Wolf Nikkor 80-400vr

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Wolf Nikkor 80-400vr

Postby KerryPierce on Thu May 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Nikon D70 ,Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR AF
1/125s f/5.6 at 400.0mm iso1600 hand held

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby Killakoala on Thu May 26, 2005 3:53 pm

Awesome pic of a ferocious animal. Unless of course it's someone's pet :)

Was this in the wild? He has a very interesting expression on his face. Kinda cute :) Reminds me a bit of the 'Last photograph i ever took' series :)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Hlop on Thu May 26, 2005 4:01 pm

Nice grin :)

Could you tell why ISO1600? If I'd shoot with ISO1600, it'd be plenty of noise but I don't see any on your picture. Any noise reduction?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby kipper on Thu May 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Hlop, give he shot at 1/125, F/5.6 and ISO1600, I'd take a stab and say the lighting sucked? :)

As for being a pet, given the way the hairs around the top of it's head are on end and it's ear positioning, I'd say that it's very on edge. Then again I could be wrong.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby BBJ on Thu May 26, 2005 6:06 pm

On edge or that bloody old he cant do jack,LOL But Kerry, great pic as usual and yes those iso get me as i have never tried using iso at this level before. Well done mate.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby mudder on Thu May 26, 2005 8:29 pm

Great nature shot Kerry, good eye contact, looks like a poor fella that's struggling...

Also ISO 1600, did you perform noise reduction on the background on a seperate layer in PS or something, the body of the wolf seems to show some colour noise (less than I would have expected at ISP1600 tho!) but not in the background? Or is it just me?
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby gstark on Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm

Hlop wrote:Nice grin :)

Could you tell why ISO1600? If I'd shoot with ISO1600, it'd be plenty of noise but I don't see any on your picture. Any noise reduction?

Mikhail,

If you're seeing lots of noise in your images, regardless of the ISO setting, then that's telling me that you're exposure hasn't been nailed. Play with your exposure settings a little more and see if it makes any difference.

Kerry, dontcha just love what that lens lets you get away with?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby KerryPierce on Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. :D

This fellow was in the National Zoo in Washington D.C. He'd been fighting with the other wolves in the pack and, of course, losing.

The high ISO was due to the lighting, which sucked. Many of the exhibits at that zoo were in deep shade. I lost a ton of photos due to motion blur because of that. It's been a long time since I edited this photo, so I don't recall the specifics. I just looked at the original and it doesn't look like I used a noise reduction util on the image. Dunno for sure, but I think that the higher you can keep your SS, the less noise you will see.

Gary: Yes, I do love this lens. It has spoiled me terribly. :D
KerryPierce

Postby mic on Fri May 27, 2005 12:00 am

Kerry, that Wolf has been stuffed :lol: :lol:

Nice pic.

Mic. :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby KerryPierce on Fri May 27, 2005 8:26 am

mic wrote:Kerry, that Wolf has been stuffed :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Mic. :D Yes indeed, that fellow had a very hard time of it. I had a nice chat with this SYT who was one of the wolf caretakers. She was quite upset with the turn of events and stated that she thought they'd gotten him separated from the rest of the pack just in time to save his life.

I have a number of rather dramatic, bloody, photos of him that I haven't put on line. I do have some others that are much less disturbing that I'll put up later.
KerryPierce

Postby mudder on Fri May 27, 2005 7:55 pm

Wild nature can be a very hard and cruel environment, the expression and mood of the image says it all...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby KerryPierce on Fri May 27, 2005 11:27 pm

Thanks for the comment, Andrew. :D
KerryPierce

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques