flying with monoblocs (international)

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

flying with monoblocs (international)

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any tips / advise on flying with studio lights?

I have been considering using SB800s, but the list of shoots we need to get through, and some in dark buildings in Europe etc, I want to take my Bowens Travel Pack.

Minimum, I want to take 2 light weight stands, two heads (preferably three), softboxes, and umbrellas, and the battery pack.

I can fit all of this in a pelican case, but looking for any advise? I was thinking to put the stands, umbrellas/softboxes, and cables in my suitcase, and just get a case for the heads and battery.

Can I fly with the battery pack? (the bowens "travel pack")?

I assume I will pay a premium baggage through Tokyo-London-Toulouse-HongKong?
Oz_Beachside

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:42 pm

Why not hire when and if required :!: :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 pm

sirhc55 wrote:Why not hire when and if required :!: :wink:

Cost of time. Fly in, rest, hair, make up, shoot, fly out.

I looked at this, through say calumetphoto, and rates are good, but time, time is the killer, also if the store doesnt have it (even if I book it), the shoot could be lost.
Oz_Beachside

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 pm

The shoots you are making must have been organised in the countries you are visiting by someone. Maybe the representatives could organise lighting to your requirements. I only say this because the cost of transportation could be prohibitive and there could be a problem with the airlines concerning the batteries. . .
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:59 pm

sirhc55 wrote:The shoots you are making must have been organised in the countries you are visiting by someone. Maybe the representatives could organise lighting to your requirements. I only say this because the cost of transportation could be prohibitive and there could be a problem with the airlines concerning the batteries. . .

Agree, but these are my shoots, my problems... :cry:

I assume the excess baggage will be similar to a 500ws light kit, but I still need to get them around.

I think some batteries are ok, but not "wet cell". Dont know what type my bowens travel pack is??
Oz_Beachside

Re: flying with monoblocs (international)

Postby digitor on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:59 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:Hello,

Wondering if anyone has any tips / advise on flying with studio lights?

I have been considering using SB800s, but the list of shoots we need to get through, and some in dark buildings in Europe etc, I want to take my Bowens Travel Pack.

Minimum, I want to take 2 light weight stands, two heads (preferably three), softboxes, and umbrellas, and the battery pack.

I can fit all of this in a pelican case, but looking for any advise? I was thinking to put the stands, umbrellas/softboxes, and cables in my suitcase, and just get a case for the heads and battery.

Can I fly with the battery pack? (the bowens "travel pack")?

I assume I will pay a premium baggage through Tokyo-London-Toulouse-HongKong?

The only answer to this question that matters, will come from the airline you are flying with - make sure you have the technical details of the battery when you ask.

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Oz_Beachside on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:13 pm

any tips on which Pelican will take 2-3 heads? Pick-n-pluck foam I assume?
Oz_Beachside

Postby firsty on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 pm

why not pack them up and airfreight them over a week in advance then you only have the one know cost each way and you won't be surprised and you have time to negotiate a good price before you start
(I say a week to allow time to make sure they are through customs be for you get there)
if you don't have a contact to pick them up get them held at the shippers depot and collect them yourself
with a company like TNT you can track your consignment every step of the way on the net so you will know when it has arrived and when it is cleared by customs etc.
firsty

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:21 pm

firsty wrote:why not pack them up and airfreight them over a week in advance then you only have the one know cost each way and you won't be surprised and you have time to negotiate a good price before you start
(I say a week to allow time to make sure they are through customs be for you get there)
if you don't have a contact to pick them up get them held at the shippers depot and collect them yourself
with a company like TNT you can track your consignment every step of the way on the net so you will know when it has arrived and when it is cleared by customs etc.

Thanks Keith, but this is a carry with me exercise, as its a multidestination shoots, back to back, Tokyo, London, Toulouse, Hong Kong...

I would love to know someone who has carried them with, and how they went... :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby wendellt on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:12 pm

London to toulouse is considered a domestic flight not international

therefore airlines offer 1 piece of check in luggage(either your clothing suitcase or you pelican case)

otherwise you will have to pay a excess baggage fee

also in london they have strict hanf carry luggage rules
like 1 piece of hand luggage and laptops don't count as a 2nd piece
so you have to travel light

seems like an amazing trip what exactly are you doing?

in rome i saw a film crew with multiple pelican cases they had so much paper work to fill out before they were let on looked like a real drama, even though they told me it was all pre-organised and taken care of
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Oz_Beachside on Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 pm

CHanged plans to use SB800s (taking 3, and an SB600). Some stands, with umbrella brackets, and umbrellas. Maybe a softbox also.

Additional luggage added about $1500 to the trip, so out of budget, and half that paid for the additional SB's.
Oz_Beachside

Postby Matt. K on Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:51 pm

SB800s handled with care will produce the results. Bon voyage!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Tips and tricks