D200 + CLS...

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D200 + CLS...

Postby jdear on Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:59 pm

from http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/speedlight/index.htm
I get the understanding that the D200's built in flash can be used as a master unit and commander... (D70's built in only as a commander)

So im assuming this means you can use the D200's flash to fire and control other Speedlights simultaneously...

Basically I want to know if i buy a D200, and a SB-600 I can then run a 3 flash CLS setup? (with my already owned SB-800)

Jonathan
jdear

Re: D200 + CLS...

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:13 pm

jdear wrote:from http://nikonimaging.com/global/technology/speedlight/index.htm
I get the understanding that the D200's built in flash can be used as a master unit and commander... (D70's built in only as a commander)

So im assuming this means you can use the D200's flash to fire and control other Speedlights simultaneously...

Basically I want to know if i buy a D200, and a SB-600 I can then run a 3 flash CLS setup? (with my already owned SB-800)

Jonathan

Jonathan,
With my understanding, you still require a SU-800 or SB800 as group commander on the D200 to create a full CLS.
The D70 can be used as flash and a commander as well.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby gooseberry on Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:04 pm

Jonathan,

Yes the internal flash on the D200 is a full commander and able to contribute to the exposure as well (rather than jsut being a commander on the D70).

The added thing is that the D200 internal flash can control up to two groups (D70 could only control 1 group and it was fixed at channel A) - which makes it three groups in total if counting the internal flash.

When you set the internal flash on the D200 as commander, it brings up the option of setting the control for the internal flash (off, TTL or Manual), control of Group A (off, TTL or Manual) and control of Group B (off, TTL or Manual).

So in short, you can have a three flash setup with the internal flash, SB-800 and SB-600.
gooseberry

Postby jdear on Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:00 pm

great just what I wanted to hear!

better read up on the d200 manual i d/l the other night to see how this works in practice...

hmmmm multiple flashing... :shock:

Jonathan
jdear

Return to Nikon