$1500 to $2000 Australian, what would you buy?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

$1500 to $2000 Australian, what would you buy?

Postby planetthoughtful on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a new camera over the next couple of months, and I'm curious what others would consider if they had a budget of approx $1500 to $2000 Australian to work with?

Some background info:

- I currently own a Canon EOS300D with the standard lens it came with -- this has stopped working (something wrong with its exposure sensor(s) -- it now only takes horribly over- or under-exposed pictures)

- I don't mind starting again with a completely different setup, and in fact I think I'm looking forward to it

- So far I've been most seriously thinking about a Nikon, but also don't want to ignore something better in my pricerange

- I tend to most like landscape photography, but would like to be able to explore other types of photography as the opportunity presents

- I don't mind purchasing from, for example, a supplier like HKS

- I'm not particularly interested in shooting video, but i'm not particularly against it either. For the money I'm spending, I'd like to take the best still photos I can, while being able to shoot video would be a 'nice to have if one day I happen to need it for some reason but wouldn't miss it much if it wasn't there' option.

- For the price, I also need to be able to get a good (or good enough) general purpose / landscape lens.

So, does anyone have any advice? Is there something out in the market at the moment that I should be looking at? Or something upcoming that I should wait for?

Any advice or suggestions very much appreciated!

All the best,

pt
planetthoughtful

Re: $1500 to $2000 Australian, what would you buy?

Postby chrisk on Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:46 pm

40d body $1159. if you dont mind the size/ weight of it, (its a heck of alot bigger than a 300d), then this is a bargain and gives you a good amount left over for a good lens or two.

d90 with 18-105VR kit $1650 odd. not quite ultrawide, but good enough to get you started. this would be my pick in that budget. i'd personally buy an sb800 flash then you have a very versatile kit. with the CF card that should keep to your $2k budget.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:30 pm

Post-processing.

Getting the camera and a lens or two is one thing, processing, organising and optimising images is another. I'd suggest checking out Lightroom which is probably round $300.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby aim54x on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Fuji S5Pro + Tamron Action Kit (SP 17-50mm f/2.8 + 70-300mm + Cokin Portrait filters) then you can afford a bag, CF cards and Lightroom - although I am trying to get my hands on a copy of Hyper Utility 3 (HS-V3) to see if it will better suit my lazy workflow.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby planetthoughtful on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming!

One question: is Lightroom somehow better for postprocessing than Photoshop?
planetthoughtful

Postby aim54x on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:30 pm

planetthoughtful wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming!

One question: is Lightroom somehow better for postprocessing than Photoshop?

Lightroom helps a lot with workflow, it makes a nifty raw processor with very nice global processing options, but for 'editing' photoshop is much more powerful.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby robert on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:00 pm

If you're happy with the size and handling of the 300D you could look at getting a 450D ($1000 with 18-55 IS) and if landscapes is your thing add the 10-22 ($920).

Alternativley go the 40D,$1350 with 18-55 IS, or $1600 with 17-85 IS and spend the rest on software. You will definately need a tripod.

If you think you might expand your photography bag with nicer lenses down the track, start out with the new 50D for $1800.

I tend to think in terms of Canon options cos its what I know but I think another option just as good and cheaper than the 50D is the new Nikon D90.

Whatever you go for I suggest you look at also getting the respective 50mm 1.8. They are around $150 and make a great protrait and low light lens and will undoubtably be sharper than any zoom in your price range.

I would also suggest you go into a store and handle them before you choose. Buying OS is great but you cant make a decision just from pictures or specs.

Robert PS some members are finding that brick and mortar stores in Oz are now competing very favourably with OS (ie Hong Kong) purchases and may even price match.
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby DaveB on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Folks, the 300D isn't far off the 40D in size (although the 40D is heavier). The cameras shrunk when they introduced the 350D, but the 300D is still a reasonable size.

As a Canon user (and currently a 40D user in fact) I'd have to recommend this as a quality and cost-effective basis for a system.
What lens did the 300D come with? Was the 18-55mm part of the original kit for that or did it come later? If it is the EF-S 18-55mm then that will work fine on the 40D as a start, although it isn't the highest-quality lens in the world.
DaveB

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Dave,

My recollection is that the 18-55 did come with the 300D originally.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 pm

I would second Rooz suggestion of at least looking at a Nikon D90, at the price with a free video camera inside it is worth a look. Of course I would not dismiss Canon alternatives. Hate to say stick with entrenched players, but if looking at other systems, check their lens portfolio to see that it will supply everything you are likely to want
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby planetthoughtful on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:14 pm

gstark wrote:Dave,

My recollection is that the 18-55 did come with the 300D originally.

Yes, my 300D definitely did come with an 18-55, although I bought it in San Francisco because that was where I was when my previous camera got stolen. So, up to now I wasn't sure if that's the way it came over here as well.

All the best,

pt
planetthoughtful

Postby mickeyjuice on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:37 am

aim54x wrote:Lightroom helps a lot with workflow, it makes a nifty raw processor with very nice global processing options, but for 'editing' photoshop is much more powerful.

But with LR2, you will probably find yourself going to PS increasingly rarely.
cheers, juice
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickeyjuice/
A bunch of Canon stuff (including Canon & Sigma lenses). Way more gear than talent.
mickeyjuice

Postby aim54x on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 pm

mickeyjuice wrote:
aim54x wrote:Lightroom helps a lot with workflow, it makes a nifty raw processor with very nice global processing options, but for 'editing' photoshop is much more powerful.

But with LR2, you will probably find yourself going to PS increasingly rarely.

I meant LR2 when I said Lightroom, I really should make myself clearer shouldn't I? But then again I also do the same when I say Capture NX (I also refer to Capture NX2 at the same time)
Cameron
aim54x

Postby planetthoughtful on Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm kind of curious about DSLRUsers' policy regarding unsolicited offers for the sale of secondhand camera equipment? I received one by private message pretty quickly after posting my original message. I was a little bemused by the manner in which the person was assuring me that I was being offered an EXCELLENT price (his emphasis). Is there an unspoken understanding here that it's okay to approach members privately in this way? The only thing I found in the FAQ that seemed to come close to this situation was actually dealing, I think, with widespread spamming, rather than targeted offers.

Btw, I'm not actually trying to get anyone into strife -- just wondering what the prevailing etiquette of the forum is?

To the original person: thanks, but if it was truly an EXCELLENT price, I doubt you'd still have it to be able to offer it to me for sale. 8)

All the best,

pt
planetthoughtful

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:05 pm

planetthoughtful wrote:I'm kind of curious about DSLRUsers' policy regarding unsolicited offers for the sale of secondhand camera equipment?

Unsolicited offers would not be something that I would like to see. I shall have one of the mods get more details (by PM) from you.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions