Gaenor.. critique please.

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Gaenor.. critique please.

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:24 pm

Hi all... still trying to get this people photography thing right. Have taken on advice from some of you in the past, so here's my next try.

I was trying to get that magazine stereotypical shot.. blown out highlights, b&w, film grain etc... would love to hear how i can improve the shot.

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/People/gaenor_bw
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:30 pm

Nice shot but for one thing - the reflections in the sunnies are distracting IMO - these can be taken out with a linear blend in PS after selecting the glass area - but nice shot and nice looking lady

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Onyx on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:47 pm

Have you discovered Virtual Photographer?

http://www.optikvervelabs.com/default.asp

It's the best thing since black bodied cameras (300D excluded).
Onyx

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:54 pm

Thankyou for the comments...

sirhc55... i'll have a go at getting rid of the reflections... yeh.. that's my wife... for me the shot says 'get away from me'... but that's because i know her :)

onyx... no... haven't... but shall look.... ta
xerubus

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:55 pm

Very nice image. It could be strengthened by removing the reflections in the glasses....they are a tad distracting and draw the eye.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby mudder on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:26 pm

G'day,
Really liked the style and mood of the shot. The feeling of what you're after worked for me, looks like a fashion magazine shot to me... As mentioned the reflections in the sunnies are distracting to me too, but that may have been just what you were after???

Cheers,
Mudder
mudder

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:37 pm

thanks matt and mudder....

i wasn't after the reflection at all.... after all the things i thought about i forgot about reflection :(
xerubus

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:57 pm

here is another version of the shot... i actually wasn't too happy with the black and white conversion of the first... and after sitting back decided it needed a crop.

would love to hear whether people like the first shot or the second...

http://www.nikonaustralia.com/gallery/P ... aenor_bw_2
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:07 pm

I agree about the reflections, which I notice you have left in for v2.

But I do like #2 more than #1. #1 is good, and the high key thing is effective, but I just reckon #2 is better.

Gaenor has a bit of a Posh Beckham thing going on, excellent subject.

Nice work xerubus.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Killakoala on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:15 pm

Yeah, sensational pic. Well done and no doubt exactly what you were after, that professional magazine style. Love it.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby mudder on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:15 pm

G'day,
I like the darker image of #2 a lot more, seems to "push" the effect more... Also, while the reflections are still there, they don't seem to be as distracting to me anymore and seem to suit the mood... Or is it just me???

Cheers,
Mudder
mudder

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:17 pm

thanks guys... i appreciate your comments...

posh beckham hey... hmmm... better get my kids dna testing to make sure they are mine then :)

not sure if i'll bother with the reflection.... it doesn't seem to bother me in #2 as mudder has said... plus i'd have no idea how to get rid of it...

cheers and take care.
xerubus

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:18 pm

Bugger the reflections - I'd prefer to see the sunnies removed altogether; let's see her eyes, and through them, her personality.

I'd reckon about 2/3 - one stop less exposure. That should kill the burnout on her chest, and hopefully the burnout on her cheek, while still keepng the high key effect in the background.

If you need more light on the closer side, either fill flash or a reflector would do the trick to balance the contrast range.

While you have good rich blacks in the second image, I think you've lost a little detail (contrast range) in her hair.

For me, with B&W, the goal is to get as wide a range of greys as possible, from a full rich black to a pure white. But one of the tricks is that blown highlights (or reflections) should not be counted as your pure white. Look for a genuine white in your image - teeth or eyes perhaps - and use that for setting your curves/contrast range.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:18 pm

To kill reflections get the model to look towards something that is very dark. Though I agree that in some images the reflections can be very interesting.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bago100 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:19 pm

Xerubus

The second shot has more contrast definition and mystery that the first in my opinion.

Both photographs are great. Looking at them, one cannot help but wonder what is going through Gaenor's mind.

Well done

Graham
bago100

Postby xerubus on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:47 pm

thanks graham...

i can tell you exactly what was going through her mind :)

we were on a tram, me... the kids... my parents... my grandparents... i think she'd had enough for one day :)
xerubus

Postby Greg B on Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:59 pm

In that case, you are a brave man for taking the shot, and it is easy to understand why the sunnies stayed on :)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:13 pm

I agree both shots are great but I will go against the main stream and say that I actually prefer shot one.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques