What are Quadrotones?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What are Quadrotones?

Postby ABG on Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:30 pm

I've noticed a few people talking about quadrotones (sp?) in PP. Can someone please explain to me what they are and how you apply them to an image?

Thanks
Andrew
ABG

Postby Matt. K on Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Andrew
Change your image into a black and white using your favourite method. Then go to IMAGE/MODE/ GREYSCALE...when you do this then go back to IMAGE/MODE and select duotone.....which will now be available. There are a couple that will sepiatone your image but I forget the numbers. If you are interested then I can email you a couple of custom sepia tones which you put into the PS duotone folder.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:47 pm

Andrew, I used to have a quadraphonic tape player in my Cadillac :D
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 pm

Glen wrote:Andrew, I used to have a quadraphonic tape player in my Cadillac :D

:D :D :D :D - showing your age Glen :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby digitor on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:28 am

Ha! I can double that - my mate used to have an eight track in his Bradford van.... :lol: :lol:

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:46 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Glen

Postby ABG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:09 am

I can beat that. I've still got a cartridge player that used to reside in my dad's EH Holden. Remember them? An audio tape that was the size of a video tape. The player took up half the dash :lol:
Andrew
ABG

Postby ABG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:12 am

Matt. K wrote:Andrew
Change your image into a black and white using your favourite method. Then go to IMAGE/MODE/ GREYSCALE...when you do this then go back to IMAGE/MODE and select duotone.....which will now be available. There are a couple that will sepiatone your image but I forget the numbers. If you are interested then I can email you a couple of custom sepia tones which you put into the PS duotone folder.

Thank you Matt. I shall have a play with it over the weekend. Is there any difference between duotones and quadtones?
Andrew
ABG

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:21 am

I think we might be able to set up a sub section here, the vintage music reproduction system club :lol: Wonder how long till Ipods get in?
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:49 am

ABG wrote:
Matt. K wrote:Andrew

Thank you Matt. I shall have a play with it over the weekend. Is there any difference between duotones and quadtones?

Simple as - duotones have two colours and quadtones - 4. Dont forget you have monotone and tritone too.

Oringinally used in the print industry to produce amazing results from pics with shortcoming in contrast etc.

If you are using PSCS - go to the help menue and see what they say :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:16 am

The Gregipedia wrote: The Quadrotones were a four piece singing group which first hit prominence in 1963 with their musical stylings featuring delicious four part harmonies, and their smooth moves.

Lead singer Amos Washington was known as the musical brain with his savvy interpretations of classic tunes in the developing soul movement. It was during this time that the first mention was made of "boy bands", but that was quickly discontinued following the Alabama riots.

Amos, Leroy, Jamal and Peter toured widely during 1963 and 1964, particularly through the southern states, but also up the west coast. It was in August of 1964 that Leroy became involved with a radical (at that time anyway) sect in southern California and started what would become a three year journey culminating in a sex change operation. Leshita, as she was then known, became a priestess within the cult until she was shot to death during an FBI raid in 1969.

The remaining members of the band renamed themselves to the Triotones and worked the lucrative Vegas circuit right through to the mid seventies, supporting big names such as Elvis and Frank Sinatra.

Amos is partially retired now, and owns a chain of hardware stores in South Carolina. Jamal is in congress. Peter moved to Japan where he is involved with Kachinko centres for tourists.

The Quadrotones, a part of musical history.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:19 am

Holy cow!! Mastermind here we come.
Glen

Postby ABG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:00 pm

Greg B wrote:
The Gregipedia wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm questioning the authority of this source, but I've gotta say The Quadrotones does have the ring of a Phil Spectre band :)
Andrew
ABG

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:17 pm

ABG wrote:
The Gregipedia wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm questioning the authority of this source,

That would be very wise :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby ABG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew
ABG

Postby ABG on Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:36 pm

For anyone else that may be interested, I found a tutorial about duotones, tritones and quadtones on Luminous Landscape while scoffing a bit of lunch. Thanks to everyone for their help and to Greg for his humour - gave me a good laugh :D
Andrew
ABG

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions