Zoo

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Zoo

Postby rcg on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi I'm new to this site and new to DSLRs. I am heading to the Melbourne Zoo soon with my brand new Canon 400D. Just wondering if any one has any tips or advice in general about taking photos at the zoo.
Thanks Meg.
rcg

Postby Big V on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:15 pm

Meg, use the widest aperture you can i.e. smallest number, shoot with the longest lens you have and this will help blur the fences and throw the backgrounds out of focus, to make it look more natural. If shooting against glass, use a lens hood to stop reflections. A bit of fill flash helps bring out the eyes and colours..
Here are a couple of examples..
This one was shot through glass,
This one through the fence
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:49 am

Meg - if is at all possible select a day when it is overcast (even light) with ISO400.

fozzie
fozzie
Key Member

Postby sunnylass on Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:54 am

Those two pics you've got up are stunning! I'd love to know more about the hood to stop reflection. If I can pull off something like that, I'll be a very happy girl.
sunnylass

Postby rcg on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks heaps for all of the advice. I'm not going for another couple of weeks but I can't wait. Big V, I agree, those shots look great. Thanks again everybody I hope I can take something decent when I get there.
Meg
rcg

Postby Big V on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:22 pm

Sunnylass,I am using the Sigma 80-400 lens and it comes with a pretty big lens hood, so I just but that up to the glass to stop reflections. Another trick is to buy some of that black sofcore foam from a craft shop - it comes in a4 sheets for around a dollar fifty and make a tube to wrap around the end of your lens, it will do the same thing. Just make sure it is not too long as you will get vignetting. Glad you liked the examples.
Canon
Big V

Postby sunnylass on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:34 pm

You'll have a lovely time at the zoo.
sunnylass

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions