300 2.8 AFS advice

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

300 2.8 AFS advice

Postby Sylvia on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Howdi all,
I am thinking of selling my AF-S 300 2.8 MKI and getting lens with a little more reach.
It is a 9 out of 10 in condition and comes complete as from Nikon including carry case, hood, filter holder, strap, manual and original card-board box.

The body and glass is pristine, no dust or fungus.

It is a stellar example of this lens and is wicked sharp and fast.

My question is what price should I ask for it? Any ideas.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Re: 300 2.8 AFS advice

Postby tommyg on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:38 pm

Don't know what price... but if ya let me know what price you decide to try for - let me know :)
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Postby surenj on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Strange question Sylvia from a person (? professional) who owns top notch stuff.

Most people would not have even considered this lens!

I reckon this would have an awesome second hand value. I would find the cheapest gray price (shopbot.com.au) and subtract 5% from that and see whether someone will bite.? :mrgreen:

Would the store give you a trade-in type of deal on your 400 or 600mm lens? Worth a try.
surenj

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:24 am

Dumb question, but have you considered the new 2x converter (Mk3). It is supposed to retain pretty exceptional image quality. A lot cheaper than a new lens.

EDIT:
check out this review: http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/tc_series3.html
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Sylvia on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:42 am

surenj wrote:Strange question Sylvia from a person (? professional) who owns top notch stuff.

Most people would not have even considered this lens!

I reckon this would have an awesome second hand value. I would find the cheapest gray price (shopbot.com.au) and subtract 5% from that and see whether someone will bite.? :mrgreen:

Would the store give you a trade-in type of deal on your 400 or 600mm lens? Worth a try.

Hi Surenj,
Strange question? I thought it was well constructed and informative enough for most people who know this lens to comprehend and comment on.
I don't understand "most people would not have even considered this lens". As in what it is or what it does or what?
I am looking at the 500 not 400 or 600.
The store I will buy from is in the US so no trade.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby Sylvia on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Dumb question, but have you considered the new 2x converter (Mk3). It is supposed to retain pretty exceptional image quality. A lot cheaper than a new lens.

EDIT:
check out this review: http://www.naturalart.ca/artist/fieldtests/tc_series3.html

Howdi Mr Darcy,
Not a dumb question at all. Yes I have tried a MKIII and was less than impressed.
It just softens too much for me, but I am anal about sharpness. The 1.4 is stellar and as good as naked, the 1.7 is also very good. There does seem to be some sample variations with some TC's so I may have had a bad copy. I prefer not using them however.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby biggerry on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 am

now if I was buying it, I would go half what u paid for it :rotfl2: :rotfl2: but dont put it up here 'cause I don't need to lust over another lens :rotfl2:

Seriously though, when I look at second hand lens they need to be a pretty good price, not just a couple of hundred off the new price from HK supplies or DD, for a few hundred dollars it is a better deal to get the legit warranty.

If you need pricing advice, I would just talk to the guys at ECS (http://www.cameras.net.au/) they sell secondhand stuff for people all the time and are respected for it, they should be able to give you a ballpark to work with.

hth
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Sylvia on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:58 pm

biggerry wrote:now if I was buying it, I would go half what u paid for it :rotfl2: :rotfl2: but dont put it up here 'cause I don't need to lust over another lens :rotfl2:

Seriously though, when I look at second hand lens they need to be a pretty good price, not just a couple of hundred off the new price from HK supplies or DD, for a few hundred dollars it is a better deal to get the legit warranty.

If you need pricing advice, I would just talk to the guys at ECS (http://www.cameras.net.au/) they sell secondhand stuff for people all the time and are respected for it, they should be able to give you a ballpark to work with.

hth

Howdi biggery,
It is not that simple, hence my post. This lens is 10 years old so it cannot be compared to a current model VRII. Optically I think it is better but that again this is just my opinion. Does anyone here have one that can comment? I am thinking around $4.5
I'll try ecs for an opinion, thanks.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby biggerry on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:09 pm

$4.5

done I'll buy it :shock: oh I assume you mean S4.5K :D

I'll try ecs for an opinion, thanks.

definitely would be my first port of call, good luck with it. :up:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Sylvia wrote:I don't understand "most people would not have even considered this lens". As in what it is or what it does or what?

What I meant to say was that you would be a better judge (as a professional and also in the case of a professional/expensive lens) rather than most of us who are amateurs. :cheers:

I think Rooz may have owned and sold one recently. [He doesn't hang out much anymore; prolly has the baby blues]

I think Gerry's suggestion would be the best to ask a retailer and add a few hundreds to their price?

Also you can try and get an expression of interest thread within the forum? :wink:
surenj

Postby radar on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:24 pm

Another place to look at is:
http://www.keh.com/

They have a lot of second-hand gear. The one 300mm they have is in like-new condition and they have a price of $4.8K USD, so the price you are thinking of is probably not far off the mark.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby tommyg on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:11 am

radar wrote:Another place to look at is:
http://www.keh.com/

They have a lot of second-hand gear. The one 300mm they have is in like-new condition and they have a price of $4.8K USD, so the price you are thinking of is probably not far off the mark.

cheers,

André

They list some there that are 300 2.8 AF-S, but doesnt say VR from between $2,500 and $4,000 - are these a similar lens but pre VR?

Cheers
Tom
Tom
Red Bubble
TLC Photography
Nikon D810, D700, D90 (IR)
tommyg

Return to Nikon