Manta's first pics

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Manta's first pics

Postby Manta on Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:57 pm

I'd really appreciate any comments on these - good bad or indifferent.

http://www.pixspot.com/index.php?cat=10031

Thx.
Simon.
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby stubbsy on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:02 pm

Manta

Christmas eve and three people have uploaded their first pics. Wonder if that's a record.

Your shot of Lake Gunn blows me away. Awesome composition. Isn't NZ just the most beautiful place to photograph.

Cheers

Stubbsy
stubbsy

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:03 pm

Okey dokey..

The Moon

Not the best I have seen, but about a gazillion times better than my efforts so far. It is slightly fuzzy. Have you seen Killa's with his 500mm mirror lens? I hope to get one as good as yours eventually!

The Punt

Nice shot, interesting, slightly dull, the bit of red on the punter is great in the overall context.

Lake Gunn

Wow, postcard material, nice work.

Mrs Manta

Nothing wrong with the shot or the subjects at all, but the minute you stick the wife in the foreground, you are taking a holiday snap.

These are great shots Manta, nice work
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Manta on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:16 pm

Thanks guys. All points taken on board.

I unsharp-masked the moon shot and played with the levels in PS but the result looked too manufactured. I was more interested in what people thought of the original image anyway as I believe this is where the learning really takes place. Hope Santa brings me something ...ooh... about 500mm long for Christmas?!

I keep telling the wife I don't want her spoiling my shots but she insists on coming with me when I go on holidays. I'll just have to distract her with a clothes shop or just clone her out afterwards!!

What's that? Dinner's ready? Coming dear!!
Manta

Postby Greg B on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:21 pm

Manta wrote:I keep telling the wife I don't want her spoiling my shots but she insists on coming with me when I go on holidays.

Don't get me wrong Manta, you have to take those shots, and lots of them, and watch out if the important part of the photo doesn't look better than all that extraneous background scenery :) :)

Plus the GLW can be very handy for carrying/holding the camera bag.....
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Geoff on Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:27 pm

Manta wrote:What's that? Dinner's ready? Coming dear!!

Great shots Manta! Your quote above...'priceless' :)

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:44 pm

Manta
You have a good eye for composition. Keep exercising it!
The moon...I suspect your shutter speed was too slow...I'm guessing it was near or below 1/60 sec. Next time try a bigger F/stop...say f/5.6 and a faster shuuter speed. Although it may not look obvious that moon is moving fairly rapidly. Normall the moon will expose well at 1/250th and F/8 using ISO 200. Maybe bracket a couple of shots around this exposure.
Thanks for posting.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Manta on Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:59 pm

Top advice all round folks. Very much appreciated :D (especially the bit about turning the wife into a sherpa - should've thought of that...)

Matt - I've tried some moon shots since with settings around what you have suggested and they turned out much better. I haven't done more with them as it was only about 3/4 full so I'll wait a few days and pray for a cloudless night. I was just experimenting with the settings and was propped up against a post in my front yard - when the full moon next appears the tripod will definitely be coming out.

"No darling... I'm not on the forum again.... of course I'm coming to bed now!"
Manta

Postby dciscool on Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:08 pm

I really loved your pictures of new zealand,
esp Lake Gunn
I found it a bit too symetrical - just has an uncomfortable feel to it

Tell us more about the trip!
dciscool

Postby Manta on Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:36 pm

Anyone who's been to New Zealand knows what a paradise it is for photographers. Every bend in the road reveals another majestic vista that literally grabs your camera out of the gear bag. The downside is that not all roads lend themselves to pulling up on the verge to snap piccies. In a 6.5m motorhome, you quickly become very aware of the fact that grass usually means moisture which usually means mud which usually means you're going to sink to your axles if you get off the bitumen! Drivers beware!

We did 4500km in 16 days, 4 days on the North Island and 12 on the South. Much preferred the South for scenery and things to do but would love to go back and spend more time in the upper isle - particularly north of Auckland.

I spent the whole trip shooting with my trusty Kodak LS443. We did a jetboat ride at the Agrodome in Rotorua and the staff there shot a series of photos during our ride. The photos were brilliant - they were shot with a Canon 10D. From that moment I was hooked on the idea of upgrading to a DSLR.

The rest of the trip consisted of me dropping lots of hints about how good my photos would be with a swanky bit of new kit. I did as much research as I could and decided the D70 was the way to go. Its major competitor just felt wrong in my hand and the features didn't match what I wanted in a new camera. The Nikon just had it all and most experts I spoke to agreed.

IF only the photographer at the Agrodome had been using a Nikon....
Manta

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques