Nikon Quality

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon Quality

Postby Oneputt on Thu May 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Members of this forum may or may not be aware of my issues with the rubber on the CF door of my D2X falling off and my disatisfacation with Nikon's repsonse which after much pushing is to offer me a new door, to fit myself.

I am very tempted to accept this offer, but there is a larger issue involved. Nikon claim that it is sweat and oil from the hands penetrating the rubber and breaking down the glue, which causes the problem. Fair enough that may be why it happens. My point is that holding a camera is normal use and therefore the camera is not fit for it's intended use, which under Australian Consumer laws it must be.

I know that another member has had exactly the same problem as I have and another has the rubber grip on his D200 do the same. Australia wide there must be a lot of people with exactly the same issue.

I intend to post this on as many forums as I can with the intention of taking a class action against Nikon to force them to accept full liability for this quality issue.

If anyone else has problems and is willing to join me you can either post here or PM me.
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby olrac on Thu May 10, 2007 12:25 pm

I have not had the issue but I belive in what you are doing.

Fully extend your rights my man....
olrac

Postby wendellt on Thu May 10, 2007 12:32 pm

the ribber grip on my d2x started coming off a few months after i owned it

nikon fixed the problem during service but they charged me outside the warranty

also on the 28-70 the rubber ring on the zoom ust fell off after a few months

i guess it comes down to how much you use the camera i have seen other press photographers cameras their in heaps worse shape
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby macka on Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 pm

We haven't had this problem - yet - with our brand new D200. But what has happened to us and to many others here is that the rubber has fallen off the button on our SB-600 after less than a year of hardly very strenuous use.

There was a thread about this not long ago - if you search maybe you can find it, and it may be useful as it sounds like a similar problem.

Cheers
Cheers,

macka
a.k.a. Kris
macka

Postby gstark on Thu May 10, 2007 1:15 pm

John,

I have seen what i think is a related issue on my CP5700, and as you say, the use of a camera, in one's hands, would, i think, be considered to be normal usage.

Have they given you this reason for the failure in writing?

Can we please have a show of hands from members who have exxperienced this sort of issue - the premature failure of the rubber grips on their Nikon cameras.

Let's please keep the posts short and to the point: what we need is to show Nikon that this is considered by their users to be a serious issue, and one they need to address in a positive and professional manner.

Certainly, on a camera with the pricetag of a D2anything, one does not expect this sort of shoddy quality or excuses.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Oneputt on Thu May 10, 2007 1:28 pm

Spot on Gary. I note that the issue has raised it's head on dpreview in the US as well.

No I do not have anything in writing Gary but verbal andvice from Stephen Boyd in NSW.

Oneputt

Postby gstark on Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 pm

John

Why not ask Stephen to commit the reasons and the fix to you via email (or similar)?

The worst is that he will say no.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu May 10, 2007 1:50 pm

The grip on the D200 seems to get in the way of the sub-command dial as if there is excess rubber - I haven't had a chance to chop this off. This inhibits free movement of the SCD sometimes.

The main command dial is not always freely movable.

The F90x, FE, Bronica & Rolleiflex are all fine.

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Oneputt on Thu May 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Gary I will email him and see if I can get him to respond.

Oneputt

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 10, 2007 5:11 pm

This is a known issue that dates back to the original D1. The rubber came off on my D1 and there was nothing I could do to stick it back on :wink:

This has been talked about on many forums and I believe that is the US they do treat it as a manufacturing problem and hence, repair under duty of responsibility.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Thu May 10, 2007 8:08 pm

The rubber on my D200 floats about a little on a hot day. I suspect they used inferior glue.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby SteveGriffin on Thu May 10, 2007 9:59 pm

If I ever get my D200 back from its warranty repair of a failed AF mode selector switch I will let you know if the rubber is falling off it :?

Not Happy Jan :!:
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 10, 2007 10:12 pm

I do know that they use a 3M double sided sticky tape on the rubber that is form matched
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby bwhinnen on Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm

sirhc55 wrote:I do know that they use a 3M double sided sticky tape on the rubber that is form matched

This was listed on dpreview as the tape used... Don't know how true it is, but looks like it may be a better option if it isn't.
bwhinnen

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Maxwell’s told me about the tape when I contacted them about the rubber on the D1. They suggested I repair it myself :roll:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby bwhinnen on Thu May 10, 2007 10:41 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Maxwell’s told me about the tape when I contacted them about the rubber on the D1. They suggested I repair it myself :roll:

Seems to be a common theme, have read similar comments from people in the US with a D200...
bwhinnen

Postby Steffen on Thu May 10, 2007 11:37 pm

On my D2H the rubber on the CF door is coming off, too, about a centimetre so far on the right-hand side (up to the ridge). I suspect the protruding tab in the middle of the rubber piece plays a role in that. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose but gets easily caught when he camera rubs against things...

Reschsmooth wrote:The grip on the D200 seems to get in the way of the sub-command dial as if there is excess rubber - I haven't had a chance to chop this off. This inhibits free movement of the SCD sometimes.

I had that on the D2H, as well. The rubber seems get pushed up under the weight of the camera and eventually interferes with the front command dial.

I carefully sliced a bit off with a razor blade and that fixed it.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby petermmc on Thu May 10, 2007 11:49 pm

I sent my D200 back to fix the loose rubber on the top of the grip. I was going to fix it myself rather than lose my camera for a month but I bit the bullet and sent it in for a fix. At the same time, I had the repairers fix the dead pixel that has been irritating me for 8,000 shots since I first received it.

Pretty disappointing really. That stuff about the sweat is rubbish. The camera boasts being well sealed and one would expect this on the outside as well as the inside. I think they have used the wrong compound.

Both problems were fixed satisfactorily. I think they used 4 gallons of glue as the grip protrudes just a wee bit more than before. That glue cost me $10 in postage and $20 in insurance just to be sure.

Just my $30 worth. The camera was purchased from DD photographics and their service was excellent. Turn around time was just over two weeks.

Peter Mc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby fishafotos on Fri May 11, 2007 3:33 am

I met a guy in London with 2 D2x's and he said he pays to send it off and have the rubber changed on his every 6 months, it just keeps wearing out.
Not very good IMO, especially for a camera in that price bracket.
Nikon D80, MB-D80, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8, SB-800, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
Various bits of borrowed/stolen glass/speedlights etc. - zero style or taste.

http://harryfisherphotos.smugmug.com
fishafotos

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 11, 2007 12:59 pm

"They don't make 'em like they used to"...

This is our Bronica - possibly 10-20 years old or more?

A bit of the leatherette is lifting off on the left hand side (around the corner from the pc synch terminal) - and that's about it!

Compare it to the Nikon D... stories........

P
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby phillipb on Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm

I think it's basically an engineering problem.
The Bronica probably doesn't have any hidden screws under the leatherette whereas the modern cameras do. Still doesn't explain why some modern cameras don't have that problem.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Steffen on Fri May 11, 2007 3:23 pm

Actually, I had to peel the leather off an MD-12 motor winder once that I needed to take apart. It had screws under the leather. Getting it off without ripping it was pretty hard, but afterwards it stuck back on just as before, no glue required.

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby Glen on Sat May 12, 2007 4:53 pm

John, I don't have access to the other site, could you keep us updated here what the results were there? ie 10 D2X respondents, 3 faulty etc. From the posts here it seems like a common problem, as many of the mods and traders there have D2X you should have a good starting sample.
Glen

Return to Trader Opinions