Suggestions for studio lighting

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Suggestions for studio lighting

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:02 pm

I've been asked by a local basketball team to take some promotional shots for them. I have access to a large room with a low ceiling, small raised platform illuminated by halogen downlights, with a projector screen against the wall which I think could be useful as a backdrop.

I've never done this kind of studio portrait photography before. I'm concerned about correct lighting more than anything else, though perhaps I also need another lens.

I have a D80 with a Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, an SB800 and a Manfrotto 190 PRO B stick with a Manfrotto 804 RC2 head. My local photography gear shop is here (accessories only, no bodies or lenses), and it has a bewildering array of studio products.

As I said, I'm mainly concerned about the lighting. I realise I'm using a non-professional film lens on a digital body, but the team don't have particularly high expectations (their current shots look like someone took them on a mobile phone), and I like to think that my 28-200 is not bad. However, I'm prepared to purchase a more suitable lens if you guys think it's necessary.
Fortigurn

Postby wendellt on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:08 pm

yiou dont neeed a complex setup to achieve the lighting you want
all can be done with 1 sb800

best to show us examples of what sort of lighting you think is appropriate
proper studio lighting on a subject is a very relative/subjective thing
depends on what sort of look your aiming for

then we can go from here
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Ok, good start. First up, I have no particular idea what I'm aiming at, since I've never done group portraits or studio portraits. I almost always take candid portraits and landscapes.

Judging by the shots which were printed in the newspaper article I was shown, I do know that they want a few shots of the entire team together, and probably want head shots/full length shots of individual members.

Asking the guys what they want doesn't get me very far, partly because only a couple of them have reasonable English (and my Chinese isn't that great), and partly because they don't really know - they expect me to know the specifics. They'll sit or stand wherever I put them, and are happy to do so.

My problem is that I have no experience in coordinating group shots like this, or composing studio portraits. I don't know how to get them to pose, or anything.

I'm glad to hear the SB800 will do the job. I have a Lightsphere as well, if that makes a difference.
Fortigurn

Postby wendellt on Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:49 pm

i cant really advise you on group portraits

but im assuming here its just like a school photo
everyone stands in rows shortest at front tallest at the back

and you just take the standard shot

as for portraits the sb800 on ttl can handle it
its best if you buy a mini softbox attachment for the sb800 and place it on top of your camera for flat lighting
otherwise if you have the ability to use the sb800 off camera attach it to a stand right next to you a little to the side 1 1/2 meteres away from subject and youll get a slightly more interestign lighting effect with gradual light falloff from the opposing side

you can try reference exposure settings like 1/250 f4.5 ISO100 flash on ttl
ee what thats gives you then tune the flash comp + - until you get what you want, but flash placement and the way the light bounces off the walls and ambient light(halogens) also play a role so its hard to describe in detail exactly what you need to do
but 1/250 that should cut out the ambient light and your backgroudn would look somewhat dark not white which could be good for speration of subject otherwise if you want a white background you may need more lights and a re-think about exposure

but i think its really important to show uis examples the ligthting i described gives you a somewhat contrasty look to get even commercially appealing(public) ligting two flashes on either side with softboxes and a reflector tucked under the chin of the subject is required for that balanced lighting look
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Fortigurn on Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:00 pm

Thanks, that's very useful advice. I'll see if I can arrange a reference shoot, and go from there.
Fortigurn

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions