Tripod advice for newbie

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tripod advice for newbie

Postby stubbsy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:11 pm

Well I've read and read and read and am ready to spend the (big) bucks on my first tripod and head. Problem is I've probably read too much.

I have D70 +AF-S 18-70ED + AF 70-300 G. I principally take landscape shots and may do panoramas down the track once I get to know the camera better. May also get a wider angle lens when I can afford it (probably the Sigma 12-?? from birddog)

I think what will be best is a carbon fibre (weight is an issue - too heavy and I'll get sick of lugging it around) so I'm leaning towards one of the Gitzos (1325 or 2227LVL) although I think Manfrotto do CF too.

Finally - my question. I'm a newbie and need guru advice!

For my needs are these Gitzos both good choices, is there something better

Heads I have no idea - what's good (RSS, Markins, ??)

Is there something else I need eg QR plate. My upper limit for everyting is $1K (1/2 what the camera cost - geez :shock: )

Please be gentle

TIA

Stubbsy
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:41 pm

Stubbsy, you cant go wrong with either of those, in fact they are an overkill for the lenses involved (you could get by with a 1227) but you sound like you are from the do it once right brigade. I have the 1348 coming and Flyer has the 2227. Birddog has the 1325 and would be best to advise on heads. Either of your choices would be excellent. Your biggest concern with those great tripods will be the light weight of the 70-300, which allows it to vibrate a bit on a tripod. Throw a towel over the lens barrell if you are going for ultimate quality in a shot. With those tripods you will probably upgrade that lens at some point
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:13 pm

I would strongly recommend getting one that has three legs; those with less tend towards being less stable. :)

Seriously, do you consider the 70-300 as a permanent part of your arsenal, or just a stepping stone to something sharper, heavier, and bigger?

Think in terms of the sort of photography you want to do, and the lenses needed to accomplish that photography. Consider the maximum weight and size of those lenses, and use that as an indicator as to the capacity of the tripod you need.

Sometimes there's a good case to be made for acquiring mor ethan one tripod; I have a tabletop Manfrotto that, quite surprisingly, doesn't do to bad a job of holding the D70 + the 80-400 (we have to try it with the 200-400 at some stage). This is a very nice little tripod that you can fit into your pocket.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you get one as a primary set of legs, but simply pointing out that while the "best available" choice should be your first priority, there may be a satisfactory alternative approach that can get you out of trouble too.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby skippy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:28 pm

You're right, my monopod is a little unstable when you let go of it. :)

Reckon that TT Manfrotto would hold the Bigma? It's a 2kg beast, but has the mount point fairly well balanced on the lens, depending on amount of zoom I use. I have a cheapie tripod that the Bigma is too much for - you can see the head flexing under the weight :shock:

What are the Gitzos worth? I have my eye on the G1228LVL.
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby stubbsy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:37 pm

Glen

Yes - do it once brigade is where I'm at (reading convinced me of that). Thanks for towel tip.

Gary
Seriously, do you consider the 70-300 as a permanent part of your arsenal, or just a stepping stone to something sharper, heavier, and bigger?

Down the track I'm lusting over a 80-400 VR and I figure the tripods I mention will be OK with this. Please correct me if I'm off the mark.

TT Manfrotto sounds a good idea (I figure I could also use this as a chest brace for hand held?) - are you talking the 209 or the 709?

Cheers

Stubbsy
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:40 pm

werble wrote:Reckon that TT Manfrotto would hold the Bigma? It's a 2kg beast, but has the mount point fairly well balanced on the lens

One way to find out. The 80-400 is a around 1.3kg, and the tt was surpsingly stable.

What are the Gitzos worth? I have my eye on the G1228LVL.

I was on abus the other and had my on a seat when somebody sat on it. Ouch!

:(
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:05 pm

stubbsy
I can help you here with only Gitzo tripod, cos I don't have the Man.
The ones you're after should be:
- the G1227LVL cost AU$799.00 (Method II) or $878.90 (Method 1)
- I have the G1325 AU$750.00 (Method II) or AU$825.00 (Method 1)
- I also have the Gitzo1227G without LVL
the 1325 is more heavy than the 1227LVL, though the G1227LVL can handle any lens up to 400mm without any vibration and it's very sturdy, they are all CF.
Not only the tripod to look at, there're many other items need to lust for integration with the tripod as Ballhead, L bracket, lens foot with dove tail etc...
Your budget around 1K is just for the tripod solely, ballhead, L brackets and other bit & pieces will set you another 1K, so 2K is your new budget if you would like to achieve a good system and last you for many years to come.
Even the Bigma, if you have proper lens foot, ballhead and tripod, it will produces lot of stunning images.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:27 pm

so 2K is your new budget if you would like to achieve a good system and last you for many years to come

Birddog you're bad for me :!:

I'm tipping towards the G1227LVL because of the tilt levelling, but I know you're a fan of the 1325. Is the titltable nature of the 1227 not as big a feature as it sounds as the 1325 at a little less can hold 50% more weight (I'm a programmer so I get hung up on figures like this!)

Finally - what heads would you recommend given there's a strong chance I'll want an L bracket for portrait pano shots later
stubbsy

Postby skippy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:47 pm

gstark wrote:I was on abus the other and had my on a seat when somebody sat on it. Ouch!

:(

Was that ouch on behalf of the person who sat on it, or because it broke? :cry: Tell me it didn't break :shock:
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby birddog114 on Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:53 pm

stubbsy wrote:I'm tipping towards the G1227LVL because of the tilt levelling, but I know you're a fan of the 1325. Is the titltable nature of the 1227 not as big a feature as it sounds as the 1325 at a little less can hold 50% more weight (I'm a programmer so I get hung up on figures like this!)

Finally - what heads would you recommend given there's a strong chance I'll want an L bracket for portrait pano shots later

The G1325 serve you with a difference purpose than the G1227LVL. With the lenses you have the G1227LVL will do the job for you or if you step up to the 70-200VR or the 80-400 the G1227LVL is more than enough for your needs.

Ballheads are with so many, we have few threads in our forum discusion about it, it's also depend on what you needs and your budget.
You need to access, eval some of those gears and see how they're working or your liking.

other thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=11245666
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:04 pm

I spent last night in my workshop. I am inventing a VR monopod. Yep! You read it right. Light as a feather but stable as a good Catholic. Now...where did I put that old gyro? 8) 8) 8) 8)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Greg B on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Matt. K wrote:I spent last night in my workshop. I am inventing a VR monopod. Yep! You read it right. Light as a feather but stable as a good Catholic. Now...where did I put that old gyro? 8) 8) 8) 8)

The temptation is tantalizing.....
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:23 pm

stubbsy, the tilt feature means on uneven surfaces you can be level a little quicker, whereas on the 1325 you would adjust leg length. The 1325 has no centre column, which makes it more stable and listening to the experts around here they recommend against using them. I went through exactly your choice, but for the four section units instead of three.

Two ballheads you may want to look at are http://www.acratech.net or http://www.markins.com. Birddog has both, why dont you come down to the next meet and look at both?

Also as an aside Gitzo is bringing out a new smaller folding tripod (do a search under gitzo and travelling) which like Gary's suggestion of two units I will use as a very transportable unit, and use the 13 series as my big heavy duty unit. That is why I went for a 13 series
Glen

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:23 pm

Greg B wrote:
Matt. K wrote:I spent last night in my workshop. I am inventing a VR monopod. Yep! You read it right. Light as a feather but stable as a good Catholic. Now...where did I put that old gyro? 8) 8) 8) 8)

The temptation is tantalizing.....

You must be that very rare specimen that Matt referred to, talking about temptation and all ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:23 pm

Glen

Two ballheads you may want to look at are http://www.acratech.net or http://www.markins.com. Birddog has both, why dont you come down to the next meet and look at both?

Glen thanks for your advice. Newcastle to Sydney is easy - my fear of looking an idiot stops me from coming down since I really know so little (I only got my first camera 3 years ago - a Kodak DC4800) so when it comes to photography all I know is I can (sometimes) take decent or interesting photos and enjoy doing it.

I am doing a "beginners" photography course in January (wouldn't know an fstop if I fell over one)

Maybe after that I'll be brave :oops:

Stubbsy
stubbsy

Postby skippy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:42 pm

stubbsy wrote:Newcastle to Sydney is easy - my fear of looking an idiot stops me from coming down since I really know so little (I only got my first camera 3 years ago - a Kodak DC4800) so when it comes to photography all I know is I can (sometimes) take decent or interesting photos and enjoy doing it.
Stubbsy

Good, there's another one! Come along anyway stubbsy, we can be ignorant together!
skippy

Postby Glen on Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:01 pm

Stubbsy, just come along, no one judges here (if they did I would be in trouble!). You will have a ball and learn heaps, I sure am from everyone here.
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:02 pm

Gee guys you make it sound so accomodating I might even come.

So how do I know when the next meet is.

Stubbsy PS I assume I make sure I go WITHOUT my wallet?
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:39 pm

Stubbsy, you will see a notice plastered somewhere, check under Sydney
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Just found this excellent article on tripods at Nikonians:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/jrp_faq/what_tripod/tripods_1.html
Cheers
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:09 pm

Great article Stubbsy, well found. You will see most of the Gitzo range tomorrow (every time I go to Birddogs he seems to have another one, maybe 4 at last count + monopod). Also will see the Manfrotto range
Glen

Postby Killakoala on Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:09 pm

fear of looking an idiot stops me from coming down since I really know so little

Stubbsy, we must be related or something :)
Seriously, please come and join us, you will find it worthwhile and rewarding and we are nice people.

I will bring my Manfrotto 055PROB for you to have a look at including RRS pano head for future reference....
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Killakoala wrote:
I will bring my Manfrotto 055PROB for you to have a look at including RRS pano head for future reference....

I will be interested in all the tripods tomorrow as i really need to purchase one. I can't keep borrowing my old mans all the time.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Return to Information