Birds with an oldie but a goodie

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Birds with an oldie but a goodie

Postby Glen on Wed May 25, 2005 9:04 pm

Just bought an AFS300 f4 from Birddy to use with my 1.7TC as my longer lens, so thought I should move on my Nikkor 400 5.6. Thought I better take a few shots so that when I put it on Ebay people can see what it is like. Heard some birds out the front yesterday so went out to take a shot or two, unfortunately they were only pigeons, but when I looked at the shots I checked my camera settings! These shots are not sharpened, only had auto contrast in Nikon editor applied then resized as jpgs. I thought my camera settings were no sharpening, turns out it was -2 (the next step up), but look at the detail, and boke, in these shots. more detail is available when I sharpen. Just proves that an old Nikkor can still be a goodie, and match it with the newer lenses.

Glen

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Wed May 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Welcome to the AFS 300F4 Club. You won't be disappointed. The 400 f5.6 is a very good performer. How much as you selling it for? You should keep it if you don't need the money yet. It will give you more reach the the 300F4. It can make a big difference in bird photo.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby kipper on Wed May 25, 2005 9:32 pm

Shush Arthur.....don't convince him not to part with it :)
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby fozzie on Thu May 26, 2005 2:15 pm

Glen,

Do you have any 'BIRD LIFE' shots with the AF-S 300mm f/4D IF-ED, and even with the TC-17EII on :?:

Cheers,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Thu May 26, 2005 2:32 pm

Fozzie, will grab a few and stick them here.
Glen

Postby Glen on Sun May 29, 2005 10:33 pm

Fozzie, just wanted to say I hadn't forgotten to take those shots for you, have had the flu over the last week so have been getting up late and missing the birds. Haven't really left home much or even stepped much out the front door, but feeling better now so hopefully get some shots for you in the next few days :D
Glen

Postby fozzie on Mon May 30, 2005 12:14 pm

Glen,

Glen wrote:Fozzie, just wanted to say I hadn't forgotten to take those shots for you, have had the flu over the last week so have been getting up late and missing the birds. Haven't really left home much or even stepped much out the front door, but feeling better now so hopefully get some shots for you in the next few days :D

Sorry to hear about the flu, get well soon :) .

Managed to get my own shot of a birdie, blast it wrong type:

Nikon 300mm f/4
1/640sec f/8 ISO200

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Glen on Mon May 30, 2005 12:36 pm

Fozzie, looks like that lens works well for you :wink: :D :D
Glen

Postby kipper on Mon May 30, 2005 1:25 pm

Lot of the guys on another forum I'm on are getting good results with Canon 300MM F/2.8 IS USM plus 2x TC. Not sure how a Nikon 300MM F/2.8 IF-ED (with and without VR) would fair up, be interesting to see if anybody has one.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi Kipper

Postby yeocsa on Mon May 30, 2005 1:38 pm

For birding, Canon has better offerings than Nikon. Not only the Canon bodies e.g. 1DS, 1D Mark II has as many as 45 AF sensors! Canon also has many long primes with IS. The 400 f5.6 is a hot favourite of flight shots. They have 500, 600 and 1200mm primes. The downside is that they are super expensive.

if you get 300 f2.8 + TC 2X, you are going to be satisfied for a while. After sometime, you will find that TC actually slows not only AF, lens speed is also slower, image quality degrades and you get camera shake due to TC being in the middle. 1 stop advantage can make a world of difference!

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Postby kipper on Mon May 30, 2005 2:10 pm

Yeah but with a TC at 2.8 that takes it to a 600MM F/5.6, which ain't too sloppy.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Hi

Postby yeocsa on Mon May 30, 2005 2:22 pm

Glen wrote:Fozzie, looks like that lens works well for you :wink: :D :D

No doubt. It is a very well balanced lens. Try it on tripod, you will be even more impressed by it.

regards,

Arthur
yeocsa

Re: Hi

Postby fozzie on Mon May 30, 2005 2:32 pm

Arthur,

yeocsa wrote:
Glen wrote:Fozzie, looks like that lens works well for you :wink: :D :D

No doubt. It is a very well balanced lens. Try it on tripod, you will be even more impressed by it.

regards,

Arthur

Yesterday I had it off and on the tripod, and it worked a treat either way :)

This coming weekend I will slip on the TC-17EII, and give it a thorough workout.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques