Muogamarra Nature Reserve

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Muogamarra Nature Reserve

Postby Mal on Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:18 pm

Muogamurra is Open again this year. Can't find the exact dates but it seems to be from this weekend for 4 weeks.
The National Parks and Wildlife say that after the fire that we had two years ago this year the plants are looking awesome.

It was a while ago that some Sydney folks were suggesting a National Parks trip. Not sure if any members would be interested in this one. Muogamurra is only open to the public for a couple of weeks every year. Being a local I have been a couple of times and it is well worth it.

Apart from the wild flowers there are some awesome views North to Gosford, west to the Blue Mountains and East to Brooklyn. There are also some great Aboriginal rock carvings.

It does require a bit of walking.

Anyhow here is the blurb from National Parks

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/par ... 456#InPark

This nature reserve is managed to preserve its wonderful diversity of plants and animals for scientific and educational purposes. Each spring, it puts on one of Sydney's most vibrant natural floral shows, including native orchids, bright pink eriostemons, purple boronias and towering Gymea lilies.

The reserve is open to the public just six weekends a year, on special open days around August and September, so that visitors can experience the magnificent wildflowers. You can join a volunteer Discovery guide, or go on a range of self-guided walks. For more details, check the 'NPWS guided tours' page around this time, or contact the Chase Alive Discovery Program.

Muogamarra Nature Reserve is on the Pacific Highway, 3km north of Cowan Station.
Mal
I've got a camera, it's black. I've got some lens, they are black as well.
Mal

Postby Mal on Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:58 pm

BUMP - with so many AW shots I thought I would give this one more try :)
Mal
Mal

Postby W00DY on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:04 pm

Hey Mal,

Yeah I suggested something like this a while ago...

I would be interested in taking a walk through this park, I am sure Rick would come along also...

Do you have any dates and times in mind?

Have you been to the park before so you can recomend any of the walks etc???

Cheers,
W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Mal on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:21 pm

Woody, the Park is open this this weekend for the next 6 weeks. I have done the one to the trig station, which is a fairly easy walk, takes you along the old convict road. The finishing point is has great views.

However this is the one that I think would be awesome

Double delight at Muogamarra
Experience the magical atmosphere of sunset from the height of Point Loop. Absorb the peaceful sounds of the bush and its inhabitants at dusk. Then to Tipper's Lookout for the full moon rising over the beautiful Hawkesbury River. Conclude your walk with nibbles and a cuppa or glass of wine (BYO). This is not a spotlight walk. Bring a camera, a small torch, warm clothes for sunset, sturdy walking shoes, hat, rain gear, sun and insect protection, water and a snack.
When: 20/08/2005 04:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
Level of difficulty: easy
Meeting point: Muogamarra Nature Reserve, Pacific Highway, three kilometres north of Cowan
Cost: $6
Booking requirements: Bookings essential
More information: (02) 9472 9300

Sunset up on the mountain!!!!
Nice.
As far as a date goes lets see who is interested over the next six weekends. For me I will wait to see which one is chosen and see if I can get out of whatever I have on that weekend!!!
Sundays are much better for me...
Mal
Mal

Postby Onyx on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 pm

Definitely my cup of tea. I wanna come!
Onyx

Postby W00DY on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 pm

That walk does sound good...

Do you have to do it as a guided tour or could we do the same thing as a self guided one. Thinking that it might be better to organise a self guided walk so we have more time to take photos (not sure if they would rush you from place to place?)

Sunday's are usually better for me as well but I can do Saturday's after this weekend also (wife's netball finishes).

I'll check with Rick and see if we can get some dates going and then see if there is any more interest from other members.

Cheers.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:35 pm

Onyx wrote:Definitely my cup of tea. I wanna come!

Happy to give a lift again Chi if needed. That is if you still live over my way?
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Mal on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:40 pm

I know that we can not do the walks with out a guide. however if we had a good group (at least over 5) then i am sure that we could do the walk at our own pace.
The guides are all volunteers and sit around waiting for people to turn up and when they have enough they head off. However if we were to do the moonlight walk then I think a phone call could get us all the infomation that we need.
Lets aim for a Sunday either 21st, 28th or the 4th. What are peoples choice?
Mal
Mal

Postby owen on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:47 pm

Hey guys. Sounds great, and sounds perfect to add into the locations at ausphotos.com (sorry for the plug, but this is the sort of info that it was designed for :) ) would any of you mind if this got added in? would anyone like to volunteer to put it in? ;)
http://www.ausphotos.com - My Gallery

http://www.doesgodexist.com - a very interesting site.
owen

Postby leek on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:57 pm

I'd certainly be interested...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby sheepie on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:04 pm

hrmmm - depending on timing, I'd definately be interested. August is a really busy month though - so please keep us all up to date with thoughts and we'll see what happens :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Jenno on Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:45 pm

I'm certainly interested...

A date closer to spring might ensure more natives are in flower

Ray
Jenno

Postby W00DY on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:23 am

At this stage I think the only Sundays I am free are the 4th or 11th.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Onyx on Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:29 pm

W00DY wrote:Happy to give a lift again Chi if needed. That is if you still live over my way?

Thanks Andrew, I'd appreciate that. Let's see what dates we settle on (I'm okay with anything at this stage, sat or sun)
Onyx

Postby Mal on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:19 pm

UPDATE:
The Park is open from 13 August to the 18th September..

Taking into account what others have said about making it in September our choices are either the 4th 11th or 18th of September. I would suggest we go for the 11th so as not to leave it too late.
I am happy to get in touch with National Parks and see if we can get our own guide.
Who is intersted in the dusk walk or who would prefer the afternoon walk.
Having said that we could do both. Those who only want to do the dusk walk could turn up later :)
Up to you :)
Mal
Mal

Postby leek on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:31 pm

Both sounds good to me...
Cheers, John

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby Rick on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:38 pm

I am certainly interested, at this stage I think most dates are OK, will have to check with the social secretary.

I will keep an eye on the thread but count me in.

Rick
Rick

Postby radar on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:47 pm

Mal wrote:However this is the one that I think would be awesome

Double delight at Muogamarra
Experience the magical atmosphere of sunset from the height of Point Loop. Absorb the peaceful sounds of the bush and its inhabitants at dusk. Then to Tipper's Lookout for the full moon rising over the beautiful Hawkesbury River. Conclude your walk with nibbles and a cuppa or glass of wine (BYO). This is not a spotlight walk. Bring a camera, a small torch, warm clothes for sunset, sturdy walking shoes, hat, rain gear, sun and insect protection, water and a snack.
When: 20/08/2005 04:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours

Hi Mal,

you can also count me in, depending on the date. For the walk described above, you would have to do it that weekend, the full moon is on the 19th and if you wait till the following weekend, the moon will rise much later, so may not be quite as spectacular.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Radar.
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby krush0 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:20 pm

Guys
You dont need a guide for Mougamurra - I go every year
and will be going several times this season. A small group
of us from Nikonians.org are going on the 21st August if anyone
is interested. I will be there with my D2X on 14th as well.

Mark
krush0

Postby birddog114 on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:22 pm

I think we have a group of DSLRuesrs.com will be there as well in a later date.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:10 pm

Mal wrote:
Who is intersted in the dusk walk or who would prefer the afternoon walk.
Having said that we could do both. Those who only want to do the dusk walk could turn up later.

I'd be interested in doing both. Did you find out any info on getting a guide for the afternoon / evening? Not that it really matters if we get a trail map of the park.

Going on Radar's comments about the moon, next weekend might be the go if we have time to organise it. I can do the Saturday afternoon / evening but Sunday is out.

Otherwise the weekend of the 3rd or 4th of September is the only other weekend I can make it.

Looking forward to locking in a date.

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Geoff on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Mal wrote:I know that we can not do the walks with out a guide. however if we had a good group (at least over 5) then i am sure that we could do the walk at our own pace.
The guides are all volunteers and sit around waiting for people to turn up and when they have enough they head off. However if we were to do the moonlight walk then I think a phone call could get us all the infomation that we need.
Lets aim for a Sunday either 21st, 28th or the 4th. What are peoples choice?

I'm very interested however I'm working all 3 of these dates! DRATS!
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Mal on Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:54 am

Sorry folks been working in Canberra over the weekend and away from the computer.

But here is the heads up for Muogamarra.

The only night walk available is on this Saturday the 20th. No good for me as it is my son's birthday party.

So I would like to suggest those that are intersted in the evening walk call and book on 9472 9300

I would like to suggest a Sunday afternoon photoshoot on the 4th of September. Meeting at Muogamarra at 11. Park is open from 9am to 4:30pm.

We do not need a guide and can take our time and go where we want :)

Who is in and up for this date?
Mal
Mal

Postby Jenno on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:04 pm

The only complication with 4 Septemeber is that its Father's day

Ray
Jenno

Postby birddog114 on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:06 pm

Jenno wrote:The only complication with 4 Septemeber is that its Father's day

Ray

Easy task jenno! members will take all their fathers upthere for a shoot! :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Mal on Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:53 pm

mmm Good Point Jenno. We can move it to the 11th if this is a real concern for folks. But as Birddog said we can bring the fathers along... For me I will just say it's my day and I'm going shooting!!! But I fully understand if other would prefer the 11th
Mal
Mal

Postby Rick on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Woody & I are looking to do the afternoon/sunset walk this coming Saturday (20th).

Is anyone else interested, we will have 2 spare seats available for transport from Hills district.

It seams that bookings and a guide are required for evening walk, more photogs may enable us to get our own guide & have more time to shoot & not be concerned with being hurried along.

Let us know if you are intereasted.

Cheers, Rick.
Rick

Postby Mal on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:43 pm

Rick wrote:Woody & I are looking to do the afternoon/sunset walk this coming Saturday (20th).

Is anyone else interested, we will have 2 spare seats available for transport from Hills district.

It seams that bookings and a guide are required for evening walk, more photogs may enable us to get our own guide & have more time to shoot & not be concerned with being hurried along.

Let us know if you are intereasted.

Cheers, Rick.

Rick I would love to join you on this occasion but it will not work for me but lets hope that a few more are intersted. I have decided that I will go on the 11th if anyone else is up for that.
Mal
Mal

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:43 pm

Rick, Woody - if you guys are heading off on the 20th, could I bum a ride?
Onyx

Postby Mal on Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:08 pm

Onyx wrote:Rick, Woody - if you guys are heading off on the 20th, could I bum a ride?

Guys you will need to book! Call 9472 9300 and register with National Parks
Mal
Mal

Postby Rick on Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Onyx,

A ride is no problem, I will ring and make the booking tomorrow, I will confirm times etc, later in the week, the weather forcast for Saturday wasn't to promosing, but lets wait & see.

Rick
Rick

Postby W00DY on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:41 am

Mal wrote:

Rick I would love to join you on this occasion but it will not work for me but lets hope that a few more are intersted. I have decided that I will go on the 11th if anyone else is up for that.

Mal,

I will try and make the 11th as well. Not sure what we have on that weekend yet, are you thinking an afternoon / dawn walk as well on the 11th?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Mal on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:04 pm

W00DY wrote:
Mal wrote:

Mal,

I will try and make the 11th as well. Not sure what we have on that weekend yet, are you thinking an afternoon / dawn walk as well on the 11th?

W00DY

Woody the only evening walk is on this weekend. So on the 11th I will be doing a afternoon walk. I plan to get there at 1pm. Light will be harsh but it will give me time to get to the trig station for the dusk shots. They clsoe the gates at 4:30pm..
Mal
Mal

Postby Rick on Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:20 pm

Bad Luck,

I just rang Nat Parks to book for Sat evening, walk full !!!

I was told they might have another evening walk later in the season but no chance this weekend.

Rick.
Rick

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:05 pm

Rick wrote:Bad Luck,

I just rang Nat Parks to book for Sat evening, walk full !!!

I was told they might have another evening walk later in the season but no chance this weekend.

Rick.

These events, if you want to get your feet on you have well advanced book few months ago. I have some friends, they called and booked the walk in early of July this year and it was full.

Don't worry Rick, Three of you (Rick + Woody+ Onyx) may climb over the gate, get inside and walk freely :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:39 am

Onyx,

Not the best weather for walking through a park today so I think we will postpone this trip.

Hopefully better conditions on the 11th.

Cheers,
W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:01 am

W00DY wrote:Onyx,

Not the best weather for walking through a park today so I think we will postpone this trip.
W00DY

What do you mean "not the best weather"?
Rain, hail, shine! let's go!
People is worrying about wet!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby leek on Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Well after a snap decision this morning, we decided to head up to Muogamarra this morning... I have been trying to get out to these open weekends for a couple of years and I was not disappointed...

There are some superb views - very close to the car-park. There is also an abundance of wild flowers and you do not need to stray from the tracks to capture them... There are also a lot of bees around - which make for good Macro subjects...

I met up with a small group from Nikonians - I think it was Mark / krush0 from this forum and another guy called Alastair. They all seemed much better equipped than I was, and I'm sure they will have captured many more keepers than I did... Mark... if you read this, please post a link to the photos that you guys took today...

Some of my shots from today are in this thread...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby krush0 on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:31 pm

Hi John
Good to run into another Nikon user :)
We had a good day - I was out there last week as well
and we intend to get out there again before it closes.
Here are some I posted last week:
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforu ... e=threaded
and:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID74/2554.html

I havent uploaded any from today yet but got a few nice shots :)

And if you go here there are a few more from Alistair and myself:
http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforu ... =DCConfID5

Hope you had success with yours
Mark
krush0

Greetings

Postby Alistair on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:32 pm

G'day John

That was me and Jeff you bumped in to on the track (I imagine you saw Mark first). Wasn't it a lovely day?

Was good to bump in to some other Nikon users. We should all catch up some time.
Alistair

Re: Greetings

Postby leek on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:41 pm

Alistair wrote:G'day John

That was me and Jeff you bumped in to on the track (I imagine you saw Mark first). Wasn't it a lovely day?

Was good to bump in to some other Nikon users. We should all catch up some time.

G'day Alistair... Yep... It was good to meet up with you all today... I spotted the familiar yellow logo from a distance... Now that this forum aims for a wider audience than D70 users (in fact far too many people in our group have D2xs already), maybe we can convince you along to a Sydney mini-meet - there were 30+ people at the meet yesterday...

Failing that, I'd love to hear if you are going out to Muogamarra again... I'd love to come along... BTW... where do you find the local things on Nikonians... perhaps you'd like to PM me the answer...
Cheers, John

leek

Definitely plan to hit Muogamarra again

Postby Alistair on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:56 pm

Not really sure how it all started... I think chatting to Mark (Krush0) in the macro forum on Nikonians, admiring his great photographs and then meeting up with him a few times. Now we often communicate by email, rather than in the forums.

If you want to pm me your email I'll let you know when we're heading up to Muogamarra again; there's definitely another trip in me this year!

When is your next meet?
Alistair

Return to Sydney