Nikon D60 won't allow me to press the shutter button

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D60 won't allow me to press the shutter button

Postby hextagon on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:31 am

Hi,
I was out in a theme park last week, taking pictures with my Nikon D60 in manual mode, can't remember the settings, it was a fine day with a bit of clouds. I don't know why on one or 2 occassions, when I press the shutter button to take photo, it sort of jammed, I know there is nothing wrong with the camera, because it allowed me to click a seconds or 2 later, I think it is the setting or metering reading was going on or something must have been doing, so it stop me from pressing the button. Can someone please explains why is it so?
Thank you,
Regards,
Harry - new/beginner to DSLR world.
hextagon

Re: Nikon D60 won't allow me to press the shutter button

Postby CoryH on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:33 am

I have nevery really used the D60, other than in the shop but my guess would be if you had your Fous setting on AF and the camera could not grab focus on your subject it would not take the shot. I got a bit frustrated with this on my D80 when I first got it, but I found in the viewfinder on the left hand side there is a solid circle indicating "I'm ready to shoot now" if your in AF mode and this circle isnt illuminated there is something wrong, I.E not focused
D80, D90 | SB600 | 18-200 VR | 80 400 VR | 18-135 DX AF-S, 70-300 AF, 50 1.8 | Lotz of other bitz
CoryH

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 pm

:agree:
I have used both the d70 and D200. Both do this if they cannot decide on focus in AF-S mode. On these cameras there is a setting in the menu somewhere to over-ride this. I expect there will be in yours too. It can be very frustrating, but do you want an OOF shot anyway? For me, sometimes the answer is a resounding yes. Sometimes I am glad the camera overrules me. On my cameras AF-C mode will take the photo regardless, or there is always MF. Or as I mentioned there is a setting to change this default behaviour. ALso if you are using an M/A lens, you can nudge the focus ring a little & the camera will decide you have set the focus how you want it and take the shot.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby hextagon on Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:30 pm

thank you all for the explanation, i just check the camera and yes, there is a green light to the lower left in the view finder, once it stops blinking, I can take the shot, when it is not there, I can't press the shutter button. So after all, I think it is a good feature. and no, we dont want an OOF photo (most of the time).
Thanks again,
Regards,
Harry - new/beginner to DSLR world.
hextagon

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions