Motion Panning

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Motion Panning

Postby Myrtle on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Quick question - I have a D80 and have been trying to do some motion panning shots but when the shutter is open you can't see through the eye piece to keep track of the subject being photographed - just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep the subject in the correct lens focus area while you are following it? I'm new to this kind of technique and as the next camera club subject is motion panning, I want to at least try and get an image good enough to enter.

TIA

Linda
Myrtle

Re: Motion Panning

Postby surenj on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:09 pm

I am no expert but I thought the shutter was only open 1/80th or so when you pan..you should not notice the shut shutter.... :)
surenj

Postby wojtek on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:30 pm

I'm no expert on this but what I found works for me is
setting the aperture as small as i can (which helps for the motion blur effect),
setting the focus mode to continious,
setting the shutter mode to multiple exposure (name escapes me)
Then what I do is I line up the subject in the view finder, start to follow them and start firing off shots, i open both eyes so i can track better, most times I will end up with one or two shots that are usable.
wojtek

Postby Pehpsi on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:42 am

What are you trying to shoot? What shutter speed are you attempting to use? What program mode are you in?

I don't understand why you can't see through the view-finder when trying to shoot.. :?
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby Myrtle on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:36 am

Pehpsi wrote:What shutter speed are you attempting to use? What program mode are you in?

Programme mode - shutter priorty.
Shutter speed was 2 seconds as I was shooting last night. Okay I know stupid etc :shock: to try panning at that speed but you know a newbie starts somewhere even if it is all wrong.

Thanks for the help peoples.

Linda
Note to self: when learning motion panning do it during the day!
Myrtle

Postby Pehpsi on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:59 am

The good thing is that you can try whatever you want and experiment as much as you like. It's a great way to come up with new results, and also learn in the process. Good luck.. :)
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions