lense quality

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

lense quality

Postby Swinners on Fri May 04, 2007 11:07 am

Hey guys and girls im only very new hear and realatively new to the whole photographic scene. I have just recently purchased a Canon 400D and am looking for a couple of upgrades from the kit lenses. My main question is canon lenses have differing quality going up to the L series lenses. Do the other lense makers such as sigma and tamaron have this kind of structure and how can you tell what quality there lenses are.

I hope everyone understands my question. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers Luke
Swinners

Postby Raskill on Fri May 04, 2007 11:13 am

I know Sigma has an 'Ex' range, that is supposedly their 'pro' ranges. Lenses suck as their 24-70 F/2.8, 70-200 F/2.8, 120-300 F/2.8 and 300mm F/2.8 all fall in this catagory.

Sigma isn't a bad option if money is a bit tight. I've got all Sigma lenses and am very happy with them.

Can't speak for tamrom though.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby bwhinnen on Fri May 04, 2007 11:54 am

Raskill wrote:I know Sigma has an 'Ex' range, that is supposedly their 'pro' ranges. Lenses suck as their 24-70 F/2.8, 70-200 F/2.8, 120-300 F/2.8 and 300mm F/2.8 all fall in this catagory.

Sigma isn't a bad option if money is a bit tight. I've got all Sigma lenses and am very happy with them.

That's a bit of a slip-up there Alan! Are you saying that your Sigma lenses suck :?:
bwhinnen

Postby sirhc55 on Fri May 04, 2007 12:00 pm

At the present time I do not have one Nikon lens - all Sigma and a lone Tamron - all great lenses.

Although good quality glass can be an asset under certain conditions, it really comes down to the person taking the photograph and not the equipment.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Raskill on Fri May 04, 2007 12:41 pm

bwhinnen wrote:
Raskill wrote:I know Sigma has an 'Ex' range, that is supposedly their 'pro' ranges. Lenses suck as their 24-70 F/2.8, 70-200 F/2.8, 120-300 F/2.8 and 300mm F/2.8 all fall in this catagory.

That's a bit of a slip-up there Alan! Are you saying that your Sigma lenses suck :?:

:lol: :lol: :roll:

'Such', I meant 'such', all you freudians out there can go smoke a cigar!!!
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby bwhinnen on Fri May 04, 2007 3:00 pm

Raskill wrote:
bwhinnen wrote:

:lol: :lol: :roll:

'Such', I meant 'such', all you freudians out there can go smoke a cigar!!!

:P But it was fun :)

Sorry to hijack a perfectly good thread... I've not used any Sigma lenses either normal or EX so I can't comment.
bwhinnen

Postby gstark on Fri May 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Freudian Slip, Alan? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions