Ornithologists Quiz- Guess what bird?

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Ornithologists Quiz- Guess what bird?

Postby marcotrov on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:30 pm

Hi all 4 clues for you. Awoke this morning to continue my labour around the new pool and I heard a sharp high double not warble(1st clue) coming from about 5-10 metres up somewhere in my row of foxtale palms. Upon close scrutiny I saw a darting little (2nd clue) black and red shape swallow like bird moving briskly in and out the palm fronds. I quickly grabbed the trusty D70 fitted the 80-400VR and my SB600 for fill. This is what I captured in a handheld grab shot, not that sharp but the oppoirtunity had to be taken. They don't like hanging around for long. Any guesses? (nest style and subject 3rd and 4th clues). Prize for first correct - My admiration for an ornithological giant. :lol:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Nicole on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:57 pm

The clues definitely give it away. It's a Mistletoebird. I've seen these guys once before and they do move around quick. Cool shot for a grab shot. If you had more time would have toned down the exposure and given it a bit more fill flash to prevent the bright background.

You must get some pretty nice birds around your place. I hope to get up that way some time later next year.
Nicole
Web Site
Nicole

Postby marcotrov on Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:05 pm

Smack on Nicole. Yor dead right too with exposure advice. I'm actually trying to do just that right nw but the nest is really well hidden and up high. For a little bird it has a HUGE voice. :)
Thanks for the comment. I'll keep trying.
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas