How does EV step (compensation) work?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How does EV step (compensation) work?

Postby iGBH on Thu May 17, 2007 9:56 am

I was reading through the manual for the D80 the other day and it mentions that when adjustments are made to EV compensation, neither the aperture or shutter speed changes.

From my limited understanding of photography I know that exposure is basically influenced by aperture size, shutter speed and ISO. So if exposure compensation does not change aperture or shutter speed does that mean it must alter the ISO to increase/decrease exposure? I don't think it does but i am not aware of any other way it could do it?
iGBH

Re: How does EV step (compensation) work?

Postby Greg B on Thu May 17, 2007 10:11 am

iGBH wrote:I was reading through the manual for the D80 the other day and it mentions that when adjustments are made to EV compensation, neither the aperture or shutter speed changes.

From my limited understanding of photography I know that exposure is basically influenced by aperture size, shutter speed and ISO. So if exposure compensation does not change aperture or shutter speed does that mean it must alter the ISO to increase/decrease exposure? I don't think it does but i am not aware of any other way it could do it?

Hi iGBH.

What the manual actually says is that, in Manual mode the shutter speed and aperture aren't changed, just the exposure information in the electronic analogue exposure display is changed.

In the other modes such as Auto, Program, Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority, changes are made to aperture or shutter speed to give effect to the exposure compensation.

cheers
Last edited by Greg B on Thu May 17, 2007 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby iGBH on Thu May 17, 2007 10:13 am

Ok, thanks. That does make more sense.
iGBH

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions