Canon PC Connection

If you're a user of a Canon DSLR, then welcome. This is your home.

Moderators: gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon PC Connection

Postby Wocka on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:30 pm

Gidday,

After using my USB 1.1 card reader for the last 5 months, it's starting to piss me off a little transferring 1GB of RAW files to my computer (17+ minutes).

I just tried the Canon USB cable (a mate said it will transfer at USB 2) and installed the WIA driver (even checked the Canon website for the latest version) and connected the 350D to the laptop.

XP found the camera fine, but my issue is there are no files to copy from the camera to the laptop. I can see the folder structure on the card but no pictures.

I did a little test as all files are in RAW. So I shot 3 test .jpg images, plugged the camera back into the laptop and now I can see 3 .jpg files only.

I have the MS RAW viewer on my laptop so I can view RAW files. This seems more to be an issue with copying RAW files to the computer vua the supplied USB cable.

I did a quick google search, but didn't find anything that helped.

Has anyone else had this issue, or found a solution?

Cheers
Warwick
=======
Canon 40D : 350D
Canon 18-55mm : Canon 75-300mm IS USM : Sigma 30mm EX HSM DC 1.4 : Sigma 10-20mm
Wocka

Postby Big V on Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:03 pm

Wocka, first off forget the cable from the camera as it rarely operates at usb 2. I take the card out of the camera and place it in my inbuilt card reader...wooosh done. I shoot in raw and you have to grab the files plus the thm file as well - I normally click on my computer, open the card, open the dcim folder 411 etc and select all, cut and paste into a folder that I have created...easy and you get everything. This way is much faster than any of the other methods. I have been doing this for over a year and have transferred over 40,000 pics
Canon
Big V

Postby petal666 on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:05 pm

You can get USB2 card readers for something like $20 (roughly). I've never connected my 20D to my computer.
Canon 1D III
petal666

Return to Canon Corral