D100 histogram plus blinking highlights?

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

D100 histogram plus blinking highlights?

Postby DaveB on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:50 pm

I've been playing with a D100 today (about to convert it to dedicated IR). The UI is quite different to the EOS bodies: some things I like (e.g. the position of the DOF preview button) but others seem alien and backward (e.g. having to change your shooting mode to "ISO" and then back again to change the ISO).

Anyway, there's one thing I'm stuck on at the moment. It might not be possible, but I'd like to get the camera into a mode where on image review (e.g. immediately after a shot) the image is displayed with blinking highlights as well as a histogram.
In the Playback Menu I have "Display Mode" set to "Both" which seems like it should do the trick, but either I'm not holding my mouth the wrong way when looking at the camera or it's not doing jack...
I can cycle through various display modes, but none of them have both the blinking highlights and the histogram active on the same screen.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
DaveB

Postby DaveB on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I think I've just answered my own question: the Display Mode setting adds a histogram and/or a blinking highlights screen into the cycle of displays, but it's not possible to have both on the one screen.
Correct?
DaveB

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:02 pm

I don't know if it's its true for the D100 but its seems true for the D70 AFAIK.
Alpha_7

Postby myarhidia on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:03 pm

DaveB wrote:I think I've just answered my own question: the Display Mode setting adds a histogram and/or a blinking highlights screen into the cycle of displays, but it's not possible to have both on the one screen.
Correct?

Correct. From memory, the option was available only with the original firmware that came with the camera. Once you have updated the firmware, then you only have the option to cycle through them as you have indicated above. I recall having this option once upon a time however I could also be confused as I was using an S1Pro at the time as well.
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
myarhidia

Location: Kingsgrove, Sydney, So where the bloody hell are you?

Postby DaveB on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:48 pm

As someone who's (since 2000) been used to looking at the LCD and seeing at a glance both the image (possibly with blinking highlights) and the histogram (to the side: not overlaid on the image) this seems very "retro" (and not in a good way).

Who has time to flip between screens when chimping? Being able to see the flashing highlights can be useful on its own, but even more so in the context of evaluating the histogram! I'm glad to see the newer cameras like the D200 offer them all on one screen.

Am I just being a curmudgeon? :roll:
DaveB

Return to Nikon