Photoshop 7 question

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photoshop 7 question

Postby W00DY on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:35 pm

Hi All,

Is there any way I can apply the "save for web" featuer to all images in a file?

I need to post 500 images to the web (from my sisters wedding) so I want to reduce them as much as possible.

Otherwise can I do this with Nikon View?

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:40 pm

I'm working from memory here...most unreliable...as I now use Photoshop CS. But try FILE/AUTOMATE/save for web.
Set up a couple of dummy folders and put 2 images into one of them and see if it works for you. Don't try it on your original folders in case something goes wrong.

Also, Nikon View will resize them for email as a batch. Edit/Select all/TOOLS/email

Hope this helps
Last edited by Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby W00DY on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:44 pm

Matt. K wrote:I'm working from memory here...most unreliable...as I now use Photoshop CS. But try FILE/AUTOMATE/save for web.
Set up a couple of dummy folders and put 2 images into one of them and see if it works for you. Don't try it on your original folders in case something goes wrong.

Thanks Matt but Looks like your memory is fading :)

There is no save for web in the FILE/Automate option. I have been through the other options there and can't find any to save files ( You can apply an action though, does this help?)

I'll keep looking if no-one elase can suggest a better idea?

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Re: Photoshop 7 question

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:44 pm

W00DY wrote:Hi All,

Is there any way I can apply the "save for web" featuer to all images in a file?

I need to post 500 images to the web (from my sisters wedding) so I want to reduce them as much as possible.

Otherwise can I do this with Nikon View?

Cheers,

W00DY

A Pro-shooter should u/g to PSCS now! Yes you can, Matt.K showed you the way.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Nnnnsic on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:50 pm

I'm a pro (maybe) and I can't stand CS.

Have you tried File > Automate > Web Gallery

Just choose a destination for it and when it's done with the images or folder of image, go into that folder and rip the images out. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby christiand on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:53 pm

Please excuse that I haven't verified for myself.
There is an action function in Photoshop and that will let you record a macro. I haven't tried for myself but have a look at that.
It may allow you to batch process as you want to.

Cheers
CD
christiand

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:56 pm

OK! Let's set up an action! Open 1 image. Go to actions/new action. Give the action a useful name...ie, save for web. Click the record button at the bottm of the Action menu. Go to IMAGE/IMAGE SIZE and alter the size and resolution to your requirements/ go to file/save...and save the image in a new folder that you have created for holding the resized images. Stop recording by hitting the appropriate button bottom of the Action menu.
Now go to FILE/AUTOMATE/BATCH...select your action and select the appropriate folders. Set up a trial with 2 or 3 images just to make sure it works before you commit the action to your folder of 500.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you hit any snags and I'll try and get you over them.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby W00DY on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:02 pm

Matt. K wrote:OK! Let's set up an action! Open 1 image. Go to actions/new action. Give the action a useful name...ie, save for web. Click the record button at the bottm of the Action menu. Go to IMAGE/IMAGE SIZE and alter the size and resolution to your requirements/ go to file/save...and save the image in a new folder that you have created for holding the resized images. Stop recording by hitting the appropriate button bottom of the Action menu.
Now go to FILE/AUTOMATE/BATCH...select your action and select the appropriate folders. Set up a trial with 2 or 3 images just to make sure it works before you commit the action to your folder of 500.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you hit any snags and I'll try and get you over them.

Your going to hate me but as you were typing this (I didn't know) I was figuring out how to setup an action myself :)

Well I worked it out and then applied it to the folder, all done :)

Thanks for all the replies and Birddog, once my work upgrades to CS so will I :)

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:05 pm

Woody
That's great news. Don't get too hung up on Photoshop CS. Version 7 is also great and it's what I use at work nearly everyday. I don't feel handicapped because of it. We'll have a chat about it next time we get together at a meet.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby christiand on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:31 pm

Cool,

good to know that it can be done.
Thanks Woody, thanks Matt.

Regards
CD
christiand

Batching stuff up...

Postby neurons on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:13 am

Once you've got the action you can also create a 'droplet' from it so you can drag and drop your files from explorer onto the droplet (if youre on a pc that is) and it will then perform the action on the files you've selected. :D
this will work in PS7 or less too.
neurons

Re: Batching stuff up...

Postby W00DY on Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:18 am

neurons wrote:Once you've got the action you can also create a 'droplet' from it so you can drag and drop your files from explorer onto the droplet (if youre on a pc that is) and it will then perform the action on the files you've selected. :D
this will work in PS7 or less too.

Hi Neurons,

By "droplet" are you referring to something inside Photoshop?

Do you have to have photoshop open to do this?

Cheers,

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:20 am

neurons is correct. PS creates a macro from your action and puts a little icon on your desktop. You can drag 1 or more images onto the icon and the action will automatically perform. Cool!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Return to Tips and tricks