new member with question please about canon or nikon?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

new member with question please about canon or nikon?

Postby huw62 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Hi all, i am looking at buying a dslr camera and cant decide between the nikon d80 Packaged with Nikon AF-S 18-135mm f/3-5.6G ED Lens for $1589.00
or the canon 400d
Enthusiast Lens Kit with a Canon 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens $1675.00

from what i have read the nikon has a few advantages (better battery life faster start up, and better build quality) than the canon but is it worth paying for image stabilisation, as in the canon?
does the nikon have any sort of image stabilisation?
both prices are from discount digital photographics and i have read they seem good people to deal with and the best prices i can find.
is there anyone with better prices?
i live in Geelong Victoria so would prefer to shop in Australia unless there is a reputable dealer you deal with overseas? if buying overseas do you have to pay duty? gst? when it arrives?
feel free to post your opinions. thanks
huw62

Postby christiand on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi there,

I haven't got definite answers to all of your questions, but I may be able to point you towards some information you need.

Nikon DSLRs do not have image stabilasation in the camera and I believe Canon doesn't have either.
Nikon provides image stabilisation in its VR range of lenses.
Canon has a similar range of lenses.

DD-photographics are a good source of camera equipment in Australia.

You may have to do a little bit more research and the bargain section here - once you qualify - may save you even more money.

Cheers,
CD
christiand

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:02 pm

Let me set one thing straight for you so you know you're fine: You can't really go wrong with any DSLR (except maybe the Sony A series).

With that in mind, most DSLR's are engineered to be decent, even the ones that are low end.

That said, almost everyone I've met with a 400D has either found it unsatisfying but has kept it or have found it unsatisfying and moved on to the D80.

That's not to put a bullet in the 400D. You might like it and it certainly has a lot of fans.

One thing you should do is one of the most important things you can do when purchasing any piece of imaging equipment that you have to use physically: go into a store and try it out.

It's no use having plonked down over one thousand dollars only to find that the bloody thing doesn't feel comfortable in your hands.

So go to a camera store near you and ask to try them out. Bring a memory card with if you have one (CF for the 400D, SD for the D80) and try it out.

Also, you could try the D40x on the Nikon side which is technically what the 400D competes with.

As for your questions, let me try to answer them as best as I can while I eat my fish & chips.

Neither the D80 nor the 400D have inbuilt stabilisation. The 400D does have a sensor cleaning mechanism, but in a recent test it was found that it pretty much does piss all and you may as well use a Giotto Blower like the rest of us.

DD Photographics are apparently okay to deal with. Without getting into territory that might find them annoyed at what I have to say, I have at least one friend who came away from the experience of purchasing from them not so impressed. As far as I'm aware, you're still buying a camera from Hong Kong when going through DD, but not having used them in the past, I've got no real idea.

If you stick around this forum for a while and make some posts, you'll eventually be given access to our bargains, though.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 pm

get to a shop, hold a few in your hands. See if your double jointed finger can drive the thumb wheel on a canon. for me, ergonomics play a big part, as I want to feel comfortable with my camera in my hand for hours on end.

for example, the D40 (as per my notes in this thread http://www.dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=22865&highlight=d40 ) is far too small if you have large hands. Inverse applies to the D200.

at entry level, they cover enough of the same ground (I think).
Oz_Beachside

Postby daniel81 on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:22 am

Just to clarify, the image stabilizer you speak of is in the 17-85 IS USM Lens. Not in the 400d camera body itself.

I own this lens with a 400d. Its a great lens and you're wise for looking at it over the other kit lenses (EFS 18-55 & 70-300). Image stabilizer does improve hand held shots, but only to a certain extent. A fast lens (at least f2.8 ) will prove more handy in low light and with fast moving subjects.

The D80 is a great camera too. As mentioned elsewhere, Nikon make lenses with image stabilization also, but AFS 18-135 isn't one of them. I've read good things about that lens though, and its range makes it a great walkaround. But in low light the 3-5.6 variable aperture may let you down.

I was in your situation not too long ago, choosing between the 400d and d80. I went with the Canon because of its low noise at high ISO's (I shoot fast moving objects and in low light a lot). If I was you, I'd have a serious think about what you want to shoot (portraits, landscapes, action) when you'll shoot it (day or night, indoors or outdoors) and make your decision from there. Also take a look at the lens range for both Canon & Nikon, and think about which system you'd think would suit you better in the future. No doubt about it, you'll want to add to your lens collection soon after buying your DSLR!
daniel81

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:56 am

Oz_Beachside wrote:the D40 is far too small if you have large hands. Inverse applies to the D200.

That's not entirely true. I've got quite small hands for a full-grown adult (shut up Dad) and I love the full sized cameras like the D2's.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions