Jenolan Caves, March 20, 2005

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby gleff on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:22 pm

I might give the 1300 step cave a miss.. we'll see how I feel. Now if the cave had an escalator, then i'd definately be in it, but I don't like my chances ;)

I did 3 easy caves last time I was there, and was pretty exhausted by the end of it.

I think you're right, I doubt everyone will do every cave.

Geoff
http://www.gleff.com

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:23 pm

gleff wrote:I might give the 1300 step cave a miss.. we'll see how I feel. Now if the cave had an escalator, then i'd definately be in it, but I don't like my chances ;)

I did 3 easy caves last time I was there, and was pretty exhausted by the end of it.

I think you're right, I doubt everyone will do every cave.

Geoff

Remember this is special: from 9:00 - 5:00 excursion trip. :wink:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby leek on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:24 pm

Matt. K wrote:I think about 45 minutes will be her limit

Is that due to nicotine cravings? :lol: :lol: Only joking - I used to smoke myself...

Maybe we can talk about this on Saturday and come up with some alternative activities for the people who don't want to be underground for 5-6 hours... Maybe Mrs. K can join my wife and go read a book somewhere nice... (I've noticed that they both like to do that...)
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby gleff on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:31 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Remember this is special: from 9:00 - 5:00 excursion trip. :wink:

yeh but 1300...

That's like going up the stairs at chatswood station 300 times
or 3/4's the number of steps of the empire state building
or 1/2 the number of steps of the CN Tower

I'm getting tired just thinking about it.

We'll see how I feel on the day :)

Geoff

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:46 pm

IMHO, I think it's a long day for an excursion trip plus you have to drive home long way with your emptied of resources.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:09 pm

Especially some members have to drive at the early hour on Sunday try to reach the caves at 9:00 and drive home after 5:30. I can imagine how tough is it! have fun btw.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Werewolf on Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:01 pm

Sorry guys..........looks like I'll have to give this caving extravaganza a miss :cry: :cry: Appears I may have to fly to Perth that Sunday for a work assignment. All expenses paid of course :wink: Was looking forward to meeting you all but it seems it will have to wait to another time.

I'm sure it will be fab weekend. Have fun. Don't fall down any holes!

Steve
Wollongong Wolves, Manchester City, Newcastle Utd. D70 Freak!
Werewolf

Postby nigels on Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:52 am

Sorry again guys for posting so late, doctors, hospitals and blood tests, the usual, plus just feeling lousy. Never mind will definitely see you on the 20th, even by ambulance.

Just to answer a few questions.

Ted Mathews or I can arrange to take people out in most places, so please don't worry about being stuck underground all day. It can be lunchtime, in the morning etc. Taking people out of caves for one reason or another is part of guiding duties and happens several times a week.

Don't let the steps worry you too much, as of the 1300 steps half are of course down. On one really busy day I did 5 cave tours and the steps totalled over 6,000.

The free passes for parking and camping, plus the mud map will be completed by this Sunday night, either in JPG and/or Adobe Acrobat.

I can either bring down the other letters with me or post them on the jenolan caves website. That is the confirmation letters to use the piccys in portfolios etc. It my be easier for someone to send me the final list with the persons first name, middle initial and last name, then I can have them typed up on Trust letterhead. I don't think it should be necessary to include addresses, but I will leave that up to the forum as I have not done this sort of thing before.

Second last issue, you may (or may not) be asked to sign a form stating that you cannot reproduce any photographs for commercial gain without the express permission of the Trust. The Trust is usually pretty good with this as any publicity is good publicity.

Finally, we have been charging for car parking for the past 50 years or so, but only on weekends and public holidays. Midweek, except during school holidays has always been free

Kindest regards to all
Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby leek on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:04 pm

Werewolf wrote:Sorry guys..........looks like I'll have to give this caving extravaganza a miss :cry: :cry:

Sorry you can't make it Werewolf... I've updated the table on Page 9 of this thread to reflect this...
Cheers, John

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

85mm 1.4

Postby nigels on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:12 pm

Hi BirdDog.

Do you have a new 85mm 1.4 available.

Regards
Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby MHD on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:15 pm

did you find pirate gold?

Wow Nige... sounds awesome! And thanks for the clarification on the portfolio thing and I will have no problems signing the form!
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby sheepie on Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Sounding good Nige - and thanks again for organising! I really hope you're feeling better by next weekend and can join us properly for the day (rather than perhaps just being there, but not being up to the caves themselves).
Have no problem with signing off on the 'not for commercial gain' thing, especially if we have a further letter allowing use for portfolio work.
Am also happy to collate the info on people's names, etc., if others want me to. I think it would be good to get this note on letterhead if possible, as that will look pretty good in our records 8)
Looks like we'll have a good group of us, hopefully it won't be too many. I'm sure it will all work out.
Can you please confirm the deal on camping, especially as we're intending to stay Sunday night as well - will we need to pay for that night?
Thanks again!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby nigels on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi guys,

Camping will be free Fiday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

If someone would like to collate the names, ie first, middle initial and surname and simply post to this forum or privately, or to my own address of ns6@bigpond.com I will do the rest.

Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby brembo on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Just got a PM from leek, completely forgot about this little event. After looking into things I won't be able to attend (I think I have 5 things on that weekend already).

Maybe next time, if there is a next time.
brembo

Postby leek on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 pm

nigels wrote:Hi guys,
If someone would like to collate the names, ie first, middle initial and surname and simply post to this forum or privately, or to my own address of ns6@bigpond.com I will do the rest.
Nige

I'll do it based on the list I have above and a few PMs to get people's real names....
I'll e-mail the list to you early next week...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby leek on Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:36 pm

brembo wrote:After looking into things I won't be able to attend (I think I have 5 things on that weekend already).

Table on page 9 updated accordingly...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby leek on Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Thaddeus just told me that he'd be interested in coming along too... I'll just register his interest for now...

Nigel, can you confirm what the absolute maximum for the caves tour is? A couple of people from the original list have dropped out, but I just want to make sure that we don't have too many people for our own good...

Hope you feel much much better by next Sunday (20th)...
Cheers, John

leek

Jenolan Caves trip - accommodation tip

Postby Nikkofan on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:40 pm

Hi everyone

I don't know if this has been mentioned already (haven't had time to read all the posts about this Jenolan weekend), so sorry if it has, but if anyone is looking for accommodation close to the caves, there are some really nice cabins up on Porcupine Hill, near the Caves. We have stayed there a number of times when we've gone adventure caving and they are verrrryy nice to come home to after a long day caving! 2 bedrooms taking 6 people, nice kitchen, bathroom and lounge area with (best of all) a log fire just meant to accompany a good drop of red! There are also nice views across the Blue Mts and lots of kangaroos around, so it's pretty pleasant.

There are at least 6 cabins, I think, and they are owned and run by a couple who work at the caves themselves. The man is Barry, but I can't remember his wife's name (Robyn, maybe?) The web site is: http://www.jenolancabins.com.au.

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it if anyone's stuck for accomm that weekend. I don't know if they're even available, but I do know they're very nice and when you split the cost between 6 people, they're actually pretty cheap. And no, I don't make anything out of this recommendation (wish I did, because I've recommended them so often!)

Sounds like you're all going to have a fantastic weekend - enjoy!!
Nikkofan

Postby thaddeus on Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:05 am

leek wrote:Thaddeus just told me that he'd be interested in coming along too... I'll just register his interest for now...

i'm having trouble getting accommodation at jenolan. i'd prefer to stay somewhere near where i can land. i tried the cabins at the top of the hill but they are full, and tried jenolan cabins recommended by nikkofan (could be the same ones, not sure!) but they didn't answer the phone. i'm going away this weekend so will try again next week but it's looking less than probable at this stage.
thaddeus

Postby Nikkofan on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:15 pm

Thaddeus

There are also other cabins on the way to Jenolan - on the right hand side of the road, before you get to the really steep, winding bit of the Jenolan road - but they're not nearly as nice as the Jenolan Cabins on Porcupine Hill.

We have stayed there a number of times too, but they have become more run-down over time. However, they still have 2 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, lounge room & balcony overlooking a playground, great for kids, plus they have heaps of kangaroos around at sunset. They are also pretty cheap and certainly OK for 1 or 2 nights.

They are called "Binda Bush Cabins" and I think they are run by the Jenolan Caves Reserve Trust, so I think if you contact them, they can tell you whether they're available.

Good luck
Nikkofan

Postby nigels on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Yes Barry and Robyn own the Jenolan Cabins, excellent friends and we have an association going back 17 years.

The absolute maximum numbers!

Well I was initially told by my manager, 10 to 15 . However as you can see, it is now slightly more than that. So whats happening now is we will split the group in two, with two guides. Realistically, about 10 to 12 in each group would be about right, however, and I stress this most emphatically, if 30 people come along, all 30 will go underground, in the two groups I've mentioned. As some caves and platforms are bigger than others we may split the groups say 12 and 18, or something along those lines.

Also don't forget we nearly have the caves to ourselves, although there may be groups passing through us and 15 people spread say over 50 to 100 metres is neither here nor there, so to speak.

Besides that, although the general manager is one of the greatest managers anyone could wish for, he won't be present at the meet (I bloody hope). It will just be me and the Visitor Services Manager, and he and I get on very well indeed.

The main thing is for everyone to enjoy a great weekend and take some great piccys on Sunday

By the way do not think for a second that I am being put into any sort of compromising position. I have been checking this forum on a regular basis and if I thought things were getting out of hand, I would have jumped in much sooner. Please remember I was the Chief guide at the caves for many years, know what they can handle and any restrictions that may compromise their integrity.

Cheers for now
Nige PS

After my last stupid remark about the ladies, perhaps I should change my name to "the Joker" (Full Metal Jacket I think.
nigels
The Joker

Postby gstark on Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:12 pm

nigels wrote:After my last stupid remark about the ladies, perhaps I should change my name to "the Joker" (Full Metal Jacket I think.

Oh dear ... look at what I've done!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:47 pm

MJ & Leigh can't make it, so the tally at the moment looks like this:
<table border=1><tr><td></td><td>Blackheath</td><td>Blackheath </td><td>Jenolan</td><td>CAVES</td><td></td></tr> <tr><td>Name</td><td>Shoot</td><td>Dinner</td><td>Camping</td><td>Shoot</td><td>Note</td></tr><tr><td>Gary</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td><td>1</td><td>Still to confirm attendance</td></tr><tr><td>Stubbsy</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>gleff</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Matt K + 1</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td></td><td>2</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Leek + 2</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td></td><td>3</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Sheepie</td><td></td><td></td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Killakoala</td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Rokkstar +1</td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>MHD + 2</td><td></td><td></td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Woody + Eric</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling on Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>Hlop +2</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>3</td><td>Still to confirm travel</td></tr><tr><td>Geoff + 1</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>JordanP + 1</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>sirhc55</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>Coolhand + 1</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>Still to confirm</td></tr><tr><td>Skippy</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>Still to confirm</td></tr>
<tr><td>TOTAL</td><td>6</td><td>8</td><td>9</td><td>28</td></tr></table>

Please let me know if there are any errors in these details...

P.S. Nigel... I will acting as courier from Birddog and will be bringing an 85mm 1,4 and a rubber eye cup with me for you...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby nigels on Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks Leek,

Seriously considering a 17-55DX as well. Better do some hard work on my budget.

Regards
Nige
nigels
The Joker

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Leek,

That's 2 for me for Blackheath ... we'll decide about trekking through the caves on Sunday morning.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Hlop on Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:30 pm

leek wrote:Hlop +2 3 Still to confirm travel

Hi Leek,
What do you mean by that? When or how we're going to travel?
Most probably on Sunday. BTW. A while ago we were talking about bus or coach hire. Is this idea still alive? I'd prefer to go by bus having conversation to the people, chating about photo and anything else ...
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby gstark on Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:01 pm

Hlop wrote:BTW. A while ago we were talking about bus or coach hire. Is this idea still alive? I'd prefer to go by bus having conversation to the people, chating about photo and anything else ...

As much as we might like to, this creates issues for us that we are simply not in a position to deal with. So, no.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:41 pm

Hlop wrote:
leek wrote:Hlop +2 3 Still to confirm travel

Hi Leek,
What do you mean by that? When or how we're going to travel?
Most probably on Sunday.

The coach is not planned any more...
I was just seeking to confirm how & when you will travel... Last time you messaged you said you still weren't sure... If you're travelling on Sunday, that's fine - I mainly wanted to know how many people were going to Blackheath / Camping...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby Hlop on Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:08 am

Gary, Leek,

No worriez! I was just asking in case if I missed something.

We'll make our way out there. At what time we should be there and where is the meeting point?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby leek on Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:18 am

Hlop, Nigel described the trip and where to meet in an earlier post - here are the details...

nigels wrote:Hi Guys,

Sorry to answer so late, still feel like something the cat dragged in.

OK- Costs Nil
Camping ground now open, will close for 1 or 2 days for road repairs, but only midweek, won't affect us.

So camping ground free of charge and will hold all of you, although it is not large. Please try to bring a little wood if possible

i recommend a start time at the bus park at about 9.00am

Bus park cannot be missed, first open area on your right after you drive through the Grand Archway. Leave any heavy gear there if you wish and then proceed onto the car park, about 150 metres further up the road.

As I mentioned earier, I will process 2 forms for free parking at the car park and free camping.

Ted Mathews, our guide, and myself will be at the bus park. You won't miss me, I'll have a Manfrotto tripod over one shoulder and a small shotgun over the other. ( to shoot the bloody stinky bats.)

I promise to have the 2 forms out in time.

Time in the caves will be at least untill 5/5.30pm with a small break for lunch ( I am bringing my own.) However there are some magic shots outside afterwards if you have the time

So in real terms, times inside the caves would be about 6.5 to 7 hours.

Regards Nige

ps I will also do the mud map to the camping ground as it will be easier to find.
Cheers, John

leek

Postby gleff on Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:40 am

Nige,

I tend to get to places a bit early, do we just make our way to the parking area.. Eg. do we need the free parking permit thingy to park, or to leave the parking lot?

Thanks
Geoff

Postby nigels on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:25 pm

No Geoff,

parking attendants don't usually arrive until about 8.30am, so before this you can in fact park for free.

But I will have the free parking vouchers completed by Wednesday and I recommend you print off a copy just in case.

Regards
Nige

ps
something further on this in my next post.
nigels
The Joker

Postby MHD on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 pm

something further on this in my next post.

Excellent!

Just got Friday off work so this has turned into a mini holiday for us!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby sheepie on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:47 pm

well done MHD - we have now confirmed Monday off, so we're even better! As planned, we'll be there sometime late-ish Friday arvo - if we're there before you we won't be missed, as I have the D70users banner! hehe

If you're there first, make sure you pick out a nice spot for all of us!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Killakoala on Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm tempted to pop down there early Saturday so i can have a wander around the area and photograph some daytime stuff. Might see you in the AM then.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:44 am

OK - a few more changes... Coolhand has dropped out, and Gary + 1 will be there for the evening shoot and dinner at Blackheath and for the caves. I also hear that Birddog may join us for the evening photo shoot and dinner...

Skippy is the only one who originally expressed an interest, but hasn't confirmed... Skippy, skippy - wherefore art thou Skippy?

The list of attendees now looks like this:
<table border=1><tr><td></td><td>Blackheath</td><td>Blackheath </td><td>Jenolan</td><td>CAVES</td><td></td></tr> <tr><td>Name</td><td>Shoot</td><td>Dinner</td><td>Camping</td><td>Shoot</td><td>Note</td></tr><tr><td>Gary + 1</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td></td><td>2</td><td></td></tr>
<tr><td>Birddog</td><td>5</td><td>5</td><td></td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Stubbsy</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>gleff</td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Matt K + 1</td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td></td><td>2</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Leek + 2</td><td>1</td><td>3</td><td></td><td>3</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Sheepie</td><td></td><td></td><td>3</td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Killakoala</td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>1</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Rokkstar +1</td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>2</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>MHD + 2</td><td></td><td></td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Woody + Eric</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling on Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>Hlop +2</td><td>3</td><td>3</td><td></td><td>3</td><td></td></tr><tr><td>Geoff + 1</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>JordanP + 1</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>2</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>sirhc55</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>travelling Sunday</td></tr><tr><td>Skippy</td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td>1</td><td>Still to confirm</td></tr>
<tr><td>TOTAL</td><td>15</td><td>17</td><td>9</td><td>27</td></tr></table>

Please let me know if there are any errors in these details...
Last edited by leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, John

leek

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:49 am

sheepie wrote:well done MHD - we have now confirmed Monday off, so we're even better! As planned, we'll be there sometime late-ish Friday arvo - if we're there before you we won't be missed, as I have the D70users banner! hehe

If you're there first, make sure you pick out a nice spot for all of us!

Ahh ha! That is where you are wrong...
Monday is a public holiday in Canberra...
Hello four day weekend!
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:51 am

For those staying overnight but not camping, what motels have you booked?

I'll be booking mine later this week, and just want a show of hands as to where y'all are stayin'.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:02 am

gstark wrote:For those staying overnight but not camping, what motels have you booked?

I'll be booking mine later this week, and just want a show of hands as to where y'all are stayin'.

Gary - I've booked a holiday cottage in Blackheath for the weekend...

On a general note, there are a couple of points for discussion:

Sunset Photo Shoot A couple of people mentioned that we are going to shoot the Three Sisters at sunset... Most of us seem to be staying in Blackheath (which was the original suggestion) - The Three Sisters is in Katoomba (20kms away). Do we really want to photo the Three Sisters, or go for one of the lookouts near Blackheath???

Dinner Does anyone have any preferences for restaurants in Blackheath... I've heard good things about Vulcan's but it only seats 46 people and we cannot reserve until Thursday - maybe we should look at a few alternatives - any suggestions / requirements?
Cheers, John

leek

Postby MHD on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:07 am

Are the three sisters subject to the same kind of BS as the harbour bridge?

And how far is it from blackheath to jenolan.. Louse and I might come to the dinner if its not to far...
New page
Portfolio...
MHD

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:10 am

MHD wrote:Are the three sisters subject to the same kind of BS as the harbour bridge?

And how far is it from blackheath to jenolan.. Louse and I might come to the dinner if its not to far...

MHD,
If you go for the dinner at Blackheath from Jenolan Caves, you might get back to your camping ground by midnight with the winding road over the pass.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:13 am

gstark wrote:For those staying overnight but not camping, what motels have you booked?

Gary, just in case you missed it earlier in the thread - I've booked a room at Blackheath Motor Inn which is 2 minutes walk from Blackheath & 400m from the train station so I'm guessing it's pretty central :!:
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:13 am

According to Birddog's original post it would be about 50 minutes...

According to Whereis.com.au it looks like 1 hour 40 minutes...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:15 am

stubbsy wrote:

Gary, just in case you missed it earlier in the thread - I've booked a room at Blackheath Motor Inn which is 2 minutes walk from Blackheath & 400m from the train station so I'm guessing it's pretty central :!:

stubbsy,
So what? are you going home by train? :lol: after few bottle of Reds :lol:
I'll be at Blackheath for the sunset shoot and have dinner with the A Team :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:17 am

leek wrote:On a general note, there are a couple of points for discussion:

Sunset Photo Shoot A couple of people mentioned that we are going to shoot the Three Sisters at sunset... Most of us seem to be staying in Blackheath (which was the original suggestion) - The Three Sisters is in Katoomba (20kms away). Do we really want to photo the Three Sisters, or go for one of the lookouts near Blackheath???

Dinner Does anyone have any preferences for restaurants in Blackheath... I've heard good things about Vulcan's but it only seats 46 people and we cannot reserve until Thursday - maybe we should look at a few alternatives - any suggestions / requirements?

I don't know the area, so I'll leave it to others to choose where we shoot as I'm happy to go with the flow.

So far as dinner. Don't care either, but my preference is for BYO so I can bring a nice red or two. Had a look at Vulcan's web site, but it doesn't really tell you much about the food. I'm happy with pretty much anything (except Australian "chinese" :wink: )
Peter
stubbsy

Postby gstark on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:22 am

MHD wrote:Are the three sisters subject to the same kind of BS as the harbour bridge?

There are no security guards on the decks of any of the sisters, to my knowledge. :)

It's been a while, but maybe 50K ??? The road from Jenolan to Blackheath is a little twisty - great fun for me (I'll be in the GTV) but needs to be driven with a little bit of caution, and that would be especially true at night. We used to do some rallies in the region back in the 70's and 80's ...

Leek, 50 minutes sounds a tad optimistic, but 100 minutes sounds more than a tad conservative. I'm thinking a bit over an hour ...

46 at Vulcan's ? We'll have 10 for dinner? sounds eminently doable to me.

Blackheath Motor Inn ??? IIRC, that's a white place - perhaps a Flag - on the right heading away from Sydeneyyyyy. Been quite a while since I stayed there - see above comments re: rallies. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:25 am

Birddog114 wrote:stubbsy,
So what? are you going home by train? :lol: after few bottle of Reds :lol:
I'll be at Blackheath for the sunset shoot and have dinner with the A Team :wink:

Home by train would be nice after the Caves - it's going to be a loooong drive, but for Blackheath I'm planning on walking (staggering) the 2 mins or so back to my room after dinner. And while I may bring a few bottles of red I plan on others helping me drink them :D
Peter
stubbsy

Postby leek on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:35 am

gstark wrote:46 at Vulcan's ? We'll have 10 for dinner? sounds eminently doable to me.

Agreed, but the problem is that they are only open Fri-Sun and only take bookings on those days or Thursday... It may be fully booked, but I'll give it a go... I'll have a look at some other alternatives as well...
Cheers, John

leek

Postby gleff on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 am

I've booked at the blackheath motor inn or whatever it's called. :)

Postby birddog114 on Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:47 am

Leek,
Abbots Restaurant or others, if you can, book for me as well 5 Pax.
Thanks
Birddog114
birddog114

PreviousNext

Return to Sydney