HKSupplies - eBay Store

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

HKSupplies - eBay Store

Postby broadbean on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 pm

This thread is feedback on HKSupplies's eBay store.

This is mainly for the newbies with low participation rates/post counts so do not yet have access to the special HKSupplies offers.

With all the goodwill on this forum about Poon [Hung Lok] and HKSupplies, I was surprised there wasn't a thread with "HKSupplies" in the title.
[Edit - my Sony - there are threads with HK Supplies, but over 12 months ago.] :oops:

btw, Poon of course is his surname, so it's like calling the forum founder Stark instead of Gary...

Anyway, short version:

HKSupplies (eBay store) underpromises and overdelivers. Good communication, very good service. Even if the price may not be the cheapest, as long as it's close enough, you should bump them up to the top of your shopping list.

They quote normally 3-7 days shipping. I bought two separate items on 9/10, paid on 10/10 and received it via FedEx on 12/10 - WOOHOO!!

When comparing prices, it pays to check out their store as they do list a lot of their goods in multiple currencies like British Pound and US Dollar. I purchased my 18-200mm VR lens via their US listing which worked out to be around AUD$870 shipped (using PayPal exchange rates).

Conversely, the item posted in Australian dollars at the same time was $875 + $60 shipping = AUD$935.

Long version:

One of the reasons I joined DSLRUsers (rather than just reading the odd post as a guest here and there) was because I wanted to purchase a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens to go with my D40x. I had an overseas trip coming up, so I was thinking of picking one up from d-d-photographics and claiming the GST back. As I'm travelling with my wife, it should be GST free upon our return.

Then a couple of DSLRUser members posted the possible deals you could get over here on the Whirlpool forums. It sounded good to me, so I was happy to bide my time as there was no rush to get it for this trip.

Then I changed my mind. I thought it made more sense to have the lens for the trip overseas, and as it turned out, the price was probably comparable to the special pricing via the forum, so I went for it.

So for those who are looking at eBay sellers, HKSupplies has great credibility, excellent service, fast shipping, and the prices are nearly the cheapest as well. Highly recommended.

Once you become a fully fledged forum member, no doubt it will be even better.
broadbean

Re: HKSupplies - eBay Store

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:04 pm

broadbean wrote:btw, Poon of course is his surname, so it's like calling the forum founder Stark instead of Gary...

While this is true, I also suspect that this may a cultural thing as well, in that it may be common for some people in Asia to use this way to address people. Please correct me it this is not the case.

I purchased my 18-200mm VR lens via their US listing which worked out to be around AUD$870 shipped (using PayPal exchange rates).

That's actually a very good price.

What's happened is that you've been able to take advantage of the poor value of the US$ and secure a very good rate back to the Pacific Peso.

The forum price is currently PP890 delivered, but I get pricing from Poon in HK$, and in order to try to keep prices relatively stable, I don't do daily adjustments unless they're going to end up embarrasing someone by leaving their payment short.

The reality is that the HK$ doesn't move in the same manner as the US$, and while there's less scope for for frequent adjustments, I happen to believe that less frequent price adjustments are also a good thing.

If/when the rate seems to stabilise around a certain value, then I look to making adjustments.

Once you become a fully fledged forum member, no doubt it will be even better.

As a general rule, yes, but it's always wise to check all of your sources.

And if you've seen a real reduction in the price of a particular item, then perhaps you should bring that to my attention so that i can raise tha with Poon. In the past we've seen some significant price reductions in some items due to the vigilance of our members.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby DVEous on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:04 pm

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby ATJ on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:24 pm

broadbean wrote:With all the goodwill on this forum about Poon [Hung Lok] and HKSupplies, I was surprised there wasn't a thread with "HKSupplies" in the title.
[Edit - my Sony - there are threads with HK Supplies, but over 12 months ago.] :oops:

That's probably because the members of the forum generally don't buy from HKSupplies as such, we buy from the Bargains section of the board. These are supplies from Poon, organised by Gary, hence this thread: Another Poon and DSLR (Gary) plug, which is less than one month old. There are other Poon threads that are less than 12 months old.

By the way, Poon calls himself Poon on this forum so I guess that's what he wants to be called. e.g. http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php? ... ht=#318425
ATJ

Postby MCWB on Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:35 pm

gstark wrote:The reality is that the HK$ doesn't move in the same manner as the US$

Sorry Gary, this is completely incorrect. Hong Kong uses a fixed rate exchange system, with the HKMA allowing US$1 to trade within the fixed limits of HK$7.75 and HK$7.85. Here's a graph of the HK$ against the US$ for the last 2 years, note how small the scale on the y-axis is.

This means that AU$ movements against the US$ are mirrored in AU$ movements against the HK$. Compare the shape of the AU$ against the US$ graph with the AU$ against the HK$ graph.
MCWB

Postby JeffGlue on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:08 am

very interesting!
JeffGlue

Postby broadbean on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:07 am

VK4CP wrote:The item you have claimed GST back on whilst leaving the country MUST be included with your $900 allowance for duty free upon returning.

I know, that's why I had to wait for a trip my wife was also travelling with me so our combined allowance could cover the lens plus extra.

ATJ wrote: That's probably because the members of the forum generally don't buy from HKSupplies as such, we buy from the Bargains section of the board.

I gathered that, which is why the post was addressing the newbies who still have no access to the inner sanctum just yet, and that HKSupplies via eBay (trader opinion) is a very good alternative, and on the rare occasion - even better.

gstark wrote:I also suspect that this may a cultural thing as well, in that it may be common for some people in Asia to use this way to address people. Please correct me it this is not the case.

ATJ also wrote:By the way, Poon calls himself Poon on this forum so I guess that's what he wants to be called.

I think that's more likely because it's easier - I doubt he'd want you to call him "Hung Lok". Chances are, that's not how he's referred to in Chinese either! I suspect maybe something like "Lok Gor (elder brother)" or something!

Of course, Asians with Western first names will just use that. Referring people by their surnames always reminds me of private (high) school days. :)
broadbean

Postby stubbsy on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:54 am

I've met Poon a few times and always called him Poon, but he also goes by the western name of Laurence if you prefer that. As for Poon being his last name - most of my friends call me stubbsy and it's my forum name as well and Stubbs is my last name need I say more. :wink:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 am

MCWB wrote:
gstark wrote:The reality is that the HK$ doesn't move in the same manner as the US$

Sorry Gary, this is completely incorrect.

All I work from is what the bank rate - rather than a Yahoo rate - is that is the conversion rate that Poon says I should use. As that's the rate that he uses to transfer the payments from his Au bank account to his HK bank account, that's the only rate that matters. I have yet to see that rate touch US$0.90, for instance.

But the primary point is that the rates need to settle within a range rather than be volatile over a raft of percentage points, before I can look at revising the pricing.

I simply do not want to place members in the position of finding that, because of the currency fluctuations, they've not paid enough for the products that they've ordered and we need to ask them for extra. That is not a good outcome IMHO.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby The Naked Duck on Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 am

I'm not privy to that section but have purchased stuff from this company and they are brilliant. I'd have no worries about recommending them. BTW.......I'm trying to get my post count up so I can get in there :D
The Naked Duck

Postby jamesw on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:51 pm

because we are talking retail (rather than wholesale, which are most likely what the yahoo graphs are working from) rates, there will be some markup in rates obviously. so yes, gary is right that the only rate that matters (in this context) is the rate that HSBC quotes...

having not looked at how the forex market is going for a few weeks (my int finance 3 lecturer would be mad) i'm surprised at how well the AUD has rebounded...

but back onto the point... the HKD is pegged to the USD (albeit with some flexibility)... so if the AUD remains strong against the USD we should see some reflection of that in the AUD|HKD rates...

edit: some of my eco degree is being put to use?!
body: nikon d200, d70s, f4s, f601.
lens:nikon 35-70mm f2.8, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 10.5mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8.
flash: nikon sb600, sunpak 383 (x1), sunpak 555 (x4), pocketwizard plus II (x4)
jamesdwade.com
dishonourclothing.com
jamesw

Postby MCWB on Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:10 pm

gstark wrote:All I work from is what the bank rate - rather than a Yahoo rate - is that is the conversion rate that Poon says I should use.

I agree that the bank rate is all that matters, I wasn't linking to the Yahoo graphs saying 'this is what the rate should be'. What I was getting at was the trend rather than the actual numbers in that as James says, if the AU$ is strong against the US$ then it is ipso facto strong against the HK$. Whoever's numbers you use (HSBC, xe.com, Yahoo, whatever) this trend is the same.

I understand and accept the many reasons for a price buffer between the published price and (Poon's provided HK$ price divided by the exchange rate of the day), I was just saying that the HK$ vs US$ fluctuation is not one of them as it is miniscule compared with, for example, AU$ vs US$ fluctuation.
MCWB

Postby team piggy on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:21 am

I'm in a position to offer my experiences with HKSupplies. In the past 8 months I have spent about $6k+ AUD with HKsupplies.
I am not eligible on this forum for the bargains, and have compared prices with some who are: Ebay still worked out better value for the gear I wanted.

As others have done, I searched on HKS's US & UK items as they work out a lot cheaper sometimes. EG: D200 & 18-200 and a few bits n pieces for just over $2k AUD!!!

Mind you, the D200 took 6 weeks to arrive due to no stock?? (I was offered to wait or a refund when I finally got an email answered 2 weeks later, at that price I waited!!)
Their Communication however in 90% of my dealings has been poor. Took 9 emails over 16 days before I managed to finally find out about the backorders and waiting times.
I have also emailed after a purchase (during payment etc) inquiring about further items I would be interested in purchasing too, never bought them as the emails never got replied to... :oops:

I purchased again a few more times after this (grips, flash etc) and on most occasions I have never had emails returned.
I will however use them again in the future.

Ratings:
Products: 9
Communcation: 2
Price: 9
Freight speed: 8
Freight Charges: 5
Packing: 6

Overall: 8 * This is a personal rating and not arithmatically arrived at to save and confusion to the masses*
Last edited by team piggy on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
team piggy

Postby DVEous on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:57 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:26 am

VK4CP wrote:Where does the overall of 8 come from?
I think you actually like dealing with HKS, and have built in a fudge factor, because the average of the sum of your individual scores is 6.5. (39 divided by 6).

You assume that "overall" is meant to be derived arithmetically from the other scores.

That may not be the case.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby DVEous on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:51 pm

VK4CP wrote:Then again, we are encouraged not to bog Poon (or Gary for that matter) down with endless emails. I think this is a common problem that eBay vendors face, getting overwhelmed with emails.

Please permit me to add a little bit to this.

First of all, for those who are in any doubt about this, anything that gets sent to any of the "bargains" email addresses comes to me.

If it's a straight order, it gets processed and goes through to Poon automatically. If it's a question, I try to field it initially, and as needed, I may refer it to Poon.

If it's a question about whether Poon has received your money (or something similar), and it's sent within about ten days of you placing your order, it goes into the trash. It will not receive the dignity of any response whatsoever. Please see the FAQ.

The issue of Poon not responding to emails is a frustrating one, and one that is my biggest source of frustration in handling these orders. We are a very small part of his turnover - well under 1% of his sales, by volume, from what I can tell.

When I was there in September, he and his staff were fielding well over 300 emails daily, of which ours might have made up maybe a couple.

Daily!

So it's obvious that the bulk of the emails that they get will be from their eBay transactions: queries, sales, payment information ... whatever. From that, the details need to be matched against a sale and the goods, and then the goods need to be packed and shipped ....

Also, I believe that eBay traders - and probably others, may be too focused on making a sale, to the extent that other, customer service issues might take a lower priority.

In saying that, I can easily understand how emails can go astray, not be answered, or whatever.

I'm not saying it's good, and I'm not saying it's acceptable. I'm simply saying there's a lot happening, and this is a part of it.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby broadbean on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:02 pm

team piggy wrote:In the past 8 months I have spent about $6k+ AUD with HKsupplies.

Did you get invoices/receipts from them afterwards? I need one so I could purchase a Mack warranty to cover my lens, and also something to show Customs in case they think I bought it while I was overseas when I come back into the country.
broadbean

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:17 pm

broadbean wrote:
team piggy wrote:In the past 8 months I have spent about $6k+ AUD with HKsupplies.

Did you get invoices/receipts from them afterwards? I need one so I could purchase a Mack warranty to cover my lens, and also something to show Customs in case they think I bought it while I was overseas when I come back into the country.

In the past I have declared my equipment on leaving the country so it’s not a problem when I come back. If you are not claiming gst then this (and you are not liable under these circumstances) is the way to go.

There is no legality that insists on overseas suppliers issuing an invoice to individual purchasers.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:02 pm

And if anybody mentions "tax invoice" in this thread, I'll bloody well ban them! (read the FAQ!).
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby broadbean on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:45 pm

gstark wrote:And if anybody mentions "tax invoice" in this thread

Not me! :lol:

Bit hard to claim GST back when technically it's zero! This time anyway.
broadbean

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:53 pm

broadbean wrote:
gstark wrote:And if anybody mentions "tax invoice" in this thread

Not me! :lol:

Bit hard to claim GST back when technically it's zero! This time anyway.

That's exactly the point. When you're buying from HK, there is no GST charged by the seller.

Therefore no Tax Invoice.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby who on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 pm

gstark wrote:(read the FAQ!).

What's a FAQ! :?: :lol: :wink:

:roll: hehe
who

Postby phillipb on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:42 pm

Frequently ANSWERED questions. :twisted:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:49 pm

phillipb wrote:Frequently ANSWERED question <strike>s</strike>. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:08 pm

gstark wrote:Therefore no Tax Invoice.

Ban thy self!
ATJ

Postby ATJ on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:09 pm

phillipb wrote:Frequently ANSWERED questions. :twisted:

I always thought it was Frequently ASKED question.
ATJ

Postby MCWB on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:39 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:Therefore no Tax Invoice.

Ban thy self!
Touche! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MCWB

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:44 pm

ATJ wrote:
phillipb wrote:Frequently ANSWERED questions. :twisted:

I always thought it was Frequently ASKED question.

Yes, but here it's too often both.

:(
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby broadbean on Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 pm

sirhc55 wrote:There is no legality that insists on overseas suppliers issuing an invoice to individual purchasers.

But surely you'd get a receipt of some sort? Even if it's some sort of acknowledgement of payment for goods purchased if it's serialised or over a certain value?
broadbean

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 pm

broadbean wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:There is no legality that insists on overseas suppliers issuing an invoice to individual purchasers.

But surely you'd get a receipt of some sort? Even if it's some sort of acknowledgement of payment

How are you making your payment?

In the case of transactions with Poon made through the forum, those are made by bank transfer from your account to his. You have your bank record of your payment, within which you should have put your DSLRU order reference.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby wazonthehill2 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Ok so probably a really dumb question, but you keep talking about hksupplies and ebay purchase, but when looking at Ebay i find hksupplies listed, but nothing for sale and no history past 2004. The link in links section goes to "unknown".
So is hksupplies listing under some other shop name in ebay or am I just computer dunce?

Regards
Waz
wazonthehill2

Postby fozzie on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:35 pm

Waz - try this website:

http://stores.ebay.com/Hong-Kong-Supplies

wazonthehill2 wrote:Ok so probably a really dumb question, but you keep talking about hksupplies and ebay purchase, but when looking at Ebay i find hksupplies listed, but nothing for sale and no history past 2004. The link in links section goes to "unknown".
So is hksupplies listing under some other shop name in ebay or am I just computer dunce?

Regards
Waz
fozzie
Key Member

Postby team piggy on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:18 pm

Where does the overall of 8 come from?

Personal opinion of the trading I have done, Not arithmetically derived as you suggested.

I think you actually like dealing with HKS, and have built in a fudge factor, because the average of the sum of your individual scores is 6.5. (39 divided by 6).

Yes, hence my comment, "I will however use them again in the future". I know that email (as suggested by others is flaky) and I expect this, Sadly it lost about another $3K in immediate follow on sales to them as I couldnt get answers on things). I Bought the other items locally instead.
Then again, we are encouraged not to bog Poon (or Gary for that matter) down with endless emails.
Yes, thru this forums bargain section, we are talking a personal purchase with nothing to do with this forum or others. Direct on Ebay: Buyer to Seller. I dont feel it was too much to request further information on other items (as offered in their generic bot email reply sent when you purchase on their auctions).As stated, It took weeks to get answers on a fairly large (to me) purchase that was on backorder. (I bet you would be wondering a fortnight after sending over 3500 AUD what was going on as you havent heard anything yet??)
Personally dropping all that money in and not having feedback to multiple emails causes angst in the purchaser, you would agree on this.
Did you get invoices/receipts from them afterwards?

No, So warranty is out of the question unless they accept proof of payment/ ebay receipt. I do however as Gary suggested use the Ebay receipt and Bank statements to claim goods if I am using for work. (GST free naturally, Depreciation etc).
I was not eligible to buy thru bargains here (and had read the FAQ) so knew that none would be forthcoming even buying thru ebay and not involving this forum at all. No issue to me, there is a paper trail, thats all that is required on a depriciation schedule.

Overall, Poon does a great service for this and other forums and also via ebay, Somethings are a bit flaky (comms) but I can see he is a Very very busy man!
I have listed my experience, so others can maybe know what to expect if they end up in a similar situation.

Buying thru the bargains here does offer a Oz based port of call (Gary) which gives that bit more support.
And the FAQ sections says the rest :wink:
Last edited by team piggy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
team piggy

Postby broadbean on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:41 am

gstark wrote:How are you making your payment?

This one was via PayPal/eBay. I bought a Mack extended warranty for it, so as long as I can register it and claim any time in the future, then it's all good. That's what I mainly needed it for. I guess the other thing is I wanted some proof I own the item as well.
broadbean

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14 am

broadbean wrote:
gstark wrote:How are you making your payment?

This one was via PayPal/eBay. I bought a Mack extended warranty for it, so as long as I can register it and claim any time in the future, then it's all good. That's what I mainly needed it for. I guess the other thing is I wanted some proof I own the item as well.

Then your record of payment is all that's needed.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Chaase on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:18 pm

team piggy wrote:I am not eligible on this forum for the bargains, and have compared prices with some who are: Ebay still worked out better value for the gear I wanted.

You have hit 50 Posts I think you qualify now :lol:
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby team piggy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:14 pm

lol :lol: your right..

But I compared prices from bargains (dont ask) to the ebay prices I managed to find and I was better off on ebay still.
(I'm not knocking the bargains it was just my situation at the time).

(51 now)..
team piggy

Postby broadbean on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:40 pm

team piggy wrote:But I compared prices from bargains (dont ask) to the ebay prices I managed to find and I was better off on ebay still.
(I'm not knocking the bargains it was just my situation at the time).

As fearless leader says on many occasions:
gstark wrote:As a general rule, yes, but it's always wise to check all of your sources.

Which is fair enough. Of course, sometimes for a little bit extra, may pay to go with the folks you know and trust especially if the alternative is eBay.
broadbean

Postby olrac on Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Gary,

Is there a possiblity of paying for "Bargins" through Paypal? Obviously this incurs some extra cost on Poon's side I for one would be happy to pay the extra.

It would make the order process a little simpler in my opinion,

You make order
Paypal payment request is issued
Payer pays paypal
Poon is notified
Goods are sent

No more questions about payment being received.
olrac

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:26 pm

Carlo,

olrac wrote:Is there a possiblity of paying for "Bargins" through Paypal? Obviously this incurs some extra cost on Poon's side I for one would be happy to pay the extra.

I'm thinking about this as we speak. I have a couple of thoughts, but I'm thinking in terms of doing this at our end, so that any paypal payments are made into an account here (oz), but it would probably need to be an account styled in my name. There are issues associated with that though, because as well as paypl fees, it then also incurs extra bank costs.

But who amongst you would also have an interest in this?

No more questions about payment being received.

They never get answered anyway. (FAQ) :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby methd on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 pm

perhaps a separate column for paypal price and one for normal DD price. sometimes it's handy to pay via credit card (paypal) if you don't have the cash up front.
methd

Postby olrac on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:20 pm

I have had quite a few websites that automate straight to Paypal for secure payment. So there should be some way to integrate with the Orders page.
olrac

Postby ATJ on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Are there fees for PayPal?

I have both sent and received money (AU$ and US$) and never been hit with fees. The exchange rate may not be great when moving between currencies, but keeping the same currency has not incurred me any costs or fees.
ATJ

Postby Biggzie on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Yes the seller pay the transaction fees
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:05 pm

Biggzie wrote:

Yes the seller pay the transaction fees

Yes.

The seller usually passes the fees on to the purchaser.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby team piggy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Paypal would be good, he already takes it via his ebay stores, so cant see the issue in setting it up.
It clears almost instantly too, much better than waiting for the banks to clear stuff.
team piggy

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:54 pm

team piggy wrote:Paypal would be good, he already takes it via his ebay stores, so cant see the issue in setting it up.

You may not see an issue, but I can see several, in fact.

We do not deal with him through his ebay store, which has paypal built in. (Guess who owns payPal?). We deal directly with him.

Our prices are (generally speaking) significantly discounted, and always include delivery. His eBay prices do not. That's because we have just a single interface, the single point of contact ... we can offer a couple of efficiencies at his end that earn us the savings.

We have no interface into PayPal, and I don't have a PayPal merchant account. To use Poon's PayPal account would introduce significant complexities into the existing transaction stream which is not what I want to do.

And why would he want to do that? At the end of the day, we are but a miniscule part of his business, and we are very fortunate to be treated as we are.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Willy wombat on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 am

As a customer who recently bought stuff through the forum I might also say getting stuff delivered Fed Ex and through customs seems to work a treat. Well done guys.
Steve (Nikon D200/D700)
My photography website http://wwphoto.redbubble.com/
My photo blog http://www.redbubble.com/people/wwphoto
Please feel free to offer any constructive criticism on my works
Willy wombat

Postby shakey on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:30 am

I'm happy the way it is. Bank account transfers take 0 - 48 hours. The couple of things I've ordered came speedily. If there is any cut I'd prefer DSLusers to get it rather than Paypal. Having said that there is nothing to stop anyone ordering through ebay if it works out cheaper. I'm not going to tell you how much more my benro legs were after they disappeared off the bargain list....grrr. Then they reappeared on the list a few days after my shipment from another supplier arrived...Oh well :)
shakey

Next

Return to Trader Opinions