Gray Market ???

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Gray Market ???

Postby dafris on Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi, I'm looking around to find a good price on a new Nikon D80 with 18 - 135 Nikon lens. I have been looking at HK Supplies and also ManCams Digital on ebay.

I have read a few ebay stores 'declarations' and can someone please tell me what is meant by "gray market" or "parallel import" merchandise.

Should I be wary of these two suppliers or can someone tell me if I buy - Will I be getting the real thing.

Not sure,
Regards David
dafris

Postby Nnnnsic on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:00 am

Grey markets goods are just goods purchased from a market not the one you reside in.

For instance, if you purchase a camera from either America or Hong Kong while you live in Australia, you're buying grey market. You're still getting the same merchandise (more than likely) and it's likely that it's authentic, especially when talking photographic equipment, but it's just coming from a different country.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Grey market

Postby dafris on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:02 am

Hi, Thanks heaps - really appreciate the quick feedback. Cheers, David
dafris

Postby Marvin on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:44 am

I have bought from Discount Digital Photographics who sell parallel imports and have had no problems at all. The beauty of buying a grey from an Australian importer is that you don't risk paying duty and they are already here and you have a local contact to deal with, but still cheaper than the shops. It's slightly more expensive than ebay though.
OR, make the required amount of posts here and access the bargain section, which is fantastic and highly recommended - you know you will get it quickly and with confidence.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby DVEous on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:27 am

... Obsolete ...
Last edited by DVEous on Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVEous

Postby daniel_r on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Having dealt with Photo Continental a couple of times, they get a big tick for a recommendation.

Another thing I have found is that if you actually place the order via email or over the phone with Photo Continental, they'll try to give you a better price than through their online store.
D.
Daniel_R's Flickr gallery
I shoot with Nikon stuff.
daniel_r

Postby Nathan Rodger on Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:26 pm

DD are good - and Photo Buff are great too... As long as you are comfortable with the T's&C's of gray market - then there is no reason not to buy it gray...

Cheers, Nathan.
Nathan Rodger

Postby Marvin on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm

VK4CP wrote:The moral of the story, well two, actually;
* Don't assume an on-line seller is cheaper
* Shop around

:wink:

No don't assume they are cheaper. However, when I bought my stuff they definitely were, and I did shop around. Bear in mind though, that I live in a small country town and ANYTHING is cheaper!! :wink: But I agree - shop around!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby jamesw on Wed May 02, 2007 10:14 pm

i have bought a sb600 from dd, it came quickly (3 days of sending my eft) and was great.

after some time (about 6 montsh) the flash stopped working. i emailed DD and they called me within 2 days (was a public holiday weekend) and said that i just needed to send it back with a written description of the problem and theyd have a look.

5 days after mailing them the flash, i had a new one in my hands, and only had to pay the postage to send my flash back (they paid for the postage to send me the new one).

it probably would have been more of a pain to get my flash warenteed if it was aus stock (i'd bet id have to run through hoops for the dealer and nikon aus!)
jamesw

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions