My first picture test

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

My first picture test

Postby stephen on Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:20 pm

Hi guys this is my first picture .It is a bit of test to see if it works ,it is of my dog(obviously) and it is as it came out the camera.(i think its even out of focus,sorry)Image
stephen

Postby stubbsy on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:41 pm

Good start Stephen. I noticed elsehwre you asked where to post images and, while you got told how to, you weren't actually told where to.

This is the wrong spot, but that's OK. You're new here :wink: There's an entire section just for image posts & (friendly) critiques. You'll find it listed on the front page as Image Reviews and Critiques.

Cheers & welcome PS The shot is a good one, but the dog seems a little out of focus.

Edit: Boy am I dumb. You said it was OOF :oops: Another tip - that object on the lower left hand side detracts from the pic. When you PP I'd definitely crop it out or clone it out.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Moved. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby stubbsy on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:49 pm

Nnnnsic wrote:Moved. :)

Now why didn't I think of suggesting that. Now it's in the right spot & I look stupid. All is right with the world :lol:

Leigh - why aren't you at the mini meet - it's Saturday.

Before you ask I'm at work - they called me in to fix some software problems. Guess I'd better get off the forum :D
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Nnnnsic on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:53 pm

I haven't left to go to work yet.

I have a furry feline relaxing on my lap.

And you don't look silly... hence why I moved it and put a post that said "Moved".

Now people... stay on topic.
Comment on his pic. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby ozimax on Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:11 pm

Stephen, there's one main thin wrong with your picture - it's not a Dachshund! Welcome to the forum.

Max :D :D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby stephen on Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:52 pm

Thanks for the responses guys,I have no experience with cropping and editing photots but i will give it a go.One thing i would like to ask is i have this photo as my screen saver and it is in perfect focus,could i have smudged the picture or sometrhing when i compressed it .All i have done is change its size to suit web pages that is all?????.Thanks....
Ozimax i think a dachshound would dig more holes than a staffy on steroids and i already have a 18 hole golf course in the back yard :cry:
stephen

Postby dhess on Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:09 pm

ozimax wrote:Stephen, there's one main thin wrong with your picture - it's not a Dachshund! Welcome to the forum.

Max :D :D

I agree. Dachshunds are the best :P
dhess

Postby stephen on Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:49 pm

looks like i have the dashhounds supporters comming out the woodwork :?
stephen

Postby stephen on Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:58 pm

any one got any idea if i could have blurred the shot when compressing it,because as i said its my screen saver and its in perfect focus on there??????????
stephen

Postby jethro on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:01 pm

ill back a staffy anyday my backyard looks like the moon.
shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:04 pm

stephen wrote:any one got any idea if i could have blurred the shot when compressing it,because as i said its my screen saver and its in perfect focus on there??????????

Highly unlikely Stephen. I'd expect more uniform blurring if it was a compression artifact
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Ben on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:08 pm

it is of my dog(obviously) and it is as it came out the camera

I have a question... how did u fit the dog in your camera???

Ben
Ben

Postby stephen on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:13 pm

Thanks Peter,Its got me stumped then...Ihave just got my check in from the insurance company(old camera was stolen;fujifinepix3000) so i am going to have to do a bit of shopping soon and see what i can pick up at a reasonable price and then i can start learning how to take a real photo with a real camera.I will be a bit nervous posting them up here as i look at most of the photos and think they are awesome and everyone else comments on this and that and it would be better if this done to it ect ect. I guess you have to learn to walk before you can run. Cheers Stephen
stephen

Postby stephen on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:16 pm

Ben i meant the image is untouched as i dont know how to photoshop or anything or are you taking the p..s? :lol:
stephen

Postby Ben on Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:54 pm

Sorry, xcuse my poor sense of humour.

Ben
Ben

Postby stephen on Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:17 am

no worries mate im a newby im a little slow atm :lol:
stephen

Postby stubbsy on Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:45 pm

stephen wrote:Thanks Peter,Its got me stumped then...Ihave just got my check in from the insurance company(old camera was stolen;fujifinepix3000) so i am going to have to do a bit of shopping soon and see what i can pick up at a reasonable price and then i can start learning how to take a real photo with a real camera.I will be a bit nervous posting them up here as i look at most of the photos and think they are awesome and everyone else comments on this and that and it would be better if this done to it ect ect. I guess you have to learn to walk before you can run. Cheers Stephen

Stephen

Don't refrain from posting for fear of appearing ordinary. I've seen a huge range of shots here by people of all different skill levels and there have been fantasic ones from newbs and ordinary ones from the pro's. Your shots are probably better than you think since you'll be your greatest critic.

If you don't post you miss the extraordinary value of having your work critiqued, along with friendly helpful tips that will improve your work phenomenally. And no one is unkind. If they are - they disappear VERY quickly :twisted:
Peter
stubbsy

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques