One for the techies - old flash

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

One for the techies - old flash

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:15 pm

I have a flash, about 10 years old. Its a Pentax mount Sigma EF-500 ST (NOT the more current EF-500 DG ST). Its serial number is 2010688. I dont have the manual, but its settings are very basic, TTL, Mh (manual high) or Ml (manual low).

I would like to use it as another light source, with my nikon gear, SB600, bowens pulsar triggers, or studio lights.

My ideal objective would be to use it triggered via light, or secondly via wire. Where the trigger source is either a studio light, an SB600, a D200 onboard light, or via bowens pulsar triggers.

However, I wouldnt know;
1. where to get a datasheet?
2. could I connect this to a bowens pulsar trigger via hotshot to lead (as I can from my SB600, through a little "Hama" hotshoe to wire" thingo I have)? (dont know synch voltages etc).
3. Would it be possible to fire through its "cell" from other studio flash, or an SB600?
4. are there any risks associated with what I'm thinking??

Sure, trial and error may solve some, but will not be worth if if something blows...

I'm not electrically/electronically illiterate (piece of paper on the wall says I'm an "Honorary" Electrical Engineer), but dont like taking a "plug and play" approach knowing that if they are not safely compatible, it will cost more than it will save me... (ie, a radio trigger is similar cost to an SB600).

Any elec or instrument techs in here who know the details???

cheers and regards,
Oz
Oz_Beachside

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:13 pm

Check out strobe voltages here.
If its not listed let them know when you find out...

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

An old fashioned flash remote trigger shoud work fine. Mine has a light sensor, a resistor & a couple of capacitors (or is one a transistor - I don't have my specs with me - in it, Any thing else check out the voltage first.

You won't be able to mix smart wireless and it though. Everything will have to be manual as the pre-flashes will trigger the strobe.

Greg
Mr Darcy

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:54 pm

thanks for that. I see that mine is in the same voltage territory as new nikon, so should be safe.

Wondering, if anyone knows if I can fire it from the photocell, triggering from another flash as the source?

Any ideas where I can get the tech data on this puppy?
Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Oz_Beachside

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:40 pm

managed to get it to work (all manual of course).

Still flying without the specs. When I fire using the radio slaves, the flash gives me two flashes, with a noticable delay between them. Also, the effective synch (max shutter) was about 1/125s, or 1/200 (not 1/250s).

Anyway, looking for tips on how to eliminate "pre-flash" from Sigma flash when using radio triggers because this would trigger my other flashes running on "cell" triggers.

set up looks like this...

Oz_Beachside

Return to Other