pm

thankyou for the kind words simon.

Just one thing, and I'd like to hear your experience.. I find NR actually messes around with the shot too much and yields poor results.
xerubus

Postby Manta on Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:34 am

xerubus wrote: I find NR actually messes around with the shot too much and yields poor results.

Okay... hadn't heard that. I guess I'll treat it like everything else and just 'suck it and see'.
I'll keep you posted.
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques