HELP! Camera Unresponsive but not dead

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

HELP! Camera Unresponsive but not dead

Postby lexicon90 on Sun May 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Hello All,

I'm a brand-newbie and would appreciate any help you can offer. My D70 is showing the flashing "battery exhausted" icon in the control panel. I've recharged two EN-EL3s and bought and charged up a new EN-EL3 but no luck. I've tried everything I can find - 2-button reset, etc - but nothing. I know the camera is not completely dead as the control panel is still lit. In fact I got the camera to fire off about a dozen frames yesterday, but it has since reverted to its comatose state. Any thoughts? Thanks, Lexicon90
lexicon90

Re: HELP! Camera Unresponsive but not dead

Postby Pehpsi on Sun May 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Welcome :)

Found this on the web:

TO RESET THE D70:
Remove all accessories from the camera.
Install a freshly charged battery into the camera.

By pressing the button on the bottom of the camera, the D70 will be reset to "out of the box" condition. Please note that the system clock will need to be set and any custom curves that have been loaded will be erased.

IMPORTANT:
It is advised to perform the full reset only on the direct instruction of a Nikon support staffer. A less intrusive two button reset can be accomplished by holding the BKT button and the metering mode button simultaneously for two seconds. Please refer to page 111 of the D70 manual, which outlines which settings are restored to factory default as a result of the two button reset. Custom settings are not affected by the two button method.
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby lexicon90 on Sun May 11, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks Pehpsi, I've done the limited reset (quite a few times now!) and - believe it or not - my D70 for some reason doesn't have a reset button underneath. All I can find there is the threaded socket for the tripod. Many thanks anyway.
lexicon90

Postby Pehpsi on Sun May 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Strange..

Mine has a very small (1mm) 'rubber looking' reset button on the bottom, on the USB side.. Never had to use it though. (Purchased in '06.)
Last edited by Pehpsi on Sun May 11, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikon D70

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

Pehpsi

Postby Yi-P on Sun May 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Pehpsi wrote:Strange..

Mine has a very small (1mm) 'rubber looking' reset button on the bottom, on the USB side.. (Purchased in '06.)

My D70 does have this little button too, it is not labelled, so you must look for it.
Yi-P

Postby lexicon90 on Sun May 11, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi all,

Thanks again for your help - after reading your comments I checked again, and now I have found what I think must be the reset button. Smaller than I had expected. Unfortunately the problem persists. Love to hear any further sggestions!

cheers
lexicon90

Postby Yi-P on Sun May 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Do know have a multimeter at home? try measure the voltage of your "flat" battery with it. it should read about or above 7.45 - 7.5Volts for a full charge.
Yi-P

Postby lexicon90 on Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 pm

I don't have a multimeter but I'll pick one up tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks again, all.
lexicon90

Postby Pehpsi on Sun May 11, 2008 8:14 pm

I doubt all your batteries are stuffed, but you never know.. Might be time for a trip to the Nikon doctors.

Good luck.
Nikon D70

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

Pehpsi

Postby Yi-P on Sun May 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Pehpsi wrote:I doubt all your batteries are stuffed, but you never know.. Might be time for a trip to the Nikon doctors.

Good luck.

It might a circuit problem inside the camera that causes drastic battery discharge, also have to check what's wrong inside the battery chambers.

Also make sure battery is not hot or warm after you put in the full charge and get down to 0... if its hot or warm, then there is some problem with the circuitry inside.
Yi-P

Postby team piggy on Sun May 11, 2008 11:14 pm

Could also be a buggered charger???? --> = Flatteries which will display the symptom... Just a thought..
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby lexicon90 on Mon May 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Pretty sure the charger is OK, batteries don't seem to be heating up... think I'll take it to the Camera Clinic today. Can I just say, as a brand new member (joined the forum only yesterday) I've been overwhelmed by the goodwill, suggestions, hints, tips, and assistance offered by other members. Thanks again.
lexicon90

Postby gstark on Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Do you have a known good battery you can try?

If the batteries you have are anywhere as old as the camera may be, then there's a very high likelihood that they're John Howarded.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Mon May 12, 2008 1:11 pm

gstark wrote:Do you have a known good battery you can try?

If the batteries you have are anywhere as old as the camera may be, then there's a very high likelihood that they're John Howarded.

Do you mean they have changed into a hamster :wink: :P :P
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Mon May 12, 2008 8:37 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
gstark wrote:Do you have a known good battery you can try?

Do you mean they have changed into a hamster :wink: :P :P

Close, but no Kewpie doll. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions