R1C1 close-up system

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

R1C1 close-up system

Postby tommyg on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:05 pm

We currently have 2 SB-900s, and looking for options for using these in tandem better.

Does anybody have any experience with this system? Or, other alternatives?

Any thoughts appreciated
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Re: R1C1 close-up system

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm

I am wary of the R1C1 system. While I am sure it works very well, it uses CR123A (3V) lithium batteries.. This means your battery bill will be high if you use it much

I look at it now and again & shy away for this reason. If SB200s only used AA or AAA instead!

With 2x SB900 you have three speediltes (The PUP as well!) this should cover most situations. I would add another SB900 or 800 if you can get one.

I use 2x SB800, 1x SB900 plus the PUP at need (and a couple of SC29s & some light modifiers), & rarely want for more. Most times when I do, I wish I had studio lights instead.

If it is for macros, all the photos in this thread were taken with some or all of the above lights.

EDIT: Corrected Battery reference
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby ATJ on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 am

Alternatively, you could just use a single SB-900 and a soft box for macro photography. That's all I use and I have a bunch of different softboxes to choose from depending on the situation and/or lens in use.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:40 am

I believe that Chris (sirhc55) has one, and will no doubt add his expertise to this thread in due course.

You could also look towards using one of Poon's ring flash adapters. They attach to the SB800/900 etc head, and reflect the light down into a ring that sits around your lens. They come in a variety of models depending upon your camera and flash combination. This is due to different flash and camera body sizes.

These work well and are quite affordable, but are a little front heavy.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:45 pm

depends what you're shooting. for moving bugs i find it absolutely brilliant. the control over light position is unparalleled. the batteries is a minor issue. i bought a shitload off ebay pretty cheap and they last a considerable amount of time so for me, its not a big deal. obviously it would be alot easier though if they worked on AAA's.

i also use the sbr200's quite often for little fill lights and cool colour effects on other portrait shoots.

keep in mind that if you have a sb900 already you dont need the r1c1, just the r1 kit is fine. (th only diff is that you get an su800 with the r1c1), put the extra money into 2 more sbr200's cos imo, i dont think 2xsbr200's is enough.

these are some of my shots with the R1
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=R1&w=10435080%40N00
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby tommyg on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Looking mainly at using something for portrait type of photos, with some macro and close-up stuff in there.

So this type of thing looks good for portability etc

Thanks for the comments
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
tommyg

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:48 pm

for portraits I think there are better options mate. Imo its primarily a macro setup with some portrait "fill "when you want to get creative.
chrisk

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Rooz wrote:keep in mind that if you have a sb900 already you dont need the r1c1, just the r1 kit is fine.

Hey Rooz,
My understanding is that the SU 800 has greater range & the preflashes are invisible. Is this not the case in real life?

Nikon SU800 wrote:Transmission mode :Infrared-pulse emitting communication using a flash discharge tube
Transmission range :Approx. 20m (66 ft.) for SB-800/SB-600, Approx. 4m (13 ft.) for SB-R200 at normal settings

as opposed to
Nikon SB900 wrote:The effective shooting distance between master and remotes is approx 10m(33Ft) and approx 7m(23ft) at the sides

and
Nikon SB800 wrote:The effective shooting distance between master and remotes is 7m(23ft) or less
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:47 pm

tommyg wrote:We currently have 2 SB-900s, and looking for options for using these in tandem better.

Does anybody have any experience with this system? Or, other alternatives?

Any thoughts appreciated

A friend uses the SU800 with multiple SB's, even on D700s, because he finds it easier to use when shooting time sensitive portraits (weddings, or kids etc). It is quicker to modify your settings than an SB800 or 900 or the pop up. It is an expense though, so what kind of portraits do you shoot? if they are set shots, then you may want to spend the money on stands and umbrellas for your current SBs.

Do you shoot manual, or TTL? If you use your SB900s in manual mode, then perhaps consider wireless / radio triggers for more range and accurate triggering (they dont rely on line of sight, nor IR bounce to trigger, handy if triggerring through walls and around solid objects. Also I have heard that the nikon CLS may be a little weak outdoors.

When you say "use the two in tandem better" what do you mean?

I have a flash braket from manfrotto that is a "macro" bracket, but it great for party portability of two speedlights. Have them point inward and you can get a nice portrait light with main and fill. Alternatively, use it to locate one speed light well above the lens, and another well below, and setup a nice clam shell. link to is
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551443-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_330B_330B_Macro_Flash_Bracket.html

here is an example used for macro, but you can adjust it for papparazzi etc.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/muzzlehatch/582412490/in/set-72157600420944039/

I think this would be one of the cheaper and more reliable options. Add a nikon corded if you dont want to you the popup, or SU800.
Oz_Beachside

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:
Rooz wrote:keep in mind that if you have a sb900 already you dont need the r1c1, just the r1 kit is fine.

Hey Rooz,
My understanding is that the SU 800 has greater range & the preflashes are invisible. Is this not the case in real life?

Nikon SU800 wrote:Transmission mode :Infrared-pulse emitting communication using a flash discharge tube
Transmission range :Approx. 20m (66 ft.) for SB-800/SB-600, Approx. 4m (13 ft.) for SB-R200 at normal settings

as opposed to
Nikon SB900 wrote:The effective shooting distance between master and remotes is approx 10m(33Ft) and approx 7m(23ft) at the sides

and
Nikon SB800 wrote:The effective shooting distance between master and remotes is 7m(23ft) or less

yes, you make a very good point. its not the range thats the issue cos the beauty of the R1 system is that the flashes are mounted on the lens. but the preflash thing is a pretty big deal for skittish little critters.
chrisk

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm

:ot: We're getting a little off topic, but it probably all goes to the OP making up his mind, (But jump in if you want us to move to another thread.

Rooz,
At the moment I have 2xSB800 @& 1x SB900. Also a couple of cables - SC-xx. I prefer to get the flash off camera, & that means I either use the PUP as master which is workable, but a pain. Unless I am photographing shiny things as the PUP shows up as a reflection even on "No Master Flash" - then it's unworkable unless I drop an IR filter in front of it. I also lose one channel of remotes. Or I use the SB900 as master at the end of one or both cables, daisy-chained. But that limits one flash to only a metre or so off camera. Usually OK, but not always. The SB900 is always master as the controls are just so good.

I keep looking at the R1C1 to get the SU800. That gets all my existing lights well off camera which opens up a world of new possibilities. It also adds a couple of SB200s which, as you have noted, would make great accent lights. I don't mind the funny batteries in the SU800 as they are good for 1200 or so uses & Lithium batteries have a GREAT shelf life. The same batteries in the SB200s are another issue entirely. Only 200 pops or so & I'll bet that's not full power pops. This will get expensive quickly. I also object to the environmental issues, both resource & disposal.

While my range requirements are generally not huge as I mostly use flash indoors, a bit more never goes astray - sometimes indoors means a large workshop - but I like the CLS system too much to go to Pocket Wizards & I don't need their insane range anyway. I also keep looking at the Radio Poppers, but it appears they are NEVER going to lose their vapour-ware status. In this country anyway.

I also do a little Macro photography & see that the R1xx system is perfect (well nearly !) for that. But it is not nor is it ever likely to be, the main focus of my photography.

I could forgo the SB200s & just get the SU-800, but then I lose their macro friendliness. That mushroom I referenced earlier would have been much easier if I didn't need about 12 hands to get it (the first shots - the later indoors ones were no problem)

This is the detail thinking behind my original post. If you see flaws or other ideas, let me know
Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:07 pm

all makes sense to me. couple of points...

if getting your flash offcam/ cordless outdoors is something you want then the su800 is going to throw all sorts of challenges at you. it can get to the point that you want to throw the thing off a cliff. if this is a priority, then get some cybersyncs for off cam flash. 100% reliable and relatively cheap, no TTL of course.

RE: batteries on the sbr's. yes true if you fire them at 1/1 then you;re gonna burn batteries like no tomorrow. for me, i'd RARELY be using them at over 1/4 so for my style of shooting i dont have an issue.

if you;re thinking about buying the su800 but arent sure if it suits you then let me know and i'll loan you mine for a while.
chrisk

Postby tommyg on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Thanks for all of the replies, I think I am definitely going to try and find a set to have a play with before going out and buying one.

Rooz, if needed - can you hang the SB900 off of the ring?
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
tommyg

Postby chrisk on Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:17 pm

tommyg wrote:Thanks for all of the replies, I think I am definitely going to try and find a set to have a play with before going out and buying one.

Rooz, if needed - can you hang the SB900 off of the ring?

no. the track on the ring is specifically made for the sbr200.
chrisk

Return to Nikon