Polarizing Filter

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Polarizing Filter

Postby Doctor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 pm

So, im heading to the snow on Saturday for a week of partying with my mates and have decided to take my DSLR along with me to get some shots of the boys and girls on the mountain, and maybe some landscape stuff. Ive been suggested a polarizing filter and have budgeted to buy one before i go, looking at around $65 for one to fit my lenses....

So my real question is, what type do i get? circular... or what ever the other options are? are there any benefits to one over the other?

Cheers in advance

Chris
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Re: Polarizing Filter

Postby Glen on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Chris, for a DSLR circular is really the main choice, when you get it point it at a sunny sky and turn it around, you will see the changes. I am sure you will get a few recommendations on brands and where to purchase, probably would help if you mentioned the lens or front element size so people could make more specific recommendations. Some lenses such as wide angle lenses need thin filters so they will not vignette etc.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Doctor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Glen wrote:Chris, for a DSLR circular is really the main choice, when you get it point it at a sunny sky and turn it around, you will see the changes. I am sure you will get a few recommendations on brands and where to purchase, probably would help if you mentioned the lens or front element size so people could make more specific recommendations. Some lenses such as wide angle lenses need thin filters so they will not vignette etc.

Cheers for the help mate, its a 400D with the standard twin lens kit, an 18-55 and a 75-300, i cant see the 75-300 being used much and i am considering taking a 28-80 canon lens as well, only problem is, my insurance doesnt cover it, cos its not mine. All three lenses have a 58mm UV filter on them allready as well, so if this info helps, fire away!!

In the past i have used L & P Photographic in Kent town in Adelaide as they were recommended to me years ago, and i am yet to fault their service.

Thanks again, :up:

Chris
Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one
Doctor

Postby Jase555 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:23 pm

You don't need to spend a lot for a polarizing filter - I just paid for a Hoya off ebay - $6.50 including postage. Not from HK either, an actual Aussie seller! Chuffed I am!
Proud Pentax user!

Images of life, land & speed
http://www.555images.com
Jase555

Postby digitor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Doctor, your choice will be easy! I think the only CPL you will get at that price if you're shopping locally will be the Hoya standard - but don't let that spoil your day, as long as you don't shoot into the sun with it (where a polariser is useless anyway) you won't notice much difference.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby digitor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Jase555 wrote:You don't need to spend a lot for a polarizing filter - I just paid for a Hoya off ebay - $6.50 including postage. Not from HK either, an actual Aussie seller! Chuffed I am!

That's cheap! What size is it? Please post back here after you get it, and let us know how it works out.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Doctor on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:46 pm

digitor wrote:Doctor, your choice will be easy! I think the only CPL you will get at that price if you're shopping locally will be the Hoya standard - but don't let that spoil your day, as long as you don't shoot into the sun with it (where a polariser is useless anyway) you won't notice much difference.

Cheers

I was anticipating something around that price range, and being an amatuer photgrapher with no snow shooting experience its a learning curve, just hoping we get some sunny days where i can attempt some shots.

digitor wrote:
Jase555 wrote:You don't need to spend a lot for a polarizing filter - I just paid for a Hoya off ebay - $6.50 including postage. Not from HK either, an actual Aussie seller! Chuffed I am!

That's cheap! What size is it? Please post back here after you get it, and let us know how it works out.

Cheers

Im interested to see how this turns out too, i didnt look on ebay, and i wont get anything by the time i leave if i buy now anyway, so ill settle for getting something retail and learn from the experience

Thanks for the help guys!
Doctor

Postby Jase555 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:39 am

Just saw I was meant to reply - CPL arrived fine, genuine article, 58mm, and I'm happy with the shots I am getting - see my airport shots in the Image CC thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33385
Proud Pentax user!

Images of life, land & speed
http://www.555images.com
Jase555

Postby Doctor on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:02 pm

I saw that thread, didnt realize it was you, good to hear you got what you paid for, i paid $64.66 for a Hoya one, with a 10% discount, cant recommend L&P Photographics in Kent Town SA highly enough, did what i needed it too, ill put up some results later when i get my site running again
Doctor

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions