First Posted Pic

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

First Posted Pic

Postby robboh on Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 pm

Be slightly gentle but honest :D

Smile; it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
robboh

Re: First Posted Pic

Postby MCWB on Tue May 31, 2005 8:03 pm

Foreground and subject are great, bokeh is a bit distracting though! Try blurring it more perhaps?
MCWB

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 31, 2005 8:42 pm

Robboh

I thought exactly the same as Trent - the boke is distracting (NOT your fault - blame the lens) but the pic is great. Much better than my first picture post :cry:

The composition works really well and the focus is tack sharp.

I'd probably clone out the ear that's growing out of kitty's back though :wink:

Keep up the good work. Are there more from here?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby big pix on Tue May 31, 2005 9:05 pm

Great shot ...... but a little bit of a straighten up would also be good.......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby robboh on Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 pm

Hey, thanks guys.

Agreed about the bokeh and the 'extra ear' :)

The original was a bit soft so has been PP'd a bit and by that stage I had had enough so the ear and background got left alone (I dont really enjoy PP very much as Im not overly good at it and find it quite frustrating).
Also had a look at straightening it but the log looked a bit weird to me (plus she was reclining on a bit of a slope).

EXIF data:
80-200 @ 200, 2x TC
1/160s @ f3.2
ISO 200
robboh

Postby marcus on Tue May 31, 2005 11:08 pm

A great 1st post!

Only thing that annoys me is that extra ear you mentioned.

OK ............. Stubbsy VS MCWB is it boke or bokeh?
I know nutzinc
marcus

Postby mic on Tue May 31, 2005 11:12 pm

Thats an Ear Backed Cat :D very rare :roll: :roll:
Very nice 1st post indeed.

Mic. :wink:
Watch out Kerry :shock:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:15 am

marcus wrote:...OK ............. Stubbsy VS MCWB is it boke or bokeh?

Well Marcus - have a look here

Both are spellings in current use - mine is just more correct :D despite being less commonly used.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:19 am

If my first post had been as good as this I would have been very proud indeed - well done :D
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby robboh on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:57 am

Ok, Ok! I'll do some more work on it! I'll g-blur the background a bit and turn her into a proper lioness rather than a sawtooth-backed cat :D

Mic, I dont think Kerry has too much to worry about from me :)

Stubbsy, here are a couple more from the same day that I have access to from work. Basically straight out of the camera with a bit of sharpening. Plus, IIRC, the lioness is basically a 50% crop of a landscape pic. These ones are a bit bigger (~500k).

Lemur
Lioness

The lioness in this one was the one that the 'ear' belonged to. She moved :(
robboh

Postby ozimax on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:06 am

Great shot, definitely depth of field / blurring background etc would have better effect but well composed shot with natural frame of tree limbs, may look even better without border at all?

Max
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby KerryPierce on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:43 am

Very cool shot, Rob. :D

For a full critique, I'll add to what the others have said. The shot looks to be about -.3 to -.6EV underexposed on the important parts. The sidelighting is the problem and the right side of the cat looks about right. I'd brighten up the face, ears and other shadow areas a tad, doing double brighten on the cat's eyes with a selection of just the eyes.

Cloning the ear out of the background would be easy stuff, if you fix the background first. It's easy to fix because there's not a lot of it. Select the OOF areas with a slight feather and apply a decent gaussian blur. That should fix your broken bokeh.

Then select, with a slight to medium feather, a square area, just to the right of the ear on the back, making sure that you catch a little of the cat's back. Promote the selection to a layer, twice, and then move one over to cover the ear and the other to cover the white circle. Erase any of the promoted selections that don't fit properly. Then flatten.

Here's a quickie to demo what I mean. The differences are rather subtle, but effective, I think.

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/
KerryPierce

Postby stubbsy on Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:14 pm

robboh wrote:Stubbsy, here are a couple more from the same day that I have access to from work. Basically straight out of the camera with a bit of sharpening. Plus, IIRC, the lioness is basically a 50% crop of a landscape pic. These ones are a bit bigger (~500k).

Lemur
Lioness

The lioness in this one was the one that the 'ear' belonged to. She moved :(

The Lemur is good - better when cropped when you PP. Shame about the tree branch in the lioness shot as the expression on her face is great.

Thanks for sharing the pics & keep up the good work. PS If it helps any I don't really undersatnd everything Kerry says either and I've been PPing in Photoshop for a while :oops:
Peter
stubbsy

Postby mic on Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:35 pm

Kerry is our Master Yoda :shock: we are but young Jedi Knights in training :D

Mic Siph :wink:
mic
Retired Egg Flipper

Postby robboh on Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the comments and help guys! Appreciated!! 8)

Kerry. Thank you for the tips. How do you normally do your selections, with the pen tool, or the magic lasso?? I'll have a go at making these changes on the original and then repost for critique.

Mic. Only two there ever are, a master and apprentice :D
robboh

Postby mudder on Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:35 pm

G'day Rob,
I'm a sucker for any animal shots and this is bloody great! Wow, the first posts are getting really good these days :shock: Strewth, miine would have been a shocker :(

It's a bit tricky trying to get the best exposure when there's "hot spots" of white fur on animals under side lighting but I think you've done great with this...

Aren't Lemur's full of character? They're terrific subjects...

Looking forward to more of these...
Aka Andrew
mudder

Postby robboh on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:13 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for the kinds words.

The original pic isn't particularly good technically and got saved by RAW and PP really.

I do have to admit that Im a sucker for animal shots as well :)
As for the Lemur's, I love photographing them. They would have to be my favourite subject, though as you say, quite frustrating to photograph. They are as mad as hatters and very fast. They have high contrast colouring and so its VERY easy to blow out the fur around their faces. But that all makes for good practise 8)

Rob.
robboh

Postby marcus on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Robbo, I have previously commented on your great 1st shot but should'nt it be a sheep? :lol:
Stubbsy.....Yeah popular opinion obviously states that you beat MCWB.
All the way with Bokeh!! :D
I know nutzinc
marcus

Postby KerryPierce on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:43 am

stubbsy wrote: PS If it helps any I don't really undersatnd everything Kerry says either and I've been PPing in Photoshop for a while :oops:

I don't mean to be obtuse, obscene or obliterated when I talk about this stuff. :shock: Anytime I say something that doesn't make sense or you want more info, please ask. I try not to be condescending or overly techie, but it's a hard row to hoe when trying to explain this stuff. I don't get offended, so don't hold back on that account. :)
KerryPierce

Postby KerryPierce on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:46 am

mic wrote:Kerry is our Master Yoda :shock: we are but young Jedi Knights in training :D

Mic Siph :wink:

:lol: Wow, Mic. I'm certainly no master at any part of this game. When you take enough bad images, even the slowest thought process is bound to pick up some tricks along the way. :P
KerryPierce

Postby KerryPierce on Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:56 am

robboh wrote:Kerry. Thank you for the tips. How do you normally do your selections, with the pen tool, or the magic lasso??
:D

You're welcome, Rob. The image will dictate the type of selection used. For example, large detailed, areas of high contrast can be quickly selected with the magic lasso and then fine tuned with the pen tool. Other areas can be quickly roughed out with the pen tool, before fine tuning.

I frequently combine the use of both tools. For this image, the areas to be selected are small, so I used the pen tool with a 2 or 3 feather, IIRC, for the background OOF areas. I then applied a gaussian blur of 1.5.

I used the pen tool to make a rough rectangular selection, just to the right of the ear on the back. The rectangle was slightly larger than the ear, with a feather of about 4 or 5.

If I'm not making it easy for you to follow, please say so and I'll give it another go, with step by step examples. The stuff isn't hard to do, but it is frequently hard to visualize from brief written instructions. :)
KerryPierce

Postby robboh on Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:23 am

marcus wrote:Robbo, I have previously commented on your great 1st shot but should'nt it be a sheep? :lol:

EDIT: On reflection, the joke I posted in here wasnt particularly tasteful and might have been taken the wrong way. It was intended as a good-natured response to the good-natured dig above.
Apologies to anyone who might have been offended.

Rob.
robboh

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques