Round of applause for Andersons

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Round of applause for Andersons

Postby rdv on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 am

Just felt I needed to do this. Dropped my D70 into Andersons to repair GBLOD on Tuesday last week. It is now tuseday again and I got a phone call yesterday that my camera was ready to be picked up. On top of that they cleaned my sensor for 1/2 price. Very very happy indeed
rdv

Postby Oneputt on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:17 am

On the one occassion that I used Andersons I also thought that their service was good .
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Onyx on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:23 am

Glad you got your camera back in a timely manner rdv. But I'm surprised by your other comment - don't they usually clean sensor for free? They ripped you off at 1/2 price! ;)
Onyx

Re: Round of applause for Andersons

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 am

rdv wrote:Just felt I needed to do this. Dropped my D70 into Andersons to repair GBLOD on Tuesday last week. It is now tuseday again and I got a phone call yesterday that my camera was ready to be picked up. On top of that they cleaned my sensor for 1/2 price. Very very happy indeed

You've been ripped off!!!!!!

Whenever the Nikon DSLR into Maxwell/ Nikon Service center, they have to do, check and clean the sensor for you, especially with BGLOD.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby rdv on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Damn, Hmmm maybe we should tone down the round of applause then. That sux.
rdv

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm

rdv wrote:Damn, Hmmm maybe we should tone down the round of applause then. That sux.

Here's an explaination:

When the D70 in the Service Center, they should open it up and place it on their work bench of their workshop.
How can they guarantee their workshop is dust free?
Unless they're equipped with a glass house and dust free enviroment which I doubt it very much.
After they replaced/ repaired and put everything back, they should test and clean the D70 same as its CCD prior to return it to you. Cleaning CCD is part of the work or job sheet.

Maxwell in Sydney does that with all Nikon DSLR bodies in their Service Center and CCD cleaning is FOC.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby xerubus on Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:48 pm

As per my recommendation in a previous thread a while ago. I had my d70 in there for the bglod .... couple of days turn around, covered under warranty even though warranty had lapsed, and a FREE sensor clean. not sure why they charged you for a sensor clean.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Re: Round of applause for Andersons

Postby samester on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:20 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
rdv wrote:Just felt I needed to do this. Dropped my D70 into Andersons to repair GBLOD on Tuesday last week. It is now tuseday again and I got a phone call yesterday that my camera was ready to be picked up. On top of that they cleaned my sensor for 1/2 price. Very very happy indeed

You've been ripped off!!!!!!

Whenever the Nikon DSLR into Maxwell/ Nikon Service center, they have to do, check and clean the sensor for you, especially with BGLOD.

birdy beat me to it

the cheeky bastards, that kind of thing pisses me off to no end - go back there and give someone a kick in the chops.
samester

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 pm

Had you actually asked them to clean the sensor?

If not, you need to seek a refund because they've performed work that they're billing you for, but which you have not authorised them to do.

That's not legal.

If you had, you should be asking why they've charged you for work that is normally performed within the tasklist of the specific job that the camera was given them for.

that's at best incompetent, but more likely deceptive or dishonest.

Great, eh?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:45 pm

I hope this was just a mistake on their part and not a blatant money grab. You're certainly justified in making stern representations to them.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby rdv on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 pm

gstark wrote:Had you actually asked them to clean the sensor?

If not, you need to seek a refund because they've performed work that they're billing you for, but which you have not authorised them to do.

That's not legal.

If you had, you should be asking why they've charged you for work that is normally performed within the tasklist of the specific job that the camera was given them for.

that's at best incompetent, but more likely deceptive or dishonest.

Great, eh?

They actually asked me whether or not I wanted the sensor cleaned while they had it open and that's when she said they had a special on and were doing it for half price. As I was starting to see some specks on my pics and it hadn't been cleaned since new I told her to go ahead with it. I think I may just call Andersons tomorrow. Does anyone mind if I quote them? Naturally no names will be mentioned. I will let you all know how I go. Thanks for all the info :evil:
rdv

Postby xerubus on Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:32 pm

rdv wrote:Does anyone mind if I quote them? Naturally no names will be mentioned.

no problems. just no name at all.

cheers
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:13 am

By all means; quote away.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby rdv on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:38 am

I have just spent 15 minutes on the phone to Andersons. To cut a long story short Nikon only pay them to change the metering system. The sensor clean is a seperate job. It is not their practice to clean the sensor whenever they work on a camera but will check it prior to opening it up and if need contact the owner to ask them whether they want it cleaned. When I explained to her that a few people had gone to them before with the same problem and had a sensor clean done for free, her reasons were that they have just had new admin staff come in and they may have thought that it was included as part of the deal. She said that different independents operate differently and some may offer it as a free service but they do not. Throughout all this she was very nice and almost apologetic.

Oh well. :?
rdv

Postby big pix on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:44 am

What happens if they add dust to the sensor and you complain ........ do you have it cleaned for free or half price ???? or start how and when did the dust get on the sensor and who pays for the clean

sounds like a quick buck to me.........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:03 am

As Bernie has said.

and the process is one that virtually gurantees that they're going to contaminate your CCD.

Are they working in a clean room?

Perhaps call Maxwells and ask them if the job includes a clean. Don't mention Andersons, but do mention that you're dissatisified with a service that your camera has recently undergone.

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Nikon