weather proof?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

weather proof?

Postby Evil_Robot Santa on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:24 pm

:?: Can anyone tell me if there are any weather proof lenses?. This is a very newbie question I know but this seems like the right place to ask.Pentax-DA*?
Evil_Robot Santa

Re: weather proof?

Postby Biggzie on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:28 am

Yes the Pentax DA* series of lenses are weatherproof when used on a K10 or K20 body.

You havent stated what camera you want to use the lenses with though.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby Evil_Robot Santa on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:34 am

I have a Pextax K200D body and two Sigma Lenses. The question is can I buy some type of protection for these lenses or should I buy a new lens? The sales guy did not tell me that these lenses are not weather proof, but my camera body is.
Evil_Robot Santa

Postby gstark on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:48 am

Evil_Robot Santa wrote:I have a Pextax K200D body and two Sigma Lenses. The question is can I buy some type of protection for these lenses or should I buy a new lens? The sales guy did not tell me that these lenses are not weather proof, but my camera body is.

What is the difference between weather proof as against weather resistant?

Unless you're using something like a D3 or a 1D, I would be inclined to call the camera weather resistant, and thus some element of prudence, when faced with inclement weather, would be appropriate.

For protection, you might consider something like an Ewa bag, or perhaps an Op-Tech cover of some sort. These afford different levels of protection for your gear, and let's face it, keeping the elements away from the stuff in the first place is the best form of defence.

Finally, welcome, and please take a few moments to read the note for new members that's on the forum's front page; could you please put a meaningful location in your profile?

Cheerz.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions