Candlelight portrait

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Candlelight portrait

Postby Hlop on Sat May 28, 2005 11:21 pm

D70, 50mm f/1.8, ISO1000, 1/20 handheld. 4 candles as light sources

Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby anubis on Sat May 28, 2005 11:26 pm

Love the shadows the candles cast....really good shot.
anubis

Postby big pix on Sat May 28, 2005 11:32 pm

nice image......... have you tried one with some color correction to see what it looks like, just a little so to retain the glow.......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby sirhc55 on Sat May 28, 2005 11:33 pm

Excellent Mikhail :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sat May 28, 2005 11:46 pm

Nice mikhail. A bit soft, probably due to low shutter and shallow DOF. It is a tad orange, wonder aswell if you could shift the hues a bit as already requested.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Hlop on Sun May 29, 2005 12:25 am

Thanks guys

Actually, I don't want to do any color correction - we (me and the model) like it as is - warm and bit soft. That's why we did session with candle light. Otherwise why would we bother to use candles? I could use SB800 :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Killakoala on Sun May 29, 2005 12:45 am

Excellent portrait Mikhail. The lighting has created an almost magical, surreal, mystical look to her. Superb.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby BBJ on Sun May 29, 2005 1:02 am

Hey Mikhail, I like this pic as the candle light has soften her face and looks very good to me. I am not a portrait person, but if i was her and well even you i would be happy at the way it looks.
Well done mate.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby kipper on Sun May 29, 2005 1:08 am

Mikhail, I didn't mean go to the extent of removing all warmth to the image. I just meant ease it off a bit so there was a bit of natural color to it, with some of the candle warmth.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby big pix on Sun May 29, 2005 1:14 am

but have you even tried to change the hues......... if you don't try how will you learn......... and I don't need the practise.......

bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Catcha on Sun May 29, 2005 9:05 am

Nice shot
Ben Yu

D300,SB800,Sigma 10-20,Mini Trekker Classic,Nova 3,Ixus 55 Other toys coming very soon..stayed tuned !!!!

Check out my site http://byu88.smugmug.com<>http://photobucket.com/byu88
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby kipper on Sun May 29, 2005 11:02 am

This was about a 2 minute job in Photoshop. I had a quick go at doing it for the whole scene but the color shift in the background and the highlights in the girls hair didn't look right. So I did a selection of the girls face, shoulder areas, ears etc using a tolerance of 16. Then I tidied up some of the selection using the magnetic lasso. Once done I feathered the selection using around about 10-15px. Then I used the color balance tool on both the midtones and the highlights, didn't touch the shadows. For the midtones I shifted the top slider to the left by a fair bit around -60 to -80 so more towards Cyan than Red. Then the middle in the positive around +40 towards Green and the third slider around +80 going towards Blue. I did the same for hightlights but not as drastic about 15-30% of the shift from 0 (center).
While I was doing this, I was keeping an eye on the girls necklace aswell to ensure the gold came out like gold. I think I might of gone a bit to much green as the necklace has a tinge of green. Anyway I think it's not bad for a quick go at it, and I think it retains some of it's candlelight warmth.

Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby sirhc55 on Sun May 29, 2005 11:21 am

Sorry Kipper, I can see where Mikhail is coming from and your work has destroyed the effect. IMO Mikhail has captured the moment as seen, so why change it to be conventional. . .
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Sun May 29, 2005 11:26 am

Like I said Chris, it was only 2 minutes. You could still retain some of the candle warmth, without losing the candlelit effect and not having it look like a jaffa. However some bacon and sausages were calling and I couldn't be bothered spending any more time on it.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby sirhc55 on Sun May 29, 2005 11:28 am

kipper wrote:Like I said Chris, it was only 2 minutes. You could still retain some of the candle warmth, without losing the candlelit effect and not having it look like a jaffa. However some bacon and sausages were calling and I couldn't be bothered spending any more time on it.

Now you have made me hungary - what a way to destroy a person on a Sunday morning, who’s fridge is bare :lol:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby whiz on Sun May 29, 2005 11:28 am

The original is very smooth and warm. Excellent work.
People put way too much rubbish in signature blocks.

whiz

Postby PiroStitch on Sun May 29, 2005 1:29 pm

Prefer the original :)

It took me a while but this photo certainly started to grow on me. First impression was a bit urky but then had a look at it more and definitely grew on me. Nicely done. :D
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Sun May 29, 2005 1:41 pm

Mikhail,

I think that the basic wb for this is wrong. Did you shoot this in raw? If so, please play with the wb settings. It does need wartmth to bring out the candle effect, but the cast should be more towrds the red end of the spectrum, rather than the orage that you currently have.

This would also look very nice as a B&w image, btw, but one other thing I might consider (for necxt time) is to include a candle in the image.

WSithout the inclusion of the candle, you need to explain that the image is hot be candlelight. Throw a candle into the FoV, and regardless of whether or not it's the light source, the presumption will be made, and the story becomesmore complete.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby shutterbug on Sun May 29, 2005 6:01 pm

Hi Mikhail,

Great image, abit too yellow for me...but that is just me :)

Maybe change it to a touch of sepia with some G-blur? Hope you don't mind.

shutterbug

Postby MCWB on Sun May 29, 2005 6:36 pm

Mikhail,

Great shot, it works for me! After seeing the other versions posted I think it's maybe a tad too orange, especially the highlights on her face, but that having been said, I loved the original before I saw the rest! Well done! :)
MCWB

Postby Hlop on Sun May 29, 2005 7:11 pm

Thank you everyone!

Sorry, Kipper I don't relly like your version (I hope no offence mate :) )

Gary, I've tried to shoot with the candle in the frame, it's blowing highlight

Accordingly to orange color .... OK, I'll try to play with it but I like this image as I see it right now :)

Thanks a lot again for your feedback!
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby kipper on Sun May 29, 2005 7:41 pm

Yeah that's ok Hlop, I looked at it after and wasn't overly impressed myself.
Btw, talk to BigPix, he showed me a version that I really liked.
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby Alex on Sun May 29, 2005 8:59 pm

Mikhail,

Nice shot. I really like the original. Was it Auto WB? Did you use any noise removal software like NN?

Thanks
Alex
Alex

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 29, 2005 9:21 pm

Hlop
Beautifil mood.lighting and model. Well done. One thing that I think would have made it a stronger image....have the model look into the lens. Eye contact is very powerful. Your image....the model looks out of the picture area and my eye follows...out of the picture. Anything that leads the eye out of the picture is not good.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Mark T on Sun May 29, 2005 10:28 pm

One minute in Photoshop.

Adjusted curves to reduce the red.

Mark T

Postby Matt. K on Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 pm

I think the colour balace of the original is great. It has a Rembrandt feel to it. Looks like old gold. It's the white of the eyes that distract. The model needs to look directly into the lens....which relates into the eyes of the viewer. Take it a little further Mikhail....there is a masterpiece in there somewhere.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Hlop on Sun May 29, 2005 11:22 pm

I've tried few different options in Photoshop but didn't get any result that I would like. Still love original color version.

Alex,
WB was set to auto, but I did some correction with NC. Also, applied some minor noise reduction in NC

Mark T,
Sorry, don't like it - with the yellowish skin looks like she has a problem with liver.

Matt K,
Agreed and gratefully accepted your note on look into the lens. I'll keep it in mind in the future
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby sirhc55 on Mon May 30, 2005 12:23 am

Not often I disagree with you Matt but IMHO the eyes looking to the side give the shot a wistful look and is quite acceptable as a portrait shot
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby beetleboy on Mon May 30, 2005 1:24 am

Just trying to satisfy Gary!

Sorry to mess with your pic!

Liam =]
beetleboy

Postby flipfrog on Mon May 30, 2005 6:23 am

i appologize in advance for being too lazy to read through this whole thread, so sorry if it was aleady covered, but the hair shadow down the side of her face is very distracting.... it almost looks like a prominant vein stickin outta her face running down her cheek
flipfrog

Postby ozimax on Tue May 31, 2005 10:48 am

To be honest Flippe, I never noticed the hair shadow, like the original, it's different and, well original.

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques