Some wedding shots

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Some wedding shots

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:22 pm

As some of you know I shot a wedding (yes, I was the 'pro' photographer), it was very stressful but quite rewarding and something I'd like to do more of in the future. Here are a few shots I liked which I thought demonstrated the 50mm 1.4 quite nicely. Hope you enjoy,

Geoff.

Geoff

Postby Marvin on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:02 pm

Hi Geoff,
Good job on the pictures. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure it was a very stressful but rewarding situation for you. I much prefer the first picture. The second one (on my dad's uncalibrated monitor) looks very yellow and makes the bride and groom look sallow in my opinion. I would love to see more.
Have the couple seen the results yet?
Marvin
Marvin

Postby Geoff on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:06 pm

Marvin wrote:Hi Geoff,
Good job on the pictures. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure it was a very stressful but rewarding situation for you. I much prefer the first picture. The second one (on my dad's uncalibrated monitor) looks very yellow and makes the bride and groom look sallow in my opinion. I would love to see more.
Have the couple seen the results yet?
Marvin

Thanx Marvin - yeah the 2nd one was a bit of a gamble and I'm still deciding on it. The happy couple haven't seen the pics yet as I'm still in the 'post processing' process but I'm nearly there. Cheers,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Greg B on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:08 pm

I agree with Marvin Geoff. It is a great shot, and I think it could look good in sepia tones. The second version is a bit too yellowish, would be worth giving it a true sepia tone to see how it looks I reckon.

Glad you survived the experience, going by this shot, the happy couple should be pleased.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Excellent..

Postby beetleboy on Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:27 pm

I love it Geoff. The clarity is amazing and I like the composition with the book in the foreground and the soft background.

I can see a slight blue cast in places which looks like light creeping in from outside but I don't feel it detracts from the image. You've handled the situation like a pro!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby christiand on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:07 pm

Hi Geoff,

I love the first photo, great shot.
I manipulated the yellowish photo in Photoshop, however I
didn't want to post it.
The manipulation is:

adjustments
colour balance

blue +58
red +20

regards
CD
christiand

Postby Killakoala on Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:32 pm

Sensational, if the rest are that good then i am sure the newlyweds will be very happy indeed with your work.

Well done,
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby tsanglabs on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:02 pm

Glad you survived

I was a driver at a friends wedding recently and was also taking my own shots at the same time as the photographer. I could barely keep up, it very different to the shots I usually do, which hardly ever have people in them (landscape/cityscape/nature). I would not mind actually having the opportunity myself to be the pro-photographer at a wedding.
tsanglabs

Postby Vicareyus on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:11 pm

Nice shot Geoff. One thing I always like in a portrait is being able to see the pupils really clearly (not that I can always attain that!) and you've nailed it in this shot. Would love to see more. Must have been stressful though?
Vic
Vicareyus

Postby johndec on Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:30 pm

If that's what a 50mm 1.4 can do I want one!!

Fantastic colour shot, I'd flick the sepia though because all it's doing is robbing you of the detail and highlights that was captured so well in the original shot.

P.S. I'd love to see the exif details. Was it ISO200? Shutter speed, apeture etc.
johndec

Postby Geoff on Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:17 pm

johndec wrote:If that's what a 50mm 1.4 can do I want one!!

Fantastic colour shot, I'd flick the sepia though because all it's doing is robbing you of the detail and highlights that was captured so well in the original shot.

P.S. I'd love to see the exif details. Was it ISO200? Shutter speed, apeture etc.

Thanx Johndec - the ISO was 200, Appeture priority mode, 50mm 1.4 lens (appeture of photo F2) . Shutter speed 1/40sec. Hope this helps,

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby Glen on Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:25 am

Looks great Geoff. :D Not a fan of the yellow, but B&W or sepia could work. Glad it went well for you, your clients look happy
Glen

Postby Raydar on Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:35 am

Great stuff Geoffro :shock:

Have you had that image printed as yet, I bet it would look awesome to the Bride & groom!!!!! 8)

Cheers
Ray :P
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Postby Geoff on Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:13 am

Thanx Raydar - I had it printed a few days ago, I am testing a few of my shots with different printers, from local labs to more professional 'labs'. The happy couple haven't seen it yet, no. Cheers and a happy new year to you mate!

Geoff.
Geoff

Postby atencati on Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:57 am

Heres is a little sepia trick I learned.

Photoshop:

Images>Adjustments>Hue & Saturation ( or ctrl+U)

Hue set to 25, saturation set to 25, and click the "colorize" box

gives a nice red/brown sepia without losing light

Heres your image :

Andy
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby Geoff on Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:59 am

Very nicely done Andy - thanx for that! :)
Geoff

Postby Onyx on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Nice images Geoff - was it daunting, you being the photog with all the pressures of not stuffing up? ;)

You'll have to experiment with the virtual photographer plug-in, it offers many sepia or single colourtone possibilities.
Onyx

Postby Onyx on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Having looked at your private gallery Geoff, you should definitely release some more photos for public consumption. They are absolutely stunning!! I should be learning off you - what settings did you use, any special secret techniques, what tips can you offer us, etc?

I'm not exactly sure of the groom's intentions having a completely shaved bald head but retaining thick eyebrows... but I have to find something to criticise don't I?! ;)
Onyx

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques