Another shot with the 70-300G zoomed and cropped

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Another shot with the 70-300G zoomed and cropped

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:26 am

All comments (good and bad) welcomed. Changed levels in PS and cropped/zoomed in a bit too. The physical distance from where I was shooting (in a straight line) would probably be approx 2km's. Cheers.

Geoff

Postby Kristine on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:15 am

Hi Geoff

Great shot - I did not realise that the 70-300G was able to shoot from such a distance.

Cheers
Kristine
Kristine

Postby nodabs on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:16 am

nice :) that looks good from along way away. How much of a crop is it also did you stop down to squeeze abit sharper image out of the lense?

any info would be appreciated :)
nodabs

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:16 am

Kristine wrote:Hi Geoff

Great shot - I did not realise that the 70-300G was able to shoot from such a distance.

Cheers
Kristine

I did cheat a bit in post processing and zoomed in and cropped in Photoshop :) Sssssh! I won't tell anyone if you don't! :wink:
Geoff

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:20 am

nodabs wrote:nice :) that looks good from along way away. How much of a crop is it also did you stop down to squeeze abit sharper image out of the lense?

Thanx nodabs...I THINK (from memory) it is zoomed in 100% in PS, I haven't cropped THAT much from it, just a few houses/bush in the foreground and a very ugly antenna thingy. I think I shot it at about F16 with a shutter speed of 1/200sec. Hope this helps,

Geoff.
Last edited by Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff

Postby nodabs on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:23 am

Geoff wrote:
nodabs wrote:nice :) that looks good from along way away. How much of a crop is it also did you stop down to squeeze abit sharper image out of the lense?

Thanx nodabs...I THINK (from memory) it is zoomed in 100% in PS, I haven't cropped THAT much from it, just a few houses/bush in the foreground. I think I shot it at about F16 with a shutter speed of 1/200sec. Hope this helps,

Geoff.

lol that came out wrong that shot of a building from along way away, looks good :) that looks very nice indeed for a 100% crop nice job
nodabs

Postby MattC on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:28 am

Nice shot Geoff, even Nikons cheapest lenses are pretty decent if used correctly. I assume that you used a tripod.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:36 am

mattco6974 wrote:Nice shot Geoff, even Nikons cheapest lenses are pretty decent if used correctly. I assume that you used a tripod.

Cheers

Matt

Nope - this was handheld!!!
Geoff

Postby MattC on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:41 am

Now that is impressive!!!
MattC

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:45 am

mattco6974 wrote:

Now that is impressive!!!

Thanx Matt - i sharpened it once in PS too.
Geoff

Postby MattC on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:53 am

Looks like you have your hh technique down. Normally I would expect to see camera shake at such a distance which no amount of sharpening will fix.

Your Sydney to Hobart shots posted elsewhere are HH also?

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:00 am

Yep..I was annoyed at myself as I left the tripod in the car (and I'd just climbed seven flights of stairs) so I wasn't too keen to go back down to get it..hahaha.
Geoff

Postby MattC on Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:28 am

I cannot argue with that - what a stupid expression!! I would not want to be climbing up and down stairs.

I would not mind seeing your HH technique, but seeing as you are 2000km away that is not particularly realistic. Mine is pretty good, but 2km gives me shakey images. It might just be that I rarely use a long lens. The last time I threw the 70-300 on was about two months ago. I regularly shoot 50mm at 1/15s with no shakes. Different shooting styles.

Cheers

Matt
MattC

Postby endymion on Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:13 am

Geoff,

You've done well to take some a long telephoto shot handheld. Congrats! I think cropping out the partial building on the right and the terra cotta roofs in the foreground would strengthen the image by removing distractions to the building.

Its a very interesting building, by the way. What and where is it?

Cheers,

Bruce
endymion

Postby Bruno on Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:02 am

nice geoff! :wink:
i don't think i have ever seen a photo of that building like that before.
And the ED doesnt seem to bad either,might have to reconsider it.

cheers
Bruno

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:14 am

endymion wrote:Geoff,

You've done well to take some a long telephoto shot handheld. Congrats! I think cropping out the partial building on the right and the terra cotta roofs in the foreground would strengthen the image by removing distractions to the building.

Its a very interesting building, by the way. What and where is it?

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Endymion,
The building is called St.Patricks college, it was a seminary and opened in 1889. As the number of seminarians declined they decided to lease it to the International College of Tourism for a period of 30 years, I think ten of them have passed already, maybe more. It is located in Manly (Sydney). The grounds and inside are just as beautiful as the outside, I was lucky enough to attend a wedding there last year, it was great! Thanks for your interest! :)
Geoff

Postby kipper on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:52 am

Remember what the likes of Peter iNova say. For crisp images for handheld use atleast 1/focal length. So if you're at 300mm use atleast 1/300mm. In this case Geoff must of held off the coffee for a week :)
kipper

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:20 pm

Hehehehe...my profession requires me to have a steady hand at times :)
Geoff

Postby ru32day on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:07 pm

Great shot. I particularly like the way you managed to get so much of the shot in focus. This DOF (I think) is not so easy with the lens at that length and, as others have commented, even harder handheld! Was it easier because you were a fair way away from the subject, or did you make some special decisions in your settings to preserve the DOF through the image?
ru32day

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques