Pocket Wizards

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pocket Wizards

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Can I use pocket wizards to fire my D70 and/or D200 (I assume from other things I've read that you can). I'm just wondering exactly how they connect up to trigger the camera?

Thanks,
Craig

(My personal assumption is it will work for the D200, and not for the D70, as I don't have the shutter release socket?)
Alpha_7

Postby xorl on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Yep, you can trigger the D200. However, triggering a D70 would be tricky since it doesn't support an electronic cable release. You could probably jury rig one with a spare remote, duck tape and a soldering iron if you wanted tho' :).
Mark
xorl

Postby foonji on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:43 pm

From what i've read you just need to buy the necessary cable for your camera and away you go. :)

I'd love to setup my camera remotely for a few activities coming up soon, involving explosives and rockets. but prolly better if i had a sound trigger...wonder where i can source one?
foonji

Postby Alpha_7 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Ok some D70 no, without hacking..

BUt with these two cameras, I could have the D70 set as the "primary" shooter, and sync it with the D200 via PWs.

That way set the D200 on a tripod, and shoot from a different angle, different lens with the D70. Each time I press the trigger on the D70 I can trigger the D200 aswell.

Cool!
Alpha_7

Postby adam on Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:31 am

I keep imagining taking many shots around an object in one instance - like an explosion, then rotating it like an animation... possible? ooo!

I've been looking at getting some pocketwizards, either from BHPhotovideo and Ebay, where did you / going to get yours?
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:47 am

I'm just dreaming at the moment, would love to get them, just trying to add to the reasons to justify the cost.
Alpha_7

Postby xorl on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:32 am

Due to RF licensing, there are legal issues when purchasing Pocket Wizards overseas and then using them in Australia. If you want to stay legit and not interfere with someone else's spectrum space you need to purchase Australian Pocket Wizards locally ($$$).
Mark
xorl

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:35 am

Very true Mark, the incorrect RF frequency has the potential to wreak a lot of havoc, if you're near a device that picks it up. BTW - Anyone know who the local AUS supplier would be ?
Alpha_7

Postby adam on Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:53 am

oh :( that's sad news for me!

Tried searching pocketwizards in Australia, found this
http://svc019.wic024p.server-web.com/pr ... cfm?Cat=16
I wonder how much (more)... mmmmm
---
adam

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Adam I've shot them an email, I'll let you know what happens if they get back to me :)
Alpha_7

Postby foonji on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:43 pm

adam wrote:I keep imagining taking many shots around an object in one instance - like an explosion, then rotating it like an animation... possible?

yes its possible, and been done in "hollywood" several times, for example, matrix and bullet time. :)
foonji

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:47 pm

BBC Did it too in their Human Body documentary.
Alpha_7

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:32 pm

Hello Craig
Pocket wizard plus II Transceiver $385.00 each
Flash cable start @ $33.00 inc GST for the basic monoplug connection.
Camera connections $165.00.
Regards
Keith Gibbons
Technical sales

I think I'll be dreaming for a long time..
Alpha_7

Postby adam on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:53 pm

Wow! That's costly!
So if I order from USA, would they possibly sell one that complies to the Australian standards?
or buy the USA one and interfere with other people...... is it a serious issue?
---
adam

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:59 pm

adam wrote:Wow! That's costly!
So if I order from USA, would they possibly sell one that complies to the Australian standards?
or buy the USA one and interfere with other people...... is it a serious issue?

Well it's illegal, but depending on the situation it could also be dangerous.. imagine shooting near a hospital, or near some sensitive radio equipment, if it's using the wrong frequency then you could cause all lots of trouble.. it's probably unlikely but thats why the rules are there, as we make different RF spectrums available for different purposes. (It could be fairly harmless too like just extra static or noise on a cordless telephone, but if you do it buy the book, buy the Aussie ones).
Alpha_7

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Does anyone know the difference in the frequency?
Or what the difference is in the unit?
These days things made for multiple markets like this often just need a different crystal put in, or even just a jumper/switch change. Is this the case here? Mass production forces this type of answer.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby adam on Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:56 pm

I was reading this thread which seems to include an explanation
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/d ... 459154291/
344.04MHz for US and 433MHz for EU.

Which do we use in Australia, US, EU, AUS? :O! I think EU? I asked there.

I looked on ebay and found urgalaxy-au selling the EU standard one :)
---
adam

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:14 pm

I find most radio frequency things, are available in two ranges;

1. Right - which is used globally, and;
2. Wrong - which the US use, because the FCC forgot to ask the rest of the world what they were up to when they defined the standards in 1825...

So, "buy the Australian ones" realy means, buy the "Right" ones.

However, with radio triggers, we are talking about two matched units, so regardless if you get the "Right" ones, or the "Wrong" ones, they will still work.

Back on original topic, I have just today collected some custom leads from a very generous and helpful DSLRusers member, who converted an MC36 (remote cord) for my D200, so it will fire from the master camera, or from a remote radio trigger.

The audio plug from the remote, connects to the 10 pins socket on the D200 (similar for the D70s, but not availabl eon a D70).
Oz_Beachside

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:34 pm

From Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/d ... 459154291/

----------------------------------------------------

209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:osx4MX1GJIQJ:photo.net/bboa...
Patrick Clow , nov 06, 2001; 02:10 p.m.
It was me. I confused Ellis. I'm sorry!!

Anthony is right (as he got all his info from me just last week!).

Years ago, when the first FlashWizards and PocketWizads were being developed, we did a lot of research to find a relatively uncrowded frequency for our radios here in the US. The less crowded, the better radios work. We choose 344.04MHz as a really "quiet" frequency ... and it still is!

At that time we were not aware of European laws (and neither was Europe as this was before unifying laws, and CE branding, were established). What little we knew of them was that we would have to come out with an Italian-only radio, a German-only radio, a British-only radio, etc. It didn't seem worth our while to pursue.

Since then Europe unified their laws and picked the frequency 433MHz as the one we could use all over Europe. 433 is also available in the US. We had a dilemma! Do we change our US PocketWizard frequency in favor of an intercontinental one BUT make our broad base of existing US customers lose forward compatability? Or do we make different world region frequencies and not have units that were sellable world-wide? And if we did go to 433 in the US could we live with the fact that this is a relatively crowded frequency and thus suffer a performance loss? Eek!

(a clever sleuth will ask, well why didn't you make a unversal one for sale in the US that would work on BOTH frequencies? the answer is cost -- any new US PocketWizard owners would have to pay more for a dual frequency unit that only a few jet-setters would actually use. or the small run of universal ones would cost so much that even the jet-setters couldn't afford it! and the universal one would still be only for the US as 344.04MHz is not a useable frequency in the EC. makes my head spin...)

We decided to go with different world zones. It works for cell phones (though people still get annoyed with that), but we feel we made the best decision we could given the circumstances.

Before CE versions of the PocketWizards were made, folk from overseas areas found "sympathetic" US or Canadian dealers and acquired US PocketWizards.

These PocketWizards, like other radios on the market (Quantum FreeWire model only excluded), are probably illegal overseas! How illegal you ask? Well, I'm not a lawyer and can only speak from what little I know about US radio laws and from others' experiences. My input here is purely speculative. I have asked a few folk who may know and am awaiting more real answers.

Now the laws of physics are the same the whole planet over (except maybe New Jersey). PocketWizards WILL WORK just fine anywhere on the planet, the only question is legality.

(speculation on laws to follow -- I am not a lawyer)

In the US I believe that if you are using a radio device and it is causing interference then authorities could say, "Stop using that device." Only if you use it again are you breaking the law. This might be true overseas, but I'm not sure.

In practicality I have heard of many folk using US PocketWizards in Europe without incident. The only report of any trouble I've heard about was several years ago when an official at Wimbledon took issue with the big FlashWizards being used. In that light it seems like PocketWizards usually fly under the radar. Please note, I am not condoning breaking the law -- I am merely reporting others' experiences. Other radio slave manufacturers have sold beneath this radar for years.

A WORD OF ADVICE: when traveling betwixt continents (or even domestically) call your PocketWizards, or ANY other slave device, a simple remote control for your camera. Ship it ahead or put it in checked baggage. I personally would not want to explain to airport security, especially now, that this is a remote triggering device, used for setting things off when you're at a distance, that'll work nearly a quarter mile away and in one method of operation makes a terrific flash of light.

Sorry, Richard, but I have not answered your question (this was more for Ellis and Anthony). While I have a ton of experience with PocketWizards (only 2 people on the planet have more) and a fair amount of experience with Quantum products, I shouldn't answer your question as I work for PocketWizard and it is imprudent for me to talk about competitors (at least in comparison for purchase terms) on this forum. I did so in the past and am horribly embarrassed about it.

Oh yeah, the Sekonic Receiver units are in fact PocketWizards in new suits. And MultiMAX/MAX Quad-Triggering is on the upper 16 channels as the lower 16 are reserved for compatibilty with all other PocketWizards.
Alpha_7

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:17 am

which the US use, because the FCC forgot to ask the rest of the world what they were up to

What do you mean? The US is the whole world

I used to work for IBM. They divided their markets into World Wide (USA), EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Asia Pacific (East Asia & Oceania), Americas (Central & South America, Canada).

Seriously though, the quote from Patrick Chow is quite helpful, though it doesn't answer my exact questions.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Paul on Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:34 am

Craig,
Have you look at the Elinchrom Skyports?
There about half the price of pocket wizards at about 115 GBP, not sure if they'll fire another camera though :?
http://www.blewbmx.com/review,,skyport.php
Nikon F80D, FM2n
RRS BH-55, 055XPROB
Smugmug
Paul

Postby Alpha_7 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:08 pm

I did have a quick read from the link on Strobist... they seem to be a decent stop gap, but I hear Gary's voice " buy right the first time", kind of like Obi-wan hehehe.
Alpha_7

Postby jamesw on Wed May 02, 2007 10:01 pm

i just use a few US triggers.

buy from bhphotovideo, you can buy for about US$180 (plus IIs), they are nothing short of awesome.

no point dealing with AUS dealer, those prices are RIDICULOUS!!!!

i think its a bit nit picky worrying about radio interference etc...
jamesw

Postby jamesw on Wed May 02, 2007 10:09 pm

another thing i might add is,

that you can buuy VERY VERY cheap flash triggers on ebay.

if you want to simply learn and experiment with a radio trigger, these flash triggers are great. i used to have some before pocketwizards, and i bought them off ebay for about $60 (inc postage). you get a trigger for your camera (no cables req'd, just slots on the hot shoe), and a receiver for your flashes (just clips onto the hot shoe mount again, or you can use a pc cable if the flash doesnt go hot shoe).

they arent as reliable as pws, but if you are just learning they certianly are useful.

i prefer PWS because they are much more reliable, in my field of work you dont have 2nd goes at photos if your flashes dont fire!
jamesw

Postby adam on Thu May 03, 2007 1:40 am

I ended up getting elinchrom skyports :) but unfortunately, they won't fire the camera as asked in the first question about the pocketwizards :(
---
adam

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions