Urban Lanscape

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Urban Lanscape

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:29 am

Hi

my first picture post so be kind :)

I was fiddling around with urban landscapes after seeing so many beautiful silky waterfalls unfortunatly downtown Melbourne lacks them so ...

Paul
nodabs

Postby Geoff on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:36 am

VERY nice Paul - just wondering how much post processing you did here. Have you applied a PS filter of some sort to get that deep blue into it? Tell us more! :). Congrats on your first image post too and welcome aboard!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:26 am

The blue hue existed straight from the camera i did a small color blance and made it slightly softer but you can only really tell the difference flicking betwwen in them PS. the only other ajustments i made was cropping abit of stray grass and some curves to lighten the image slightly.

The shot was 20 sec at F11 with the kit lens at 34mm, and taken in the evening i believe the blue orgionated just from the environment, but i liked it and ran with it, thanks for the comments :D
nodabs

Postby Geoff on Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:32 am

You are welcome..nice shot..keep up the good work and keep posting!
Geoff

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:24 am

Nice shot nodabs. The blue is strange, although it works well.

Welcome to another melbourne member. How about sticking Melbourne in your profile?

:)
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:35 am

Thanks Greg sometimes you have to just play around with these things to see what works.

Profile updated ;)
nodabs

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:59 am

That’s an awesome shot mate, Love it :shock:

Just go’s to show you can make an image from just about anything.

I’ve said it before, slow shutter speeds & water will do it for me every time :roll:

Great job!!!!!! :wink:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:04 am

Thanks i really appreciate the feedback makes you want to get out and take more shots
nodabs

Postby W00DY on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:08 am

Great effect, I really like the blue tone.

One thing I woul suggest is getting in there and doing a little gardening. If you can weed the gutter and remove the weeds from the edge of the drain.

Still a great shot and others might prefer the weed there?

Look forward to seeing more of your images. This one has inspired me to get out and look at a city differently.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:13 am

The weed does bug me when i look at the photo i didn't see it when i was shooting because of the dark but i will be more careful next time :)
nodabs

Postby Raydar on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:40 am

nodabs wrote:The weed does bug me when i look at the photo i didn't see it when i was shooting because of the dark but i will be more careful next time :)

Just get out Photoshop’s Roundup brush & have a play :roll:

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:59 am

Paul,

Lovely shot, and the blue hue really helps it along, IMHO.

For some reason, I want to crop it, etiher something from the left to get rid of the weed, or perhaps the bottom to remove some of the foreground, but none of my rough attempts seems to give me what I want from this. Strange .....
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:02 am

I promise I am not just being perverse, but I like the weed.

One little plant's struggle against the intrusion of concrete and steel (or whatever, you know what I mean)

Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:03 am

Love the blue - my favourite colour. I did a shot similar to this away back with a flower but intentionally set the WB to flash - is this what could have been to get the blue? BTW great shot

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby W00DY on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:06 am

Greg B wrote:One little plant's struggle against the intrusion of concrete and steel (or whatever, you know what I mean)

If it was a plant, maybe.... BUT A WEED!!!!!! :D

(hmmm, on second thoughts I can't see it clearly so maybe it is a plant?)

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:27 am

W00DY wrote:
Greg B wrote:One little plant's struggle against the intrusion of concrete and steel (or whatever, you know what I mean)

If it was a plant, maybe.... BUT A WEED!!!!!! :D

(hmmm, on second thoughts I can't see it clearly so maybe it is a plant?)

W00DY

C'mon Woody, weeds are plants too. :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby stubbsy on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:40 am

Um I hate to be a party pooper, but I can't see the image (just the red x where it should be). I looked at the html & the URL was http://addicted.caffeen.org/albums/albu ... .sized.jpg so I tried that and get HTTP 404 not found.

EDIT:

Home from work and just checked and can see the image now. Maybe work doesn't allow me to look at nice pictures (which it is).

Think I'll go take a pic of water running into the kitchen sink for my urban landscape

Stubbsy
Last edited by stubbsy on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbsy

Postby Vicareyus on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:50 am

Nice shot - thanks. Like the slow shutter speed and water shots. This one adds something new in terms of the blue colour which I like. I would keep pretty much as is.
Vic
Vicareyus

Postby nodabs on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:57 pm

thanks very much :) i believe my server is having fits at the moment hopefully it will be a little more reliable in the future
nodabs

Postby mudder on Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:55 pm

G'day,
Really like that one... Something different with the blue hue... Really grabbed my attention... I must admit, water shots do it for me...

Cheers,
Mudder
Aka Andrew
mudder

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques