Best way to get 35mm strip negatives to digital

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby chrisk on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:23 pm

is the best way a v700 or is there something better/ easier ? i have hundreds of strips i want to get onto the PC. i dont need a scanner to do anything else and dont need any multifunctionality, its only for this purpose.
thanks.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: Best way to get 35mm strip negatives to digital

Postby Matt. K on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Best way is with a drum scanner.......but very, very, very expensive. Next best is a V700....and you will not be able to tell the difference unless you print 5 metres by 5 metres. Maybe not even then.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 am

I think the best way is to pay somebody else to do it!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby chrisk on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

the foto fanatic wrote:I think the best way is to pay somebody else to do it!

I had considered this aswell. What's the going rate ? Do they charge per strip or what ? Anyone have any recommendations/ experiences in Sydney ?
chrisk

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Between you and Suren wanting to do some film scanning i would just buy a V700 and charge ya both :rotfl2:
The V700 is around the 600 buck mark, i guess depending on how much it costs to have some one do it - a quick google search reveals 90 cents a image seems to be a going rate for 'hi-res' strip negatives... if you have a thousand images and teh time to burn, then a V700 might be a better option?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:53 pm

Rooz wrote:
the foto fanatic wrote:I think the best way is to pay somebody else to do it!

I had considered this aswell. What's the going rate ? Do they charge per strip or what ? Anyone have any recommendations/ experiences in Sydney ?

Have a look at C41digital in Brookvale, Next to the knock shop or Vision Graphics at St Leonard's,

Depending on how many strips you have, you cold buy a V700 and then resell after you finish. You would probably only lose about 200-300.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm

A V700 is the way to go. I don't know that you'll find a drum scanner these days even in a lab, Nikon film scanners are obselete and I think don't work with Win7-64 and an Imacon costs about $10,000. An Imacon would give you close enough to full resolution which if you were shooting Velvia with impeccable technique and equipment is probably around 4,000dpi or possible a little more. A V700 will give you probably 2,500dpi, maybe up to 2,800dpi, good enough for an A3+ print. The claimed 6,400dpi resolution is theoretical not actual. A cheaper Epson scanner is not a good idea because even though the scanning engine and the quality will probably be the same, you will waste too much time scanning say one strip at a time. Scanning is always time-consuming.

The standard Epson software is likely to be good enough. You may get a bit more with Vuescan (eg multiscanning) but the extra $80 is probably not required. You may get a bit more again from Silverfast AI Studio (eg better multiscanning and may be better for negs) but that's quite quite expensive and there's a significant learning curve. Cheaper Silverfast options are likely to be a waste of time. If you really want to get adventurous and experimental in search of better scanning quality, wet-scanning is a possibility. I've never tried it myself and it's likely to be time-consuming; I doubt you'd want to but I should be able to find some links if you do.

I don't think getting scans done is a good idea. Either it'll cost too much or the quality probably won't be that good (and it may still cost too much) and you're losing control of the process.

So, likely recommendation in summary: V700 with standard Epson software. You'll want to scan without clipping highlight or shadow detail, generating a somewhat flat file somewhat like a RAW file, then optimise in Lightroom or Photoshop.
Murray Foote

Postby Matt. K on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Here's the trick...buy a V700 and scan all of your negs withing 3 months. Sell V700 with 9 month guarantee left on it and you will only lose about $95.00 on your original purchase price.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby Matt. K on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Forgot to mention...you get a version of Silverfast with the purchase ofa V700...but the Epson software is excellent.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 am

Another point to consider is the quality and type of the original negative or slide.

If they are fine art shots then you may well want to have full control over the process as Matt suggests. But if they are happy snaps and family memories such fine detail may not be necessary or even optimal.
You will have to judge what your time is worth too - do you wish to spend hours scanning, or are you happy to pay someone to get it done.
When I was digitising my slides I soon tired of it and sent them to a lab.

It may be worth getting a handful done to judge whether you are happy with the quality. If you aren't, then it might be time to buy a scanner.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby chrisk on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks guys. You've been a great help.

Im going to count the strips then ask for a quote first to get an idea on how much it will cost to get someone else to do the work the work from there.

You're also right about quality of negs, some are pretty old. But kept in a closed storage box at least so should be dust free.
chrisk

Postby chrisk on Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:48 pm

So the going rate seems to be $1.80-$2.40 PER PHOTO !
If I have 1,000 pics it's gonna be around $2000. Epsom v700 is looking pretty damn good now. lol
chrisk

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging